"custom" recoil spring
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By navalbeaver
  • 1 Post By Sean K.
  • 1 Post By Whole Bunches
  • 1 Post By navalbeaver

Thread: "custom" recoil spring

"custom" recoil spring

When trying to tune a suppressed xcr the only easy option available is to dial the gas down. I've found most of them to be, what I would call, over gassed. I've got a couple of type 3 blocks that work well but there seems to be some inconsistencies in the dials/blocks. I've got a new type 2 itch but even on the lowest setting in 5.56, it still launches brass 20'+ and there's still a good amount of gas coming out of the ejection port......so.......

Anybody tried AK springs in an XCR? I got an extra power AK spring for a project and since I was bored, I installed it in one of my XCRs. The spring is shorter and has less coils but looks like it's slightly larger diameter and heavier gauge wire. It fits and hand cycles. I can't tell a significant difference when I pull the charging handle.

I'm going to try a few rounds and see if there's any difference in ejection/gas.

I thought about ordering some custom springs but not sure the cost would be worth it, especially not knowing how much heavier I need to go.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by navalbeaver; 12-11-2018 at 06:59 PM.
    Merlin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    When trying to tune a suppressed xcr the only easy option available is to dial the gas down. I've found most of them to be, what I would call, over gassed. I've got a couple of type 3 blocks that work well but there seems to be some inconsistencies in the dials/blocks. I've got a new type 2 itch but even on the lowest setting in 5.56, it still launches brass 20'+ and there's still a good amount of gas coming out of the ejection port......so.......

Anybody tried AK springs in an XCR? I got an extra power AK spring for a project and since I was bored, I installed it in one of my XCRs. The spring is shorter and has less coils but looks like it's slightly larger diameter and heavier gauge wire. It fits and hand cycles. I can't tell a significant difference when I pull the charging handle.

I'm going to try a few rounds and see if there's any difference in ejection/gas.

I thought about ordering some custom springs but not sure the cost would be worth it, especially not knowing how much heavier I need to go.

Thoughts?
    You can Google how to determine spring rates and you should be able to come up with a formula. https://www.thespringstore.com/coil-...tructions.html Then....you just start looking for springs (Wolff is probably a good starting point) that may work the way you want.
    Merlin likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Just a thought: Set XCR butt down on a bathroom scale with its hammer cocked. Press on charging handle and see how much pressure registers on scale with regular XCR spring and with your AK spring until the mag catch engages. See if any difference registers on the scale. Do several tries.
    RobertSlaughter likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Put 30rds through a 10" mini 5.45 with a type 2 gas block. No appreciable difference between the stock spring or the Wolff spring. I've got a 5.56 I want to try too but didn't have the time today.

ETA: fwiw the Wolff spring cycled fine
    Last edited by navalbeaver; 12-22-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    Merlin likes this.

Sponsors