Extractor failure in XCR-L pistol
Like Tree20Likes
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extractor failure in XCR-L pistol

Extractor failure in XCR-L pistol

Last Thanksgiving I ordered an XCR-L pistol in 300 Blackout with a 7.5" bbl. Micro upper. After break-in and accuracy testing, I determined gas setting "4" gave perfect functioning. If set on "3", I have occasional failure to lock the bolt back on an empty mag. Normal cleaning every couple of hundred rounds. At about round #540 I began to have failures to extract the fired case (remained in the chamber) starting about 20% of the time, getting worse the more I fired it. Examine cases...evidence of the extractor slipping off and leaving some burrs in the case rim.

Manual says chamber dirty, extractor problem or extractor spring problem. Thoroughly scrubbed chamber with brass chamber brush, took pistol apart including gas system and cleaned everything (after 550+ rounds the gas system had very little gunk in it BTW). Tried 7 shots with 2 failures to extract empties.

OK, remove extractor (what a pain that was!). It has the latest extractor springs (one inside the other) as shown in a RA YouTube video on replacing the extractor. Springs look fine. Extractor looks like it as a burr in the middle of the extractor curve (may have come from me trying to remove the extractor) (or may have simply appeared from firing). I had a new extra .223 size extractor bought years ago. Installed it (what a pain that was). Hint: Do it in a small bathroom with door closed and all drains closed...3 times the extractor dent got loose on me. Hint: You have to push down really hard on the detent to remove and replace the extractor.

It's getting dark...tell wife I'm gonna test fire in the yard (live on a small hobby farm in the country). Fired 11 shots with perfect functioning. Normal would have been at least 3 failures to extract. Will need to do more test firing this week to make sure it's fixed.

So here's what I'm wondering. I have 2 other XCR-L rifles (16" bbls), firing them in .223, 300 Blackout, and 7.62x39. Having fired a total of 6,716 rounds through them, I've never had failures to extract once the gas was set correctly after break-in. Could it be that the pistol, having a much shorter gas system therefore the action starts moving sooner when the chamber pressure has not had as long of time to go down, is rougher on the extractor? Or maybe just a bad extractor?

I'll tell RA and order another extractor, springs, and detent to have on hand.

Oh, I keep firing records and throat wear measurements. On my 300 Blackout XCR-L pistol bbl, in 575 rounds fired, the throat has measured zero wear.

There is ar upgraded metal extractor spring. Call holly and they will get you taken care of.

Upgraded from the upgrade?

He's got the spring in spring setup already. Have they changed it since they ditched the old poly/rubber/elastomer?

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I assumed my delivered this year XCR-L pistol had the latest extractor spring set up because it was identical to that shown in the Sept 2017 RA video in which Alex says it's the "new type of extractor spring"...a spring inside a spring set up with a short detent pin.

Hmm....doesn't sound like the spring in spring is as good as the old poly. Never had that problem before....but the shorter the bbl, the more finicky the gun too. Please keep us in the loop.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Tested my pistol more today. 50rounds fired with zero malfunctions, so the extractor had went bad on me. Will keep count (as I always do) and report back if any further problems extracting the fired cases.
    Sean K. and Merlin like this.

RA is sending another extractor, extractor spring set and extractor detent. My question of is the 7.5" bbl harder on extraction has been forwarded to Alex.

I'm guessing you had a bad extractor from the get go. It probably just got worse with use.
    Sean K., The Newbie and TexasChris like this.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    I'm guessing you had a bad extractor from the get go. It probably just got worse with use.
    Any update?
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Have fired 1167 rounds (759 300 Blackout and 408 5.56) since replacing the extractor (original extractor was replaced at round #564). No extraction problems. No burrs or cracks or jagged edges or bends in the new extractor. Can see wear in the parkerizing (in other words, the finish of the extractor claw is being polished from where it makes contact with the cartridge case, but the metal itself looks fine).

As far as bbl (throat) wear, after 1323 rounds of 300 Blackout, my notes say I can only detect with my TE gage a "hair" of wear, not even enough to make a good guess in-between the gage marks what the reading is (each gage mark indicates .1" of wear, so a "hair" might be .01" of throat wear). After 408 rounds of .223/5.56, I can detect no throat wear (of course, only 408 rounds is early in the scheme of things). Alex emailed me that his bbls are made of 4140 and are chrome lined and that chrome lining made a bigger difference in bbl life than nitriding. RA testing was full auto (they need results NOW, not years later like I'm doing); mine is slow fire (5 shots, may be quick, and then cool to ambient temp).

I have found my XCR-L pistol in 5.56 (when RA had a veterans sale I got a 7.5" 5.56 lightweight 1 in 7 twist bbl) shot most everything with nearly the same accuracy and within 1/4" of POI at 34yd (my plinking range length at the club) except for one 55gr load that shoots 1" higher. It even likes the 50gr MK311 MOD 0 frangible bullets. It needs 1 more click of gas to function with factory steel case ammo and 2 clicks more to function with the frangible load. For everything else, the gas is set on "1".
    Merlin likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsors