AK front sight question

Thread: AK front sight question

AK front sight question

So, I have been thinking about making a front iron sight for the XCR dovetail, and the issue of windage adjustment.
    I have a Chinese AK that I have never messed with the sights, but I started thinking that maybe using an AK front sight post as a starting point would be a good idea. I like making things, and am thinking about buying one, and seeing if I could weld/file/cut/grind etc to make it work.
    What I am wondering, from you guys with so much more firearms experience than me, is, am I missing something, or would it theoretically work? I don't think that it needs to be "tool-less".I should also say, that I am thinking about a low profile, non-folding sight, not your typical BUIS. I have seen HK diopter rear sights for cheap that I want to buy to customize for the rear.
    Thanks
    hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and make hay while the sun shines!

Re: AK front sight question

It might be simpler to make a short rail section to fit on that which would line up with the rest of the top rail that you could just put any rail mounted front sight on. Possibly modifying the top of the gas block to make it fit.

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

I am thinking about drifting for windage.. and I guess that a section of rail, if it fit would be hard to make work like that. I remember a thread a while back with some CAD style drawings of a front flip-up sight that was windage adjustable, but it looked complicated.
    My first thought was a AR sight bastardized with a dovetail, that could be loosened to adjust windage. Like this DD has for their rail attachment, except with the dovetail and bolts/grooves the other way
    Attached Images Attached Images    

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I'm certain it could be made to work and since it's windage and elevation adjustable.....would fit the bill. The only problem I foresee would be cutting it down small enough to fit on the gas block....that dove tail is small and it might look goofy considering how much larger the base of the AK front sight is by comparison. There's not going to be a lot of room between the upper receiver and the gas block.

JMO,
    Sean
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Thanks Sean,
    The reason I was asking was because I haven't ever messed with the front sight on my AK. It seemed like it "fit the bill" on paper, but I was curious about what other people thought about the AK sight in general.. I don't have an XCR gas block yet to compare with for size and width etc. but it might be something I play around with eventually. I have been looking around on the internet for the best deal I can find. Seems like about $35ish. I found a guy with HK rear sights for about $25ish....(NOT rail mounted, de-mil take offs, or something)
    Sometimes I wish I was better on the computer for doing things like photoshop..

I've been having thoughts in a similar vein lately, using a different sight. I just realized that on some Springfield Armory M1As (maybe all, i don't know), the front sight is mounted on a dovetail a lot like the one on the XCR. Windage is adjusted on the front sight by loosening the setscrew and drifting the sight assemble to one side or the other. I don't have an M1A, or know anyone who does, but do any of you guys know if the dovetail is the same? Also, I've done a token search for M1A sights with AR-type posts instead of the thick fixed slab that is standard, but haven't come up with any. Those of you who know anything about M14s-M1As, am I barking up the wrong tree?

I don't have one. But I think someone(DSM?) has stated that it is at least too short?

Sponsors