Primary Arms Red dot
Like Tree38Likes
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primary Arms Red dot

Primary Arms Red dot

Picked this red dot up last month to put on a M&P 15-22

Primary Arms Advanced Micro Dot with Push Buttons MD-ADS | Primary Arms

Have to admit, so far (yes, not much time), I've been very impressed with it.

I own both less expensive red dots and some stupid money red dots, and so far, I'm kind of liking this one the best so far (undstood it's only on a .22). Time will tell though I realize and perhaps the sight will explode in 6 months and my feelings will change.

I actually looked for another one of these, couldn't find one, then came across something (I could of mis read it) that Holosun made the primary arms brand (no clue if that's fact or fiction). Did look at the Holuson 403 red dot, and they look amazingly alike (perhaps same plant out of China, no clue).

Fed ex did screw my cheap mount choice up though, and I was bummed, but then realized that I knew I had a spare Larue QD mount laying around somewhere. The cheap mount showed up the other day, now I'm not sure I want to use it LOL
    If assholes could fly, this place would be JFK international.

It's the next red dot I'm going to buy.

The Holosun with the motion detection actuation is a little more money and frankly, I don't like the feature as it's just something else to break IMO.

My understanding is that they are all made by the same mfg....there's an even cheaper branded one that retails for like $150....that is the same as the Holosun. I can't remember the name though; my buddy bought one and it's been great so far.

Reading the reviews...sounds like there have been a few minor problems with occasional lemon units that were resolved by shipping a new one....but it looks to be rare. For the money....they seem to be a great deal.

I personally wish someone made a model like this one: Primary Arms Micro Dot With Removable Base - MD-RBGII - Primary Arms that has the on/off and brightest settings/battery compartment like a real Aimpoint...but with the 5 year life span.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I'm glad your Holosun works.......
    A buddy of mine bought one, and it barely survived the sight-in process before it tanked.
    Technically it still "works", but the detents in the adjustments are now missing in action, and the dot makes significant zero adjustments between shots automatically.
    My opinion of them is that you're using it right - I'd chance putting it on a 22 as well.
    Not on anything I'd risk my - or anyone elses - neck on.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    I'm glad your Holosun works.......
    A buddy of mine bought one, and it barely survived the sight-in process before it tanked.
    Technically it still "works", but the detents in the adjustments are now missing in action, and the dot makes significant zero adjustments between shots automatically.
    My opinion of them is that you're using it right - I'd chance putting it on a 22 as well.
    Not on anything I'd risk my - or anyone elses - neck on.
    Did your friend send it back and get a new one? I ask b/c it appears that lemons do crop up...but the vast majority are happy with them and they are reliable even on ARs and AKs....once you get a working one. For my AKs...I can't justify the cost of an Aimpoint for a gun that was $480...so I plan to put one of these on one to try out (eventually).
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    It's the next red dot I'm going to buy.

The Holosun with the motion detection actuation is a little more money and frankly, I don't like the feature as it's just something else to break IMO.

My understanding is that they are all made by the same mfg....there's an even cheaper branded one that retails for like $150....that is the same as the Holosun. I can't remember the name though; my buddy bought one and it's been great so far.

Reading the reviews...sounds like there have been a few minor problems with occasional lemon units that were resolved by shipping a new one....but it looks to be rare. For the money....they seem to be a great deal.

I personally wish someone made a model like this one: Primary Arms Micro Dot With Removable Base - MD-RBGII - Primary Arms that has the on/off and brightest settings/battery compartment like a real Aimpoint...but with the 5 year life span.
    Also seems looking, that the Holosun also keeps the battery under the unit (doing away with the battery compartment on the side of the unit) which for some reason, I don't like.

I believe I have the unit you posting a link to is sitting on a Ruger Mark 3. Personally, this new unit I like a lot better, as the red dot seems to be a lot brighter if need be. Seems the battery on the unit doesn't last as long to boot (but that's part of my own fault no doubt for forgetting to turn the unit off before putting it away).
    Last edited by Sig; 04-09-2016 at 10:40 AM.

Talk about the irony...

Out today with my one boy...

This is with the unit turned OFF.

Primary Arms Red dot-pa-issue-.png

A closer look

Primary Arms Red dot-pa-issue-3.png

Only a issue in daylight. Reflection.

Thing is, when the unit is on, it's like you have two bright dots you're looking at, which is very distracting and you have more "red reflected light" to deal with (again, only in light, I go under the deck where there is overhead light from the sun, and no issues).

Don't seem to have this issue with my less expensive PA's red dot, and I don't think I'm out of line by not liking what I'm now getting what I paid for.

Hope I don't have to contact the seller for a copy of my invoice as I most likely threw it away.

I'll send them off a e-mail with pics and see what they say….
    Last edited by Sig; 04-09-2016 at 01:33 PM.

If you want the PA micro dot, and can't find it anywhere (they go out of stock fast) take a look at the Holosun brand red dots. The two are essentially the same (probably same manufacturer). I have a Holosun Paralow 503c with the solar assist and switchable dot or circle-dot reticle. Claimed battery life is 50,000 hours. It's withstood 12 ga fire with no issues. Yes, if you look hard enough online, you'll find cases of failures. Same goes for the PA unit and just about anything else on the market. From what've seen, Holosun is responsive with warranty claims. The 503c has an auto mode also. Shut down on its own, turns back on when motion/inertia is detected.

One small downside with the Holosun microdots: because the battery tray sits just under the optic, you can not get absolute co-witness unless you get the mount from SLR Rifleworks (Holosun Mount - Absolute). The riser that is bundled with the Holosun is lower 1/3 co-witness. An low profile mount is also included with each unit sold, which is probably good for railed conventional shotguns and AKs modified with rear slight leaf mounts or railed gas tube covers. From what I've seen, the Holosun is compatible with other T1/T2 mounts. If you run absolute co-witness T1/T2 mounts, your dot will end up being slightly higher.

FWIW, Vortex showed a new Sparc AR that uses a single AAA. Due out this summer (supposedly).
    Last edited by fmunk; 04-09-2016 at 01:59 PM.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Did your friend send it back and get a new one? I ask b/c it appears that lemons do crop up...but the vast majority are happy with them and they are reliable even on ARs and AKs....once you get a working one. For my AKs...I can't justify the cost of an Aimpoint for a gun that was $480...so I plan to put one of these on one to try out (eventually).
    I don't believe he did....
    After that one failed - and he gave it to me to verify that it was a bad optic, which I did - he bought an Aimpoint PRO. And I should mention that a PRO on sale is about 100 bucks more than he spent on that Holosun.

When I was at SHOT, I talked to the Holosun people about this failure, and eventually they handed me off to a VP who gave me his card and said he'd take care of it personally if I got him to send it in.
    He said that the warranty was for 1 year, although they typically "take care of" units after that. Whatever that means. My buddy was within the 1 year mark, and I sent him the contact info and everything.
    I just don't think he ever put in the effort to find the broken optic and send it in.

On dot optics, Aimpoint is my "go to" manufacturer. It's the only manufacturer that I've ever owned (at least that I can recall) that I haven't broken at least one. Heck, as much as I like Trijicon, I've got one that UPS says will be back home on Monday - after getting worked over - and one still in my pile of parts, because it's non-functional. I may just sell it, and put an Aimpoint T1 or T2 on the same type 45 degree mount, if I'm not utterly impressed with the repair / refurb. Granted, I'll likely have to cought up a couple hundred to make that transition......
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    I don't believe he did....
    After that one failed - and he gave it to me to verify that it was a bad optic, which I did - he bought an Aimpoint PRO. And I should mention that a PRO on sale is about 100 bucks more than he spent on that Holosun.

When I was at SHOT, I talked to the Holosun people about this failure, and eventually they handed me off to a VP who gave me his card and said he'd take care of it personally if I got him to send it in.
    He said that the warranty was for 1 year, although they typically "take care of" units after that. Whatever that means. My buddy was within the 1 year mark, and I sent him the contact info and everything.
    I just don't think he ever put in the effort to find the broken optic and send it in.

On dot optics, Aimpoint is my "go to" manufacturer. It's the only manufacturer that I've ever owned (at least that I can recall) that I haven't broken at least one. Heck, as much as I like Trijicon, I've got one that UPS says will be back home on Monday - after getting worked over - and one still in my pile of parts, because it's non-functional. I may just sell it, and put an Aimpoint T1 or T2 on the same type 45 degree mount, if I'm not utterly impressed with the repair / refurb. Granted, I'll likely have to cought up a couple hundred to make that transition......
    So B. hurry up and field test the Shield for us. I can't wait for mjorin, he seems to be ignoring us telling him to get one. Name:  puppy_dog_eyes.gif
Views: 430
Size:  244 Bytes

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors