One piece mount? - Page 6
Like Tree5Likes
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: One piece mount?

Quote Originally Posted by Brianmac65 View Post
    What did you cut your buffer tube with?
    Beer.
    I work with machinists that have nice lathes.
    I hand them parts and beer, they churn my stuff out while waiting on other things ;-)
    mjorin likes this.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by zeuce View Post
    You should use a castle nut otherwise the tube will back off. I could be wrong but since my buffer tube came with one its on there. Think of a jam nut on a tie rod if your automotively inclined. I have the 3/4 riser on my ctr and its perfectly in line with the top rail so its perfect for high mounts. To each there own tho youll find what works for you.

Is that scope mount QD? Your concerned with using your BUIS but if the scope cant be removed how will you use them. Mine isnt QD hence my offset irons.
    I guess if the scope craps out I could unscrew the mount.. . Or smash it off. All kidding aside , I figured the weight , at 3 ounces far out weighed the importance of QD. How much thread is showing on your buffer tube. There's about an inch showing on mine , the castle nut won't cover that. It hasn't moved yet anyways
    Last edited by Brianmac65; 12-12-2014 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Beer.
    I work with machinists that have nice lathes.
    I hand them parts and beer, they churn my stuff out while waiting on other things ;-)
    I'm in luck then, I have one of the 2 requirements. Beer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I just put on my 3/4 riser ,and it's much better. Zeuce my buffer tube has a groove on the bottom of it,there's a set screw in the dlask adapter that screws into that groove, so the set screw would have to come out first before the buffer tube can move. But there is a lot of thread showing. Regards to the QD ,I thought the idea of those were, if your scope craps out and it's a life and death situation,then you could remove the scope in a hurry. Any other purpose that the QD serves? I don't see any other reason why I would even use the BUIS.

Sig
    You should use a castle nut otherwise the tube will back off. I could be wrong but since my buffer tube came with one its on there.
    I believe what is more important on the XCR (on a fixed stock) is that little set screw under the fixed stock adaptor. One could argue that unless you steak that castle nut, it could always come loose, although mine never has.
    If assholes could fly, this place would be JFK international.

Yes ,I have the CTR adjustable stock,it has a set screw in the adapter so need of a castle nut. My sling mounts to my stock via a sling stud. The only thing I don't like is the 1 inch of of thread still showing.

On the set screw, it really doesn't do that much to keep things from shifting.
    The shifting pissed me off once, and I torqued that set screw down - and bent in the bottom of the buffer tube with it.

I've got a friend, blue loctite. I don't care about the set screw, but the castle nut "fills a gap" for me. Blue loctite is what keeps things from rattling loose.

ETA: not the best picture, but the best I could come up with quick. You can see the shortened castle nut, the shortened buffer tube, and how it all comes together.
    Oh yeah, and I had to "notch" the fixed stock adapter too, to accommodate the one-point part that's really designed for the M4.
    One piece mount?-xcr-sling-attachment.png
    Last edited by Bravo; 12-12-2014 at 08:51 AM.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

To answer your question from the picture thread, ive got 1 thread showing.

To answer your question from the picture thread, ive got 1 thread showing.
    I have an inch or better of thread showing so even with the castle nut , which is maybe 1/2 inch at best , I'd still have a lot of thread exposed...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Sponsors