M.I. Front Sight Problem

Thread: M.I. Front Sight Problem

M.I. Front Sight Problem

I understand that the Midwest Industries front sight threads can be filed down about 1/8" if desired, and I do desire. But the problem I am having is finding the correct size nut to put on first before I file. I read somewhere that an 8/32 nut would work, had one in the shed, tried to screw it on and it stopped pretty quickly. Went to Lowe's on the nut and bolt aisle, they have a board hanging on one of the beams so that you can size your nuts and bolts. I tried the front sight post in the 8/32 spot on the board and it would not go in but maybe one turn. Then I tried it in the M4-.70 metric slot and it screwed right in no problem. I took one of the bags with the M4-.70 nuts and before I left the store I tried my sight in the nut and the SOB would not go in. I tried several times to make sure I wasn't cross threading. I took one of the M4-.70 metric bolts and the Martha Fletcher screwed into the M4-.70 nut. WTF!!!!!! >

Now I need a beer.

DSM

Re: M.I. Front Sight Problem

I think it's really an 8-36 pitch (not too common) and it was probably my post that led you astray! If you're going to file it I don't think it'll matter much. Just trim it down and bevel the edge slightly. Using a grinding wheel is where the nut pays off because it gets hot enough to warp the threads. As long as it shortens it and works for your zero it shouldn't be a worry, no one will see it buried in the sight post well anyhow!
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

m118sb,

I really do appreciate the info, that helps. I'll just file it slowly.

BMMV

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

DSM

I don't think you'll have any troubles with it but give us a post when you get the chance and let us know how it turned out, there's probably some other folks that'll benefit from someone's experience.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

Sponsors