Hopefully...
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Mechanic

Thread: Hopefully...

Hopefully...

One of our local LE friends picked up one of my used XCR-Ls the other day. He's pretty stoked but hasn't been to the range yet. Once he gets to showing it off a bit, I'm hoping it starts to spark some interest in the XCRs in my area.

I'm bringing our Cerekote process online over the next month or so and told him I would use him as demo for the work. His XCR is in FDE and shows some ware. I'm going to do a battle worn orange on the 300Blk AR I just built. I told him to think about what he wants to do and we'll try it out.
    Last edited by Mechanic; 11-29-2016 at 01:47 AM.
    Merlin, Sean K. and fmunk like this.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

Can tiger stripe camp be done in cerecoate?

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    .....My favorite camo ever. Vietnam will forever be the coolest of all the bullshit wars for the sole factor....and the aerial combat....but mainly because tiger stripe camo.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    Absolutely. I picked up an Iwata gun for laying down base/solid color coats. I'm getting a couple of Iwata airbrushes for doing patterns and stencil work. It's basically a multi-step process where the base, and each intermediate color, is partially baked/cured.

I'm going to have to try out some KG Industries GunKote as well. A couple of my more knowledgeable customers have been giving it great reviews. Of course, until I coat my rifles and punish it a bit myself, I won't truly know which is better.

A lot of manufacturers use Cerakote on their products out of the gate as well as a lot of aftermarket applicators. We shall see. I want to get some first hand experience with the products before I spend the time and money to go through a "certified applicator" program.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

The KG Gunkote is a good product, but it has limits.
    For instance, my 18" shotgun was done in an almost olive green color of Gunkote back when it was built. Over the years it's turned almost a gray-black.That MAY be because of the chemicals I use on it though.
    The other thing is that it will show wear, I've worn through it in lots of places over the years. It doesn't look "bad", but it certainly shows wear. Abrasion is the biggie, like where the pump cycles on the magazine tube.
    That having been said, even though it's worn through, the protective properies are still in tact. At one shotgun class, we got 8 inches of rain. I figure I was outside and shooting for at least 6 inches of that. Every evening I'd strip the shotgun and clean it - absolutely NO rust anywhere for the whole week.
    As a comparison, another student brought a new Remington 870 model with the funky tactical muzzle stand-off. Every evening that thing showed orange somewhere.
    I'm not so much about looks as I am how things function, so the SBS also got a Gunkote treatment - in flat dark earth. I'm sure I'll wear it off in areas too.
    I'll likely go with cerakote on the next build, just to try it. It's impressive. The problems with it are that you can't mix your own colors and conditions need to be just right to have it adhere properly - more finicky than gunkote.
    But if I can have functionality AND pretty for about the same price, why not go that direction?
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

B, I have used CERAKOTE myself before (On the SAIGA and PS90) and didn't have any issues with there being any conditions needed to have it 'stick'. Just the normal stuff like blasting with aluminum oxide and cleaning properly before painting. I sprayed in my backyard here in FL. Cured it in the oven and an electric BBQ.
    Never tried Gunkote but but from reading before I decided on CERAKOTE, it didn't seem as robust as CERAKOTE.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

I'm not talking first-hand on the difficulty getting cerakote to stick, that's what I got from the local shop though.
    They decided to get into it, and bought everything that was needed. The first three times they sprayed a gun it didn't come out and needed reworking.
    ETA: it would wear through pretty quick - the adhesion wasn't what it should have been.
    Dunno what they did wrong, but they claim to have the process down now. All I'm saying is that it SOUNDED like it was more difficult than 'blast, degrease, spray, bake'.
    Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though! HA!
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Sponsors