New to XCR need info
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to XCR need info

New to XCR need info

Ok guys I've been thinking of getting a XCR. I already own a AK and really do enjoy the AK platform. So here are my questions.
    How does the XCR compare to the AK?
    Is it as rugged and reliable as the AK?
    Can it be maintained as easy as a AK? especially in a SHTF scenario and your resources are limited.
    How well does the XCR shoot the 7.62x39?
    Has there been any kind of torture test done with the XCR? Cause I would like to know if it is still capable of functioning after being submerged in mud, sand, water, etc.

Re: New to XCR need info

The biggest similarity to the AK is the piston/carrier/bolt design, which is definitely AK inspired. From there, it contains elements of the AR and FAL.

Rugged and reliable as the AK? I don't know if there is enough data out there to draw a conclusion, but I doubt there is anything to this day that will run as long as a well built AK.

It can be maintained easier than an AK: detail strip and all major parts replacement done by the user with common tools.

I'll leave the other questions for some other folks.

The search button is your friend.

1. The XCR has a very similar long stroke piston assembly.

2. The XCR design is more corrosion and rust resistant due to the use of aluminum over stamped steel. Like the AK, literal parts breakage VERY rare with XCR.

3. It's easier to maintain than the AK. It's also much easier to service in the field.

4. It shoots 7.62x39 just fine, the only weakness being the magazine at this point.

5. I am not sure about mud or water, but I have poured sand directly into the XCR action and it worked just fine. I repeat, I didnt just bury the gun, I poured sand into the ejection port and magwell and it still worked.

"Amateurs talk about tactics, but professionals study logistics." - Gen. Robert Barrow, USMC (1980)
    www.acrforum.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

That's pretty impressive that it still functioned after pouring sand directly into the action.

There is a pretty good magazine out on the AK47 (G&A)

One of the general conclusion was that if forced to pick just one gun (M16 or an AK47) the authors would go with the M16
    (keep in mind the XCR is better than the M16)

Bottom line is the XCR the reliability of the AK47 mechanism, with the far more precision shooting of a modern AR type fire arm (and despite a so called non target barrel, the XCR is in the top of its class with accuracy in a standard version)

If you are spraying bullets at close range, the AK47 is good (or just spraying bullets a good gun means nothing).

If you are aiming and or need to shoot at longer ranges (50+ yards) accurately, then an AK47 does not cut it.

The AK47 is designed to be cheap to manufacture and for untrained people to use. That means a massive amount of rounds thrown out for any hits.

The XCR does share the AK47s feature of a folding stock, and that means it can be shorted for carry and closed room fighting, and still be equally as good as the best of the M16s for longer range work.

There is a pretty good magazine out on the AK47 (G&A)

One of the general conclusion was that if forced to pick just one gun (M16 or an AK47) the authors would go with the M16
    (keep in mind the XCR is better than the M16
    I have that magazine and have read all the articles.What gets under my skin is that some of the authors tended to begin their writings with something like "I'm not a big fan of the AK".My feeling was that if your aren't then why would you write an article about it? Most of then however do tend to give credit to it for being what it is,a great combat arm.
    The point I'm making is that even if you don't like the AK,you have to realize it's good at what it does,and was intended to do if the operator does his part.In truth the AK is more accurate than the shooter in most combat situations.I'm not saying at all that more accuracy isn't a good thing or that I think the AK is a better weapon than the AK.What I am saying is that the AK is plenty accurate way past 50 yards,enough to get man size torso hit out to 300 yards.If you don't believe that,then either you've never fired one or you need to train more.It is not a benchrest target weapon,it was never intended to be,but neither was the XCR.The loose tolerances people keep stating for the reason for the AK's "poor" accuracy has less to do with actual hit ratio in combat that the operators not being properly trained on the weapon and the poor quality of foreign manufactured ammo.
    As far as the XCR and long range lethality go,if you using the 5.56 your stretching the limits of the round to kill very well past the 350 yard mark anyway.Sure it has been done before,but it's by far the ideal circumstance to expect reliability at truly long ranges.Yes I know you can change calibers,but how much of that ammo can you afford will be available if you ever really need it in mass quantities?

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

"If you are aiming and or need to shoot at longer ranges (50+ yards) accurately, then an AK47 does not cut it."

Sorry, could not resist.
    I have shot a stock AK47 during my military days in the land of brown bear, in a competition. At 100m (yards) I would shoot better than 80% (meaning 10 rounds inside the 3” group) with stock AK metal sights, from a prone position, single shot fire. That particular gun was in service since 1971 (as was shown on the date stamp), seen uncounted numbers of conscripts like myself, who hated the service and hated taking care of their weapons. Mind you, we did not zero those or anything. We would just test shoot all the rifles in our battalion to pick 10 best ones for the competition team.

Having said all that, I don't like AK that much and would not buy one. I did however buy XCR in 7.62 and the 5.56 kit and cannot wait to try those.

I own and shoot both. I like them both. If the 2 of them were laying side by side in a SHTF condition, I would pick up the AK. I hate to disappoint you XCR worshipers, but, I would grab my AR -15 carbine before the XCR also. (Blasphemy on this site, I know!) There is just no comparing the track records. One of the things I learned in the Marine Corps is, the M-16 is alot more reliable than you think, and the AK-47 is alot more accurate than you think.
    None of this should be taken to mean that the XCR is not a fine platform. It fills the intended role that I purchased it for quite well.
    Now in darkness, world stops turning as the war machine keeps burning.
    No more war pigs of the power. Hand of God has struck the hour.
    Day of judgement, God is calling. On their knees, the war pigs crawling.
    Begging mercy for their sins.
    Satan, laughing....spreads his wings.

Since the OP was asking for XCR info, I hope I'll be excused for a question of my own: Can anyone tell me what thread it was in which Terra posted snapshots of an XCR SBR and a tan-painted XCR standard model?

I've looked through several threads without success.

The thread was called, Lighten Up!

https://xcrforum.com/index.php/topic,2989.0.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors