Type 3 gas block observations. 0 isn't always "off"
Like Tree7Likes
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Type 3 gas block observations. 0 isn't always "off"

Type 3 gas block observations. 0 isn't always "off"

Since RA released the Type 3 gas blocks, I've been a big fan. More adjustability, tuckable and works much better with suppressors. Early on, I found that I was able to run on setting 0 and turn my XCR into a bolt gun. It was great with the suppressors because it really cut down on the gas face.

I got my 18.6 Grendel barrel a few weeks back. Type 3 block. That barrel gave me significant gas face and would cycle enough to chamber a new round most of the time, on setting 0. A short email exchange with RA basically said that 0 is the lowest setting and won't turn it off. OK.

I swapped out an early Type 3 block from a barrel that I knew I could "turn off". I put the older block on my Grendel barrel and with that older block, I can "turn off" the gas on the Grendel.

SO...

I'm guessing they either changed the spec or they aren't paying close attention to the spec from their suppliers. Some of this may be the difference between a "762" dial and a "556" dial but I would think that regardless of the dials, they're both completely occluded on setting 0. Just eyeballing the hole in the block that covers the barrel gas port, it looks like there's a difference in the size of those holes. Looking down into the block, where the piston enters the block, I "think" there's a difference in the dimensions. That's just based on eyeballing it. I haven't had time to tear them both down side by side but there's clearly an operation difference between the 2 blocks I swapped.

I'll update as I find out more.
    Sean K. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Since RA released the Type 3 gas blocks, I've been a big fan. More adjustability, tuckable and works much better with suppressors. Early on, I found that I was able to run on setting 0 and turn my XCR into a bolt gun. It was great with the suppressors because it really cut down on the gas face.

I got my 18.6 Grendel barrel a few weeks back. Type 3 block. That barrel gave me significant gas face and would cycle enough to chamber a new round most of the time, on setting 0. A short email exchange with RA basically said that 0 is the lowest setting and won't turn it off. OK.

I swapped out an early Type 3 block from a barrel that I knew I could "turn off". I put the older block on my Grendel barrel and with that older block, I can "turn off" the gas on the Grendel.

SO...

I'm guessing they either changed the spec or they aren't paying close attention to the spec from their suppliers. Some of this may be the difference between a "762" dial and a "556" dial but I would think that regardless of the dials, they're both completely occluded on setting 0. Just eyeballing the hole in the block that covers the barrel gas port, it looks like there's a difference in the size of those holes. Looking down into the block, where the piston enters the block, I "think" there's a difference in the dimensions. That's just based on eyeballing it. I haven't had time to tear them both down side by side but there's clearly an operation difference between the 2 blocks I swapped.

I'll update as I find out more.
    Out of spec parts at RA? Say it isn't so! LOL.....
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

I'd have said "out of spec" but RA didn't seem to think it was an issue.... fun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

So with the new Type 3 gas block, is one able to cut down on the yards the XCR throws brass and help not beat it self up? ie slow down the the carrier speed and NOT cause malfunctions. On the old gas block I am at setting 2 and its flinging the brass into the next county but one setting 1 the brass only goes 3-6 with hickups. Would the new gas block help this? I think it should.

Quote Originally Posted by jbsmwd View Post
    So with the new Type 3 gas block, is one able to cut down on the yards the XCR throws brass and help not beat it self up? ie slow down the the carrier speed and NOT cause malfunctions. On the old gas block I am at setting 2 and its flinging the brass into the next county but one setting 1 the brass only goes 3-6 with hickups. Would the new gas block help this? I think it should.
    I'd say yes. Old block on "S" with a can would launch my brass 60' or more. The new blocks (at least the early ones) gave me a "off" and setting 1 and 2 were usable with the decent ejection. Ejection was still 15-20' but the gun shot a lot softer.

So how much is the new gas block and tube going for ? I have no idea nor do i know the way things are done here. PM me the price please if that is aloud.

I don't have a precision drill bit set but it I've got my "good" block with the port size of 1/8". It's a tight fit with my cheapie 1/8 drill bit. The block with the "larger" port definitely has some play with the same bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Out of spec parts at RA? Say it isn't so! LOL.....
    Sean K. likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Is the type 3 the buried gas block?

If not I apologize for being off topic, but I've found on my 300blk gas block that there is no need for 8 settings. Personally I think RA should add smaller settings as well. I've found that on 2 with a can, I can cycle supers and subs, as long as the rifle is clean, and still throw brass 30-40'. Id like to see 1 or 2 smaller settings than the current #1 setting and probably a deletion of the 3 largest settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Light is fast ... fast is good

Quote Originally Posted by TTEngineer View Post
    Is the type 3 the buried gas block?

If not I apologize for being off topic, but I've found on my 300blk gas block that there is no need for 8 settings. Personally I think RA should add smaller settings as well. I've found that on 2 with a can, I can cycle supers and subs, as long as the rifle is clean, and still throw brass 30-40'. Id like to see 1 or 2 smaller settings than the current #1 setting and probably a deletion of the 3 largest settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes on the buried.

I agree on the range of options. I rarely used 3 or 4 on the old blocks. I'm not going over 4 on the new ones. I'd happily trade a couple of the higher end options for some smaller ports. At one point I asked Alex about getting some undrilled valves for the old type 1. That didn't happen.

I think some of the issue is blow by. Not sure how much tighter you could make the block/valve fit and not have it be a problem for maintenance/adjustability.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors