Front sight question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front sight question

Front sight question

I have a question for you guys, who are hopefully wiser than I in the way of sights. Little background before the question: I don't care for folding iron sights at all, I prefer to run fixed sights, even with optics. I'm a caveman, I know. So, putting AR fixed front and rear sights on my XCR was my plan from the get-go. Of course, as we know, there's that pesky sight-height-over-bore thing. I have been unable to zero my XCR even at 25 yards, on multiple trips, because I just cannot get the front sight post down low enough. Now, I know I could probably dremel a few threads off the bottom of my sight post to get it down lower, but there's barely any post showing now. So, with that in mind, the question(s):

1. Am I correct in my understanding that, for ARs, a front sight tower made to fit on a railed gas block is slightly lower than one made to fit on the front of a railed handguard?

2. If the answer to (1) is yes, would it make sense to put an FSA made for a railed gas block on the handguard of my XCR, thus giving me a shorter FSA that I could actually zero and use?

Please, someone, advise before I go wasting more money.

DSM

Re: Front sight question

A gas block sight is higher to match the height of the rear sight, so I don't think that'd work very well. You could file off some threads or even just file down the post to give you extra adjustment. The other option is to get a set of HK height sights but you'll pay a little bit there.

Or, get the Troy Micros and just don't fold them down! ;D
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

Using a gas block mounted front sight will amplify your problem,ask me how I know!!

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

OK. How do ya know?
    When Mad Max comes... I'll be waiting !!!

I am pretty sure I have seen some fixed same plain sights that should work for you. If I come across some links, I'll post them. That should fix your problem.

Here's one and the price doesn't seem too bad.

http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=s...product_id=156

When I first got my XCR I had bought a set of Promag sights to use.What I didn't know was that the front was for a gasblock on an AR.So the front sight was was too high which even after taking threads off the post was still about 20 inches too low at 25 yards.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

First off, any front sight that you buy NEW will be labeled for "same plane" or "gas block". Buy the "same plane" option.

2nd, Unless you are using the old Army/marine method of zeroing at 25 meters...which you turn the elevation knob(if available) for the rear sight up 1 click, your rifle should always shoot low at 25 meters. Unless, you want it zeroed at 25m, then it will be shooting high at 50-100m. Basically it should be below zero on the target about the same distance from the top of the front post to the axis of the bore, .

Unfortuneately not all front sights are so clearly labeled,which was what happened to me.At the time I didn't know any better.As far as shooting low that all depends on what final zero you are after.

Ok, clearly I'm an idiot, but once you guys explained how a gas block mount would be higher, that totally makes sense. I forget who makes the one I have now, but it's a typical AR front triangle with a bottomed-out sight post and not much post showing. I really like the look of that DD one, but I don't know if it would do anything for me that my current one doesn't. Thank you all for your input and help.

Oops, forgot to mention...I'm actually trying to zero the XCR to 50/200. I know that would be a little low at 25. I mentioned zeroing at 25 earlier to show that I can't even get on the paper at that short range, let alone at useful longer ranges.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors