How do you "train" yourself to use holo sights?
Like Tree2Likes
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you "train" yourself to use holo sights?

How do you "train" yourself to use holo sights?

I was hoping for something a little bit more than "practice," so please try to resist!

I just got my XCR yesterday. Haven't had a chance to make it go bang yet, but did go to a local gun store and the only optic they had that was mounted on anything was an EOTech. So I grab the rifle and the first thing I do is close my left eye like normal. He tells me to keep both eyes open which was a hard concept for me to grasp.

With a pistol I keep both eyes open and I focus on the front site no problem. With rifles I've mainly used regular scopes. An my only experience with .223's to date has been an M16 with iron sites. So I'm used to closing my good ole left eye and letting her rip like that.

I've got myself trained to do both eyes open on a pistol.... now how do I do that with a rifle? Anything you folks have that might help me out?

Re: How do you "train" yourself to use holo sights?

Eye pins, if its that hard to keep from closing it... ;D

There is no rule saying you have to keep both eyes open, it just increases your situational awareness by giving you a bigger Field of view, but because of this you wont e consitrating as hard on the target, its just an option, not a rule. Just to brag I can shoot both eyes open with iron sights on my rifle... :ninja:
    “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke

lol... well isn't it kind of the point of a holo site to be able to keep both eyes open?

I've yet to decide what i'm going to do with the XCR. May just be a plinker for me. Not a duty weapon or anything of the sort right now.

I've thought that the Millet-DMS1 is a fine looking scope and would probably be just fine for what I would use it for.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Use these:

Just don't get carried away like this guy:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan press on has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race. No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave." -- John Calvin Coolidge

Ya both eyes open is the point, so as pin your eyelids open, its the ONLY solution...
    “All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” - Edmund Burke

Ok maybe I'm explaning this wrong. I can use both eyes with my pistol no problem because i'm focusing on the front site. How do I teach myself to do the same with the rifle? I saw the dot in the eotech, but it was just odd, like i couldn't focus on it.

Just look past your dot to the target, your focus should'nt be on the dot, hmmm I guess I cant explain so well...

See its confoosing! I know what I'm supposed to be looking at, but something in my mind or my eye dominance isn't clicking right. I was just wondering if anyone has any super cool tricks from training or something they have picked up!

maybe you are can't do it because you are right handed but left eye dominant? for a pistol this will not be a problem as you just move the gun over your left eye, but for a rifle this is not possible as you need a cheek weld.

Interesting.. I never thought of that. This is rather odd since I'm a iron site / scope user and always close my left eye, but that doesn't have anything to do with eye dominance...

Damnit I should convert to being a lefty!

Also this is pretty darn weird... I've ALWAYS closed my left eye shooting rifles... never thought I might be left eye dominant because it didn't matter... now it makes sense why I had trouble with the holo site... I'm not sure if I can do anything about that other than closing an eye.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors