XCR Cold Weather Tests
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By roflcopters

Thread: XCR Cold Weather Tests

XCR Cold Weather Tests

XCR Cold Weather Tests-img_20200105_110723.jpg

So recently we had a couple weeks of -30F weather and I wanted to see how the XCR and AR behave in colder conditions.

Test: Rifles left outside with ammo overnight (-35F) and tested the next day in -30F
    Firearm condition: XCR lubed approximately 300 rounds ago. AR lubed approximately 200 rounds ago. Neither cleaned since lube.

First, optics and batteries. Holosun functioned fine (shake-awake), laser and lights all worked (x300s). The CR2032 on my 1-6x failed. The 1-6x couldn't be adjusted because the ring was frozen.

Started with the XCR on gas setting 1. I had to use the forward assist to get the round into the chamber. It would stick right before going into battery (where the bolt lugs locked into the breech). On first round had an FTE, so went to gas 2 for the second round. Similar result. On the 3rd round went to gas 4 and it emptied the magazine and BHO worked on last round. bang bang bang. 62gr Federal OTM.

With the AR meme pistol, I had to feed a round from the magazine, get it in the chamber, pull the magazine and let the bolt slam home to go into battery on the first 8-9 shots. Yeah you might have noticed the round would stick in the chamber allowing me to re-cycle the bolt. The magazine spring would put pressure on the bottom of the bolt, causing it to drag and be unable to feed the next round. FTFs until around 15 rounds into the mag, then it started running like a top. 147gr subsonic 300blk.

The XCR on gas 4 in those conditions felt about the same as running it on gas 2 in warmer conditions. If the Unimags work out I'll be grabbing a 6.5G barrel and upgrading to the new gas blocks. If I had cleaned both rifles and shot them dry, I could probably run the XCR on gas 3 without issue. Really happy with these guns, XCR clearly doesn't care about cold given enough gas. Even with supersonic loads the AR would not have run, the bolt would stick hard after picking up a round.
    TexasChris likes this.

The Type 3 gas blocks seem to be better sealing around machined surface on the bbl....IME, they seem like after converting from Type 1 block to Type 3, that they will cycle with lower gas settings. None of that is cold weather testing though.

Thanks for the info.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by fachries View Post
    +1
    So you've found that to be true as well?
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Sponsors