Burris MTAC 1-4
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mjorin

Thread: Burris MTAC 1-4

Sig[OP]

Burris MTAC 1-4

Ending up getting one today in the mail. On the gun but won't be able to go out back till tomorrow or Sunday afternoon hopefully.

First impressions I'm VERY happy with the optic, particularly since it was $350.

I've read some complaints on the 2.5 MOA dot being too big, but just looking through the glass, it's very easy to pick up targets with the recticle (my aging eyes aren't what they use to be). Brightness settings are great, and on it's highest setting, outdoor sunlight has little effect on it.

Just looking through it on 4x, works almost as good as the ACOG using the BAC method.

Glass is good.

I was on the fence between this scope and the PST 1-4, but had heard too many complaints on the PST having too fine of a recticle as well as the illumination being washed out too easy in daylight. Could never find one to look through, but came across an older model of Burris at Gander mountain the other day (at $500) and looked through and the glass seemed pretty darn good (same recticle). Figure the newer model couldn't be worse.

This glass isn't as clear as the Razor HD 1-6, but for the price point, it comes pretty darn close. Built pretty sturdy as well, and the weight is right around 16 oz.
    If assholes could fly, this place would be JFK international.

Best of luck with that!
    Your post made me curious, so I went on to the Burris site to see whether I'd missed something or not.
    I bought a ballistic drop compensating scope once. Just once. It wasn't cheap - a Leupold Mk4 M3. For "energy on target" in an area where you've done all the ballistic matching, they can be fast and accurate. Well, as accurate as you can manipulate your ballistics to match their reticle.
    But they're very limited in my opinion, too limited for my tastes.
    If anything though, yours might work better - the reticle limits you to 600. The real large abberations due to scope height (distance between barrel and scope axes) only get worse with longer distances.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that canít be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Sig[OP]
    Come on man, I'm old. I view BDC scopes as kind of like throwing hand grenades

When I was 18, I could use the irons on a M16 out to 600 meters with little problem. Now I have a hard time seeing a pie plate at 200 yards with my eyes LOL

What I found nice about the Burris was the dot (and circle surrounding the dot) was big enough and could be bright enough, it was kind of like mixing a Acog/EO tech/variable power optic all in one with a GREAT price point. Heck the QD mount ending up costing 60% of the scope. Could use the BAC just like on a Acog on 4x, and the circle around the dot seemed great for close up range work at 1x just like a EO tech. I found the FOV excellent.

I live in western part of NC where if you have 400 yards (or greater) of un obstructive view more of a rarity than a norm (unless your high up on a big hill looking down).

Burris never crossed my mind when looking for a 1-4, but this little guy seemed to fill a nitch pretty well for my intended use (primarily out back behind the house).

You do get what you pay for, but for $350 bucks, hard to beat.

Now, if it breaks on me the next couple of weeks, then it's a piece of crap and I screwed up
    Last edited by Sig; 09-20-2014 at 06:58 AM.
    If assholes could fly, this place would be JFK international.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I have had the Burris on my L since I got it. It has been great. BDC works well out to 200....that is the furthest I can shoot at my range. Mine came with the FastFire III.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Sig, I feel your pain!
    The slowfire - prone stage of service rifle was where I made my serious points. But those days are far gone.......

I picked up the Vortex 1-4 for your same reasons. That circle - dot reminded me of an EoTech, and on 1X I could run it like one too. And the circle (18 MOA inside, 22 MOA outside) was a fast rangefinder like the EoTech too.

For 400 and in, I'd bet that you could do some ballistic matching (Sierra Infinity helped me get real close to the sweet spot on the M25) with a chronograph and some loading, and hook it up dead on. I was looking for 800 and in (on the -M) so that was a little different story

I haven't tried to do any ballistic matching for years, but I'm pretty sure I could lay my hands on that software again, if you want me to crunch some numbers for you. Just be warned that Sierra figures their BC differently than other companies, so with Sierra bullets it's really close, but not so much with other brands. For the Hornady 168 AMAXes, I've got an app for that Ha!
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that canít be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Come on man, I'm old. I view BDC scopes as kind of like throwing hand grenades

When I was 18, I could use the irons on a M16 out to 600 meters with little problem. Now I have a hard time seeing a pie plate at 200 yards with my eyes LOL

What I found nice about the Burris was the dot (and circle surrounding the dot) was big enough and could be bright enough, it was kind of like mixing a Acog/EO tech/variable power optic all in one with a GREAT price point. Heck the QD mount ending up costing 60% of the scope. Could use the BAC just like on a Acog on 4x, and the circle around the dot seemed great for close up range work at 1x just like a EO tech. I found the FOV excellent.

I live in western part of NC where if you have 400 yards (or greater) of un obstructive view more of a rarity than a norm (unless your high up on a big hill looking down).

Burris never crossed my mind when looking for a 1-4, but this little guy seemed to fill a nitch pretty well for my intended use (primarily out back behind the house).

You do get what you pay for, but for $350 bucks, hard to beat.

Now, if it breaks on me the next couple of weeks, then it's a piece of crap and I screwed up
    I believe you will find Burris optics to be very good. I think they are one of the best values out their. They have a lifetime warranty and "most" of their product is still made in the USA. They, also, have not let them run away with their name like Leupold. I'm not too happy with Leupold as of late--great product, getting to be ridiculous prices. $5K
    for their newest MK8? This scope is marketed to the government, so thanks for the tax payer screwing. I have called Leupold and told them I didn't appreciate them taking advantage of the taxpayer, not much response. Ross Seyfried, the old IPSC world champion and expert on everything guns and hunting told me on many occasions that he could have any scope in the world pretty much for the asking. But, instead he spent his own money on Burris and thought they were fantastic. One thing about Ross, he doesn't flip any bull and tells it how it is--which some people say is pompous, but I say is rare.

Just as a side note--the gate to his previous ranch had a big metal sign on it that said "NO" and that was about it. I always had to call ahead so they could go down and unlock the gate for me. I just thought it was kind of funny and took care of alot of problems. I really appreciated Ross as a friend and his wealth of knowledge on firearms was amazing. I also had the pleasure of coon fingering some unbelievable firearms, many of which are historic.
    Bravo likes this.

Sponsors