Type 3 gas block observations. 0 isn't always "off" - Page 4
Like Tree7Likes
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Type 3 gas block observations. 0 isn't always "off"

They don't need the certification... they just need to do shit right. Yah, for a $1800 rifle, don't think it's too much to ask. At least have a check list of inspections before each rifle ships.
    Sean K. likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but want to echo Nate's experiences. I recently had a type 3 gas system installed on my Micro at RobArms. First off, it functions flawlessly now and couldn't be happier with the reliability.

With the gas setting on zero, it does not cycle the action, unsuppressed. However, with a Saker 556K attached, it cycles the action everytime, even on the zero setting. Disappointing, because if you want to run it like a bolt action, it makes since to do so even more so when the can is attached.

I tore down the gas system after seeing this thread and my gas regulator holes are not aligned, just like Nate's.

IMG_9167.JPG

It bugs me that RobArms has told several people now, including myself, that it's "normal" for the action to cycle on zero, when their own manual pretty clearly states otherwise. Have tried contacting them for a replacement that has properly aligned gas ports but have yet to receive a response. In the mean time, at least I have a functioning firearm.
    Merlin and Sean K. like this.

So what is the set screw for? Can the knob/handle be adjusted by the set screw? Or is there a flat spot on the shaft of the gas regulator?

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

If RA plays like a dead horse... Is it possible to weld to fill the port, then re-drill one that is aligned?
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Type 3 gas block observations. 0 isn't always "off"

Quote Originally Posted by jbsmwd View Post
    So what is the set screw for? Can the knob/handle be adjusted by the set screw? Or is there a flat spot on the shaft of the gas regulator?
    The set screw holds the adjustment dial to the gas plug/regulator as well as keeping the gas plug locked in the block.

Essentially the plug fits inside the block, has a nipple that extends out the front of the block, then the dial locks onto the nipple keeping it inside the block as well as holding a detent in to give the dial positive engagement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Light is fast ... fast is good

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    If RA plays like a dead horse... Is it possible to weld to fill the port, then re-drill one that is aligned?
    Tig welding and redrilling *could* be a PITA....depends on the channel arrangement and if you have to drill very close or into the actual weld.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Nate,
    Did you ever get the issue resolved with the ports being drilled off center?
    My 300Blk functions as it is supposed to. 0 setting the action does Not cycle. It seems to run real well with my gas set to 3 with a can on.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    Nate,
    Did you ever get the issue resolved with the ports being drilled off center?
    My 300Blk functions as it is supposed to. 0 setting the action does Not cycle. It seems to run real well with my gas set to 3 with a can on.
    Not from RA. After my initial email to Alex and the reply that it was "normal", I didn't press the issue with them. Doubly so after Kiowa Driver getting the same response from them.

I've got a few different type 3 blocks that I've been passing around. So far it's not been a functional/reliability issue so I didn't think it was a battle worth fighting. I've been able to match up the blocks/barrels when I want them to be in the "off" position.

With RA taking the stance that "0" is just the lowest setting, not "off", I don't think there's much room to argue with them about it.

With the previous types of gas dials there was always an off setting. You could hand eject and work on accuracy without the action cycling. I'm putting a list together to talk to Alex about at SHOT. It probably will not do any good.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsors