Extractor failure in XCR-L pistol - Page 4
Like Tree20Likes
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Extractor failure in XCR-L pistol

This is the best thread in a long time!! Thanks!!!
    TexasChris and G2 like this.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Are you running suppressed? If not, RA needs to redo their gas port/dial sizes. It's not really adjustable if all you have is various states of over gassed.
    Where I live, when shooting, outdoor temp is typically in the 70-90 degree range most of the year. Today I fired my XCR-L pistol for the first time in 40 degree weather. Set on "1" or "2", I had repeated failures to lock back the bolt on the last round fired (24.5gr WC844, 55gr fmj). Maybe it's cleaning time. Thoroughly cleaned and lubed the pistol including taking the gas system apart; pistol didn't seem very dirty; nothing seemed clogged or heavily coated with carbon/firing residue. Ran a safety pin through the smallest gas opening...not clogged. Gas block snug in place; no bolt loose. It's now 56 degrees. 55gr bullets. Using 26.5gr W748, it functioned perfectly on gas 1. Using 24.5gr WC844 (a normal plinking load for me used in a variety of AR's of various bbl lengths and what the pistol is sighted in with), it had to be set on gas 3, whereas it'd always been set on 1 to function properly before.

Grabbed four of my light frangible loads (23.5gr IMR4895, 50gr surplus frangible bullets) (should have grabbed more rounds). Before, they needed gas 3. Tried gas 3, 4, 5, 6...all failed to lock back the bolt.

Later this week it'll get into the 70's. Will need to shoot again and see if increase in outdoor temp (will get ammo up to the ambient temp too) makes a difference. Will try gas 7 with the frangibles. Oh, every mag tried properly lifted the bolt hold open when empty and the BCG was manually pulled fully to the rear, so it wasn't a mag problem. All rounds fired were stored in my reloading shed and it got in the freezing temp range last night. Glad the XCR has an adjustable gas system, and maybe it's working "as it should be" now.
    Last edited by Whole Bunches; 11-28-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    Sean K. and Merlin like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Whole Bunches View Post
    Where I live, when shooting, outdoor temp is typically in the 70-90 degree range most of the year. Today I fired my XCR-L pistol for the first time in 40 degree weather. Set on "1" or "2", I had repeated failures to lock back the bolt on the last round fired (24.5gr WC844, 55gr fmj). Maybe it's cleaning time. Thoroughly cleaned and lubed the pistol including taking the gas system apart; pistol didn't seem very dirty; nothing seemed clogged or heavily coated with carbon/firing residue. Ran a safety pin through the smallest gas opening...not clogged. Gas block snug in place; no bolt loose. It's now 56 degrees. 55gr bullets. Using 26.5gr W748, it functioned perfectly on gas 1. Using 24.5gr WC844 (a normal plinking load for me used in a variety of AR's of various bbl lengths and what the pistol is sighted in with), it had to be set on gas 3, whereas it'd always been set on 1 to function properly before.

Grabbed four of my light frangible loads (23.5gr IMR4895, 50gr surplus frangible bullets) (should have grabbed more rounds). Before, they needed gas 3. Tried gas 3, 4, 5, 6...all failed to lock back the bolt.

Later this week it'll get into the 70's. Will need to shoot again and see if increase in outdoor temp (will get ammo up to the ambient temp too) makes a difference. Will try gas 7 with the frangibles. Oh, every mag tried properly lifted the bolt hold open when empty and the BCG was manually pulled fully to the rear, so it wasn't a mag problem. All rounds fired were stored in my reloading shed and it got in the freezing temp range last night. Glad the XCR has an adjustable gas system, and maybe it's working "as it should be" now.

Interesting info....
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Are you using frog lube?

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

I use Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil. It's a thicker gun oil that sticks well and doesn't "run" as much as regular run oils. Do not need to use much. For years I used LSA, but tried Lucas and never went back. Keeps my semi and full auto firearms a bit cleaner and easier to wipe off firing residue.
    G2 likes this.

Ah, I asked because I am finding the same thing as Bravo did, that it can cause issues. I used it on the wife's K6 revolver and it is starting to feel "gummy" in double action. On a couple 1911's it was causing feed issues until I stripped it off and went back to Rem Oil, Mobil 1 or TW25.
    I am going to have to strip it off the K6 as well I think.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

G2
    I use Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil. It's a thicker gun oil that sticks well and doesn't "run" as much as regular run oils. Do not need to use much. For years I used LSA, but tried Lucas and never went back. Keeps my semi and full auto firearms a bit cleaner and easier to wipe off firing residue.
    I use LSA Exclusively.....

To recap: The other day it was in the 40 degree range. Normally I shoot my 55gr loads (24.5gr W844) on gas setting 1 in the warm/hot Florida temps, but that day I had many failures to lock back the BCG on the empty mag. Had to set the gas on 3 to get it to lock back. Cleaned my XCR 5.56 pistol and still the the problem of not locking back on 1.

Today the temp was in the 70's. Same pistol, same ammo would now lock back on 1. OK...in colder weather give my XCR-L 7.5" pistol in 5.56 more gas with W844, W846, and IMR4895. I've never experienced such a drastic change. Never had that problem with my 16" XCR in 5.56, 300 Blackout or 7.62x39. Admittedly I've always set the gas to what was needed to "just" function 100% and not one gas setting more.

PS. My light frangible loads could now be set back to 3 in today's warmer weather.

To recap: The other day it was in the 40 degree range. Normally I shoot my 55gr loads (24.5gr W844) on gas setting 1 in the warm/hot Florida temps, but that day I had many failures to lock back the BCG on the empty mag. Had to set the gas on 3 to get it to lock back. Cleaned my XCR 5.56 pistol and still the the problem of not locking back on 1.

Today the temp was in the 70's. Same pistol, same ammo would now lock back on 1. OK...in colder weather give my XCR-L 7.5" pistol in 5.56 more gas with W844, W846, and IMR4895. I've never experienced such a drastic change. Never had that problem with my 16" XCR in 5.56, 300 Blackout or 7.62x39. Admittedly I've always set the gas to what was needed to "just" function 100% and not one gas setting more.

PS. My light frangible loads could now be set back to 3 in today's warmer weather.
    Hmmm...odd. Good info, but weird.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsors