Good deal XCR-L with some rust issues....
Like Tree3Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good deal XCR-L with some rust issues....

Good deal XCR-L with some rust issues....

I came across this XCR on GB. Just about the latest specs with the Type 2 gas setup. It came in on friday and after a barrel pull I found a significant amount of rust on the barrel under the gas block and on aft end of the gas tube. After cleaning them up, there's pitting in the barrel and the tube and I've been unable to remove the tube from the gas block. There was a lot of residue in the upper but it cleaned up pretty easy. I'm a little confused because the rest of the gun (operating group, lower etc) look pretty clean. I'm talking with the seller now. He know's the original owner. Unfortunately it sounds like the original owner doesn't know much about the platform so he may not be able to answer any questions. I've got an email in to RA as well. I've had surface rust on gas tubes, blocks and barrels before but nothing like this. I've only ever fired one other Type 2 block and it wasn't a ton so not sure how many rounds it'd take to get that much build up on the barrel. Rifle came from AZ.

Any thoughts?
    Good deal XCR-L with some rust issues....-img_20181102_163118481.jpg
    Good deal XCR-L with some rust issues....-img_20181102_163127891-1-.jpg
    Attachment 14530
    TexasChris likes this.

Not following...thoughts on what? How to get the two separated or what caused the rust or something else?

I'd be cautious of side loading the gas tube to try and walk it off the gas block nipple....seems like the Type 2s need a tight fit for accuracy....at least on the Ms. Penetrating oil and trying to get it to turn even a bit might break it loose....you could try something soft like a wood dowel in one of the vent holes, though you'll have to pull the gas block off the bbl to get to those holes.
    I don't think I've ever taken my Type 2 apart....can the end come out so you could knock the tube out from the inside?

I dunno...just brainstorming.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Not following...thoughts on what? How to get the two separated or what caused the rust or something else?

I'd be cautious of side loading the gas tube to try and walk it off the gas block nipple....seems like the Type 2s need a tight fit for accuracy....at least on the Ms. Penetrating oil and trying to get it to turn even a bit might break it loose....you could try something soft like a wood dowel in one of the vent holes, though you'll have to pull the gas block off the bbl to get to those holes.
    I don't think I've ever taken my Type 2 apart....can the end come out so you could knock the tube out from the inside?

I dunno...just brainstorming.
    Thoughts on the whole thing in general. I'm kind of baffled by the whole thing. I've not put much side load on the tube and I've had some tight type 2 on the Ms but nothing like this. The shop I got it from contacted the original owner and according to them, he only put 300rds through it. That seems like an awfully low round count for that much build up. I've used some leather gloves and tried to grip the gas tube with vise grips but I'm worried going much tighter will bend the tube. I've got the block off the barrel. There are no vent holes in this tube so there's nothing else to grab onto. I'm contemplating cutting the tube length with must to see what the hell the issue is. Nothing back from RA yet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Thoughts on the whole thing in general. I'm kind of baffled by the whole thing. I've not put much side load on the tube and I've had some tight type 2 on the Ms but nothing like this. The shop I got it from contacted the original owner and according to them, he only put 300rds through it. That seems like an awfully low round count for that much build up. I've used some leather gloves and tried to grip the gas tube with vise grips but I'm worried going much tighter will bend the tube. I've got the block off the barrel. There are no vent holes in this tube so there's nothing else to grab onto. I'm contemplating cutting the tube length with must to see what the hell the issue is. Nothing back from RA yet.
    No way to pry between the block and tube with small screwdriver?? I'm grasping at straws. Have you soaked it in PB Blaster or similar? What about a gun solvent or cleaning solution? Soaking might break up whatever's holding it on....24 hours should tell the tale.

I could possibly believe the 300 rounds....IF it was corrosive or even dirty Wolf, Tula, etc. I've had a good amount of blueish-green "copper" and powder residue on several of my guns running that crap ammo. A solvent (like maybe Hoppe's No. 9) might loosen up the copper deposits that could be holding the tube on.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

No way to pry between the block and tube with small screwdriver?? I'm grasping at straws. Have you soaked it in PB Blaster or similar? What about a gun solvent or cleaning solution? Soaking might break up whatever's holding it on....24 hours should tell the tale.

I could possibly believe the 300 rounds....IF it was corrosive or even dirty Wolf, Tula, etc. I've had a good amount of blueish-green "copper" and powder residue on several of my guns running that crap ammo. A solvent (like maybe Hoppe's No. 9) might loosen up the copper deposits that could be holding the tube on.
    I think I've got some PD laying around. I'll try that. Looking down the tube, it looks good. There's no visual evidence of rust/build up on the back end of the gas block. As you mentioned there were some tight fitting type 2s. I was hoping for a reply from RA that they had a bad batch of tubes and/or some VERY tight fitting blocks/tubes.
    Sean K. likes this.

G2
    Heat is critical to getting the penetrating oil in between the stuck parts. Heat the stuck section with a propane torch, dosnt have to be super hot, but to hot to touch. You want to focus the heat on the outside of the tube and not on the gas block. Then apply the oil. Let it soak and do it again. The heat will cause the tube to expand and the oil will break the seal. This may take a couple times.
    The few times I had to deal with sever corrosion were related to corrosive ammo.

Or......sell to me at a super discounted price and I will have another shooter...
    Last edited by G2; 11-08-2018 at 08:20 AM.
    Sean K. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Heat is critical to getting the penetrating oil in between the stuck parts. Heat the stuck section with a propane torch, dosnt have to be super hot, but to hot to touch. You want to focus the heat on the outside of the tube and not on the gas block. Then apply the oil. Let it soak and do it again. The heat will cause the tube to expand and the oil will break the seal. This may take a couple times.
    The few times I had to deal with sever corrosion were related to corrosive ammo.

Or......sell to me at a super discounted price and I will have another shooter...
    Good point...though I'd probably recommend a heat gun over the propane torch.

G2
    Good point...though I'd probably recommend a heat gun over the propane torch.
    Heat gun is not focused enough. A propane torch is no issue as for as the metals are concerned as long as you keep it moving and don’t let the metal start to glow.

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Heat gun is not focused enough. A propane torch is no issue as for as the metals are concerned as long as you keep it moving and don’t let the metal start to glow.
    Yes it is...it just takes longer. Hi setting for 3-4 minutes will do the job without discoloring anything.

G2
    Yes it is...it just takes longer. Hi setting for 3-4 minutes will do the job without discoloring anything.
    Good point....not everyone is good with a torch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors