Rust/corrosion issues with x39

Thread: Rust/corrosion issues with x39

Rust/corrosion issues with x39

Anyone else have any rust issues with their XCR with 7.62x39 or 5.45?

I've been using silver bear 60gr in the 5.45 and mostly 8m3 in 7.62. To the best of my knowledge neither of those are corrosive. The 7.62 looks rough. Carrier, op rod and gas tube all had some decent buildup. There's bits inside the upper as well. The 5.45 isn't nearly as bad but there's a couple of spots on the carrier, bolt and barrel extension. I'm in FL so the humidity is an issue but it's been fairly dry this winter with the occasional storm passing through. The cans I used on both look fine and the ARs and the VZ58 I used with the same ammo are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Anyone else have any rust issues with their XCR with 7.62x39 or 5.45?

I've been using silver bear 60gr in the 5.45 and mostly 8m3 in 7.62. To the best of my knowledge neither of those are corrosive. The 7.62 looks rough. Carrier, op rod and gas tube all had some decent buildup. There's bits inside the upper as well. The 5.45 isn't nearly as bad but there's a couple of spots on the carrier, bolt and barrel extension. I'm in FL so the humidity is an issue but it's been fairly dry this winter with the occasional storm passing through. The cans I used on both look fine and the ARs and the VZ58 I used with the same ammo are fine.
    No rust on mine...but I'm in AZ with typically extremely low humidity.

Now I run a lot of Wolf, GT and Brown Bear and all of it is pretty dirty in terms of the powder residue, but I don't clean mine either. Been using a little Mobil 1 pink/red wheel bearing grease lightly on the carriers on the XCRs and the AKs from time to time....mostly I just wipe the carbon off periodically.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    No rust on mine...but I'm in AZ with typically extremely low humidity.

Now I run a lot of Wolf, GT and Brown Bear and all of it is pretty dirty in terms of the powder residue, but I don't clean mine either. Been using a little Mobil 1 pink/red wheel bearing grease lightly on the carriers on the XCRs and the AKs from time to time....mostly I just wipe the carbon off periodically.
    +1

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I haven't seen any. I've got about 500rds of corrosive through my x39. Corrosive primers suck and it really doesn't take many to ruin a barrel untreated. I always do the soapy water/solvent/oil method to get that stuff out within a day or so of shooting it. You can use the big45 rust removal for small spots; its like a bag of steel wool except copper & other softer materials that pull the rust off without damaging the steel. Don't use steel brushes. There's also a bath cleaner that can be used but I think it'd pull the coating off the parts too.

Sponsors