Type 1, Type 2 and Type 3 on a 10" mini 5.45
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By navalbeaver
  • 2 Post By navalbeaver

Thread: Type 1, Type 2 and Type 3 on a 10" mini 5.45

Type 1, Type 2 and Type 3 on a 10" mini 5.45

So I had a thorough, in-depth, well organized and illustrated post ready to go for this... BUT it was typed in the web page after my computer hibernated so I lost all the info when I went to post it.

Short version:

RA came through with all the parts I needed to take my 10" mini 5.45 from Type 1 to a Type 3 to a Type 2 operating system. I shot 40-60 rds in each setup just to see if there was any huge difference between them. It was by no means scientific and I was really only looking for function, gas face and ejection pattern distance with and without a can. They all worked fine. I preferred the type 3.

Slightly more info:

Host was a 10" Mini gas 5.45 with a saker brake and saker 5.56 suppressor when I shot it suppressed. I started with the type 2 because it was already setup that way. Pulled the brake, gas block and tube then replaced the block and tube with the type 3, put the brake back on. The op rod for the type 1 and 3 are the same. Shot it. Did the same swap to the type 2 but had to swap out the op rod as well.

Type 1 functioned fine. It was generally over gassed. Ejection with the saker on was 30-40' with significant gas face, bad enough that after 3-4 rds it was difficult to keep my eyes open.
    Type 3 gave more functionality and I was able to get the ejection much more under control with the saker on. Got a little bit of gas face but was able to do several strings of quick fire without issue.
    Type 2 was surprisingly undergassed. It would only function on full open without the saker on. Worked better than the type 1 with the saker installed but I'd give the edge to the type 3 when running the can.

Ejection was consistent to the 2-2:30 across all settings/gas systems, it just varied in the distance based on gas settings.
    Recoil was about the same across the 3. The brake and the low recoiling round made for a soft shooting gun.
    This isn't by any means conclusive on the performance or lack thereof between the 3 systems.
    The biggest surprise for me was the undergassed Type 2. I'm so used to the XCR flinging brass into the next range that I was shocked that I had to run the highest setting with the can off.

Let me know if you've got questions.
    Merlin, Sean K. and Bravo like this.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for posting.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Oops, reading this after my questions in your other post. Anyway have one question about getting to the Type 3 dial to adjust it with my old school Standard length upper.
    Old Pic..........
    Type 1, Type 2 and Type 3 on a 10" mini 5.45-img_0032-copy.jpg

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Oops, reading this after my questions in your other post. Anyway have one question about getting to the Type 3 dial to adjust it with my old school Standard length upper.
    Old Pic..........
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0032 copy.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	12610
    With a standard length upper and a standard length gas system, the type 3 block is still in front of the upper.

I've got an older thread that talks about compatibility with upper and gas system length and being able to reach the dial.

Thanks for all the good info you add to the forum.

Is the type three gas block short stroke with a tappet? The type one was long stroke, the type two short stroke, right?

Does the -M also have a tuckable gas block? Is it the same as the -L?

What gas block are standard XCR's (16"-18" barrel, non competition handguard) shipping with now?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WatchoutforStobor View Post
    Thanks for all the good info you add to the forum.

Is the type three gas block short stroke with a tappet? The type one was long stroke, the type two short stroke, right?

Does the -M also have a tuckable gas block? Is it the same as the -L?

What gas block are standard XCR's (16"-18" barrel, non competition handguard) shipping with now?

Thanks
    Type 1 and 3 are both long stroke. Difference being more adjustability and smaller profile on the three.

Type 2 is the short stroke tappet, like the M.

I've not seen the type 3 on an M yet. They announced it at SHOT but Holly said they're still working on getting them into production. I'm assuming it'll be a long stroke setup but that's just a guess.

I've been told you can request whatever style operating system you want when you put in your order. I've asked for type 3 since they've been available but I'm not sure what they would give you if you didn't specify.

I'll double check with Holly tomorrow and get some clarification on availability.

That is really interesting that RA started out with the long stroke, tried short stroke, and now are back to long. Wonder what happened there.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchoutforStobor View Post
    That is really interesting that RA started out with the long stroke, tried short stroke, and now are back to long. Wonder what happened there.
    I have a feeling that Nate may have found out why with his own testing, where the Type 2 was not so happy running suppressed reliably.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

I don't think RA offered the different options with the idea that one would replace the other. I'm not real clear on the development time line for each but the long stroke was definitely first. The short stroke may have been more of a push for parts commonality between the L and M(can be said for the type 3 on the M as well) or just as an option. The type 3 was necessitated more by getting the 300 to work AND the trend for longer hand guards.

I don't see any of these going away in the near term. They're all just options depending on the customers' needs and wants.

The beauty of the system is, for the most part, they're all bolt on upgrades/swaps. Most of the old and new parts play well together. An early gen XCR is easily upgradeable to current configurations. Whether or not it's necessary is up to the user. Lots of gun guys want the newest (best?) parts. So far, the XCR allows you to do that without buying a whole new rifle/barrel etc.

*I say the above being aware of the mod required to use the latest bcg on older lowers. Not the easiest change, but it can be done.
    Merlin and Bravo like this.

Sponsors