• 1 Post By fmunk
  • 2 Post By fmunk
  • 3 Post By fmunk
  • 1 Post By Sean K.
  • 1 Post By fmunk
  • 3 Post By Merlin

Thread: ARKEN Optics?

ARKEN Optics?

Anyone tried the Arken Optics scopes yet? Thanks!!
    RobertSlaughter likes this.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Never heard of Arken. So many optic companies these days, I wonder how many will still be around a few years down the road. Specs look pretty good. Price looks really good. I like the 34mm tube, zero stop and the Horus-esque FFP reticle. If this is going on a .308, I would go for the 6-24x.

This guy is familiar with high-end glass and he seems impressed:

Last edited by fmunk; 12-09-2019 at 09:20 PM.
    Merlin likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

No idea either....but for the price the Primary Arms ACSS 1-6X or 1-8X optics (FFP or SFP for the cheaper ones) are really good...and inexpensive enough to have commonality on the majority of your guns.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

PA definitely has a very good reputation and probably isn't going anywhere soon. Their ACSS reticles (there are so many variants now) are great for fast shooting and those who don't like doing math. For precision mid to long range though, reticle like Arken's is very nice to have. It all depends on what the scope is going on and what you do with it.

I recently picked up a Sig Tango6 6-24x on clearance with their DEV-L MRAD reticle on clearance. Very pleased with it. It is basically the Arken of the same magnification plus illumination, a built-in digital level and a little bit more flash.
    Sean K. and Merlin like this.

Haven't seen Merlin post in a while. Hope he is OK.

On topic of scopes, back when Ed Verdugo transitioned sales of his 1-6x to Norden Peformance, I thought he was pulling out of the game. Just recently realized that he's still very much at it. I've been working my ass off 10-12+ hour days (from home) trying to hang on to my job. Haven't really had time to dig deeper until just now.

Ed announced at Shot '19 a new FFP 1.1-10x and it looks very promising. For just $575 too! Yes, it's Chinese made (same manufacture as the Atibal 1-10x). But, for FFP and Ed's excellent reticle? It's low cost enough where you won't cry too much if it gets banged up. I think it'd be a fit for the workhorse AR-10/SR-25 and the XCR-M. Like its Atibal cousin, it has a 34mm tube. I can't tell from the videos I've watched whether the turrets are metal or plastic. His 1-6x had junky plastic turrets, which I hated. Atibal's 1-10x has exposed metal turrets with very positive clicks (but a relatively crude reticle).

Here's Ed talking about his T1 reticle at Shot '19:

Here's ome through-the-scope footage on a 600y target. You can tell the glass is definitely not Nightforce or Vortex Razor HD good. But, it's also almost a third of the cost.

Ed talking about the scope:

Last edited by fmunk; 04-05-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks for posting that fmunk. I have two of his scopes and like 'em. A 1.1-10X FFP at that price point (assuming it holds up) is a great deal...even if the glass isn't great.
    fmunk likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Thanks for posting that fmunk. I have two of his scopes and like 'em. A 1.1-10X FFP at that price point (assuming it holds up) is a great deal...even if the glass isn't great.
    From the looks of it, I think* the capped turrets are plastic. You can see how it wobbles just by him barely touching it in the third video. I had the 1-6x on a M1A at one point. And while zeroing, one of the spent cases got wedged perfectly between the windage knob and charging handle. The case gouged and melted a crescent shaped groove in the knob. A bit annoying considering that scope cost more than this one.

If the work situation doesn't get worse this month, I think I may get one of these to slap on top of my MDR. The Atibal is worth looking into too. Mil based reticle. Retails for a little more, but has very decent exposed locking turrets.
    Last edited by fmunk; 04-05-2020 at 01:51 PM.
    Sean K. likes this.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Haven't seen Merlin post in a while. Hope he is OK.

On topic of scopes, back when Ed Verdugo transitioned sales of his 1-6x to Norden Peformance, I thought he was pulling out of the game. Just recently realized that he's still very much at it. I've been working my ass off 10-12+ hour days (from home) trying to hang on to my job. Haven't really had time to dig deeper until just now.

Ed announced at Shot '19 a new FFP 1.1-10x and it looks very promising. For just $575 too! Yes, it's Chinese made (same manufacture as the Atibal 1-10x). But, for FFP and Ed's excellent reticle? It's low cost enough where you won't cry too much if it gets banged up. I think it'd be a fit for the workhorse AR-10/SR-25 and the XCR-M. Like its Atibal cousin, it has a 34mm tube. I can't tell from the videos I've watched whether the turrets are metal or plastic. His 1-6x had junky plastic turrets, which I hated. Atibal's 1-10x has exposed metal turrets with very positive clicks (but a relatively crude reticle).

Here's Ed talking about his T1 reticle at Shot '19:

Here's ome through-the-scope footage on a 600y target. You can tell the glass is definitely not Nightforce or Vortex Razor HD good. But, it's also almost a third of the cost.

Ed talking about the scope:

Hey Guys,

Sorry haven't posted much in the last few months. No excuse but I have a new job since last year and been busting my butt too and then this COVID (Destroyer of our Freedoms) thing started. Hope this find you All well and secure in your jobs and family lives. Been keeping in contact with Bravo and he's been hanging in there. Can't promise that I will be more active again but I do think of you guys all the time.

Some things that run through my mind lately;
    • I hope this 'Woke' people up to defend their 2nd and All the Bill of Right!
    • How this Flynn saga will turn out. Obamagate!?
    • I sure hope Trump wins again, because a Democrap will definitely sell out the country.
    • That you all stay well and safe!
    fmunk, Sean K. and RobertSlaughter like this.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Sponsors