Leupold Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) M6C1
Like Tree8Likes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leupold Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) M6C1

Leupold Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) M6C1

Leupold Optics Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) M6C1 - | Leupold Optics

It's been a long time since I had a magnifying optic on my close quarters rifle (XCR-L). Back in 2003-ish I put an Aimpoint M68 on my rifle and had it on until I received this scope from Leupold late this Spring.

Last week I put it through the wash cycle, if not the wringer. Taught a Patrol Rifle class at the Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy (OPOTA) in London, OH. Miserable weather - 40's, 25 mph wind gusts, and pouring down rain. I stopped closing my Butler Creek scope caps because they weren't keeping any rain out, and every time I fired, I elevated the muzzle a little to let the accumulated rain water drain from the ocular lens. This scope also takes a CR2032 battery to power the center aiming point, and I fully expected the water to work into the electronics at some point and cause problems. On 1 power I can use it like my old Aimpoint, with both eyes open. Because it is a magnifying optic, eye relief / consistent cheek weld is more critical than with a reflex sight like the Aimpoint.

This scope is a war club. The rain literally running off of it had zero effect on the internals. After class concluded I wiped down my rifle with Break Free, wiped off the scope with paper towels from the men's room, and threw it into my Pelican case to ship back home.

Five days later, the rifle caught up with me back home. The sling was still wet, there was rust on the barrel extension (had a little difficulty getting the barrel removed), but the scope was crystal clear and the illuminated aiming reticle worked just fine. The rifle was in worse shape than the scope. Fired what the Academy had for me to use - some Russian manufacture Hornady 55 grain in green steel lacquer cases. The powder must have been black powder - I've never seen carbon fouling as deep into the gas system (and my well-broken in rifle is set to 1) as I saw when I finally got the rifle apart. Took me the whole morning to get the rifle clean - usually it's a 20 - 30 minute job.

Next month I get to test it's night vision settings with some FLIR clip on thermal imaging, going after feral hogs in South Texas in the dark. Even when it rains, life is good!
    Merlin and CB3 like this.

That scope is more than a new -M

CB3
    Hi Ben. Welcome back. I met you at the Utah County Sherrif's range in Spanish Fork Canyon, Utah, about 7 years ago at a law enforcement training shoot. I was working for Barnes Bullets at the time. You were a great proponent of the XCR then, and Alex came down to the shoot with some of his guns. Good times.

I have looked at this Leupold 1-6x scope for the last six months to top my next .308 General Purpose Rifle. Thanks for the good review. I plan to order an XCR-M and the Mark 6 next week.

I have used the Leupold MK4 MRT 1.5-5x on my FAL for the last four years for CQB ranges out to 600 yards with great effect. However, the 1.5 is just a little off for both eyes open close range shooting, and the 5x is actually 4.6x, so at distance I am actually a little short on magnification. As well, the tube is small, so I bottom out elevation past 675 yards when sighted in at 100 yards. I had Leupold make me a BDC specifically for the Barnes 168 grn TTSX which is my go-to round, but other 168 grn match loads work well for less expensive practice. The set up is about a 2 MOA shooter, but scope and rifle are extremely reliable.

I think the new XCR-M and this Leupy 1-6 will be a great improvement over my favorite battle rifle.

Have you you used it for longer ranges?

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

CB3

DoubleStar is considering putting together a package deal with this scope and their Designated Marksman rifle after I let a DoubleStar employee take a look through it at the IALEFI Annual Training Conference in Amarillo, TX this past April:

DoubleStar | Be Victorious

Not an XCR (O.K., I'm going a little off-topic here), but the highest quality AR variants I've seen - absolutely NO MIM internals - all forged and milled only! I'm also waiting on my DoubleStar Combat Pistol (1911) from them - great company, great people!

I was just going off the price in the OPs link.

I wish I could afford it.

Cool stuff Ben! And welcome back!

One of my buddies has that M6 issued to him, and speaks very highly of it. So much so that I've decided to take a serious look at it (and their other stuff) at SHOT in January. I was extremely PRO Leupold for years (their Mk4 fixed-power scopes are super rugged IMHO), but then they got a VP named York that made me hate the company. Now that he's been sacked, I'm completely abivalent about buying from them. If they want my business, they'll have to earn it away from Nightforce.

But I'm open to the concept ;-)
    I went with a 1-4 (less expensive) scope to test my hypotheses on scoped optics and DMR usage. Unfortunately, I don't much care for 4X as an upper end - it just doesn't allow clear target ID at realistic ranges. Well, unless the target is wearing bright colors and is stationary (GRIN). I'd prefer a 1-10X, but I'm betting that if someone actually made one, it'd cost me a car or two.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by LoadedDrum View Post
    I was just going off the price in the OPs link.

That's just MSRP. No one should ever pay MSRP.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Thanks, Bravo. I quit the forum at a time when it seemed like everything I wrote under contract for a private company ended up on the web. (See my recent post under the Robinson Armorer's Manual thread, won't repeat it here.) So I did my Miyamoto Musashi and retreated to my metaphysical cybernetic mountain top, until, oddly enough at this past SHOT Show a couple of companies sat down and discussed doing business with me, one of them being Leupold and Stevens. I'm working with their Tactical and International Sales Departments, both now under the same VP.

As Sean suggested, I read some of my past posts, and yes, I do come across as a bigger as___le than I am in real life. (I blame my failed venture into online dating for that.) So, I'm trying to be a kinder, gentler, recovering as___le these days.

Don't know if anyone makes a true 1 power to 10 power scope. Most of what you see (and you would know) is something like 2.5 - 10 or 3 - 9. I really like the fact that when I dial the Mark 6 down to 1 power, I can use it with the illuminated center dot with both eyes open. The Binden Aiming concept with magnifying optics never worked for me. Maybe I'm visually challenged, but every time I kept both eyes open with an ACOG and moved the muzzle rapidly, I thought I was going to hurl when I stopped the muzzle.

L&S just came out with their Mark 8 line - hit the web site yesterday. If I'm a really, really good boy I might get to look through / shoot with one in a couple of weeks (bunch of L&S folks coming down to South Texas to do our part in eradicating feral hogs from helicopters).

Feel free to PM me if you're interested in the Mk 6 1-6. I'll be with their VP and Manager of International / Tactical Sales for 7 days -
    Merlin, Sean K. and mjorin like this.

Anyone have any experience with the IOR-Valdada 1-10x26? I'm strongly considering this model for a planned .308 semi-auto buy. 1-10x26 35mm LTS TACTICAL SCOPE XTREME X1 ILLUMINATED

I have their 2-12x36 "Spartan" and for the most part like it. A bit heavy, but with a 35mm tube that's expected. Glass is good, with just a bit more reflection than my Leupold scopes. Mounts for a 35mm tube are almost nonexistent though.
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors