Need help with optics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with optics

Need help with optics

Just picked up a XCR in 7.62x39 as my SHTF gun. (Chose the "AK" round due to cost, availability and knock-down vs 5.56 but that is another subject). Will not set it up to be a sniper or range piece. I am looking for optics to support CQB out to 300 yards. Am thinking I want ilumination and magnification that can withstand hard use.

Please let me know your thoughts and what has worked for you. I have a pinned VLTOR stock (crazy CT gun laws) and would like to get a good check weld. Co-witness is a nice-to-have but not essential. The ACOG from my Sig 556 rides too high. Please include your experience with the right mounts to get the right cheek weld. Would like to keep the cost reasonable but will consider higher cost options if supported by performance.

Many thanks in advance.

DSM

Re: Need help with optics

If you're worried about an end of time scenario look at an Aimpoint CompM4 or Micro because battery life is measured in years and not hours. EOTechs and others in the Aimpoint line up are great but battery life isn't as great, and in terms of the 3v battery versions isn't bad but not great, comparitively. Both options will accept a magnifier but if you're sticking to 300m and under maybe the extra weight of a magnifier isn't worth the benefit.

Another option, given the same scenario, would be something like a Trijicon Reflex or tri-power since neither really requires batteries (tri-power does take batteries if you want to crank up the illume but is a fiber optic type sight). The ACOG would be another good choice but you can also drop the VLTOR stock and go to a CTR with a cheek riser to mitigate the cheek weld concern. A TA31F or any of the BAC style sights would be best so you can use the fiber optic aim point as a CQB set up.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

I believe the reflex and tri-power will sit lower to the rail also.

And of course there are a number of compact 1-4 scopes out there.

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Can't figure out what SHTF is... Bet when you tell me, I will be slappin my forehead :duh:

How much cash are you willing to shell out???

I have had my eyes on the Valdada Pitbull for a while. Cost is about $1300 though so I am waiting. I have the T-1(on the Larue HK mount) with Titan Stubbies as BUIS for now. Love the set-up, it is light weight and provides a descent cheekweld with the XCR tubular folding stock.

For use on the XCR, I prefer scopes without a built in mount so you can tailor the height above bore. It sounds like a 1-4 variable would meet your needs. I run the trijicon TR24 and am very very pleased with it. I can't say I am slower at CQB with it than a red dot and it works better than a red dot and seperate magnifier for me. The eye releif is very forgiving.

I run it in Burris 1/2 tall rings which gives a great cheek weld, but then you can'r run a rear BUIS as it won't clear.

A Burris 1-4 would work as well, but I wanted day time illumination. The latest Burris is supposed to have much better illumination just not quite daytime illumination.

Some may worry about the lack of back up sights and I do when running a battery only sight, but I have never had a quality optic in a good mount fail on me.

"SHTF" is short for "sh*t hits the fan" or periods of civil unrest and riots. You want a rifle that you can count on to go bang each and every time. I decided to get the XCR as it looks to have the best features of the AR and AK platforms. Am also looking into 308s but there are drawbacks on recoil, ammo weight and the market is still very early with the development of piston platforms (XCR-M?) vs the older direct impingement guns. I might get a Springfield M16 SOCOM or DPMS gun until the 308 gas piston market settles down in a year or two. Also really like the 6.8 round but the ammo is too expensive and hard to find for a SHTF gun.

Sorry if I took this off topic. I have looked at many 1-4x scopes, might go that direction with the addition of a red dot (Burris) added to the scope mount. Am also looking hard at the Aimpoint ML3 with a 3X magnifier (Larue short mounts for the XCR).

Am new to the XCR forum but have to say the information here has been outstanding and with far less BS you find on other forums.

BTW spent over 20 years in the military and am partial (in no particular order) to my Sigs, H&Ks, Glocks, Kahr and Wilson Combat

DSM

Quote Originally Posted by Martens View Post
    I run the trijicon TR24...

Ah, I wasn't even thinking of that. That would be a darn fine choice and an "all in" solution to take care of all the needs. What do you think of the possibility of getting caught at the "wrong" magnification for a given target or do you just put that problem into training to muscle through it?
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

Not really. If I am moving or dealing with an unknown situation it stays on 1X. If I have slowed down/stopped or providing overwatch, then I grab the cat tail and move it to 4X. I really don't use anything in between. I shot inside 25 yards with 4X and outside 50 on 1X and don't notice any problems either way. With it low mounted once I get a cheek weld and my nose touches the take down latch, I am pretty much on target.

FWIW I've tried the mini red dot(MRD) on a scope, both on top and offset to the side and it didn't work for me. On top was too tall and I was searching for the dot too often. On the side was better, but on a shot timer I was always faster indexing and firing based on my index points or using the top turret as a general aiming point.

For the money spent on a MRD and mounts, spend the same on ammo and practice nothing but 0-10 yard shooting with that ammo and I think you will be much better equipped than buying the setup with no money left for practice.

What about the Counter Sniper 1-4X24? I've seen it as low as $360.00 http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=606410 ?

Looks like a lot of scope for the money.

DSM

Never heard of one to know how they are. You can get a Burris for around the same price and they are a known quantity so that's something I'd recommend. My 1x4 was a few hundred bucks on sale at Midway a couple summers ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors