Homemade XCR front sight
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade XCR front sight

Homemade XCR front sight

So I got an AK old front sight, and ground and filed it to fit the dovetail. Its a little fugly, but it is just a beginning.
    The height is nothing in particular, because I hope to use an old HK rear sight that I bought to use for the rear, and plan on putting it at whatever height that I need to.
    It is just pressed on an old style gas block that I got from DTOM (thanks again Matt!).
    I am not sure it will work out, but it was something to do. I took a few pics and I thought at someone would appreciate the effort at least.... haha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade XCR front sight  -front-sight1.jpg   Homemade XCR front sight  -front-sight2.jpg   Homemade XCR front sight  -front-sight1.jpg   Homemade XCR front sight  -front-sight2.jpg  
    hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and make hay while the sun shines!

Re: AK front sight for XCR

One more picture for fun 8)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade XCR front sight  -front-sight3.jpg   Homemade XCR front sight  -front-sight3.jpg  

Re: Homemade AK front sight for XCR

Nice project, really changes the look of the rifle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Re: Homemade XCR front sight

I just posted a question about front sight height in the general discussion hoping to get more input that way. When I put a straight edge on top of the rail, I am about 1.25" to the top of the post, and I am curious how that compares to other front sights that you guys use?
    To me, I think it is too tall, and probably will shorten it. I would like to get the rear figured out, and then re-do the front to match.

You caught me at a great time. I was just finishing up cleaning mine when I saw your post.

The top of my front post sits exactly 1.5" from the flat of the rail. It's an MI buis.

Hope that helps!

Thank you rusirius.... I just don't have any buis to measure.
    Just curious, but if anyone has a "stubby" that they would throw a tape on, I am curious how much lower they are?
    The reason I am asking is that I thought that if I could standardize the height, all the better.
    Thanks again! I am kinda stoked, thinking that this could work as a (non-folding) windage adjustable solution to the caliber change/loss of zero issue.

Quote Originally Posted by celiajean View Post
    Thank you rusirius.... I just don't have any buis to measure.
    Just curious, but if anyone has a "stubby" that they would throw a tape on, I am curious how much lower they are?
    The reason I am asking is that I thought that if I could standardize the height, all the better.
    Thanks again! I am kinda stoked, thinking that this could work as a (non-folding) solution to the caliber change/loss of zero issue.
    No problem! Like I said, you had great timing!

I'm not sure about stubbies, but if they are designed to still co-witness I can't imagine them being too much lower. My MI's cowitness perfectly through my eotech, dead center. They could drop a little and still manage it, but not too much...

Nice work. I keep meaning to buy a section of 1913 rail and fit it to the gas block. Maybe RA will start making them with rails at some point.

I like the experimention of it.If it folded,I would buy one. 8) You're welcome by the way.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

Yeah, if I had more cash, I think I would buy a selection of buis and start tearing them up, and try to get something to work that folded.
    Its funny though, because folding sights don't appeal to me so much, front at least. Low maybe, but folding not so much. Of course I'm no bona fide, that's for sure!
    I don't get the whole co-witness thing? Is it just if you loose power, pop-pop, up you go, and your using irons THROUGH the dead optic?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors