1st Time Out: 11" XCR-L in 6.5G
Like Tree6Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Time Out: 11" XCR-L in 6.5G

1st Time Out: 11" XCR-L in 6.5G

Thanks to Nate for helping me acquire this one.

I'm mainly doing a brief write up to help me remember which mags had issues. I have 12 dedicated 6.5G mags....11 are ASC 25 round and one is a curved old stock Cproducts that came with the gun. I plan to try and run the Unimags with it as well at some point.

Today was literally nothing more than a function check. I put a Primary Arms Cyclops on it in the low ADM mount to give cowitness with Troy Micros I had laying around. I didn't zero the optic or even use the irons. Just shooting an IDPA size target at 25 yards or less....

I only brought mags 1-6.

3, 4 & 5 all exhibited one failure to feed (nose sort of heading into the chamber, bolt trying to close on the neck). I had that happen 2 times on mag #4, but only once on 3 & 5. None of these mags locked back on empty....I just cleared the malf and loaded/shot the dinged up round.

By contrast mags 1,2 & 6 all ran 100%, no issues, locked back on empty.

I ran mags 4, 5 & 6 first, consecutively doing mag dumps. Let the gun cool down and shot other stuff I brought, then ran mags 1, 2 & 3....in those orders. So 3 stoppages on the first two mags (4 &5)....then 6, 1 & 2 ran 100%. Then mag #3 had a failure to feed and didn't lock back on empty as 4 & 5 had failed to do.

I am thinking the gas may not be high enough and could be causing this problem. I've seen it on my x39 9" with the Type 3 block...if I don't have the gas turned high enough....the Unimags will have issues feeding like that (though the 30 round curved Cproducts work fine on lower gas settings...so the problem isn't really the gun, so much as the mags. The problem on my X39 with Unimags can be overcome by more gas at the cost of increased recoil).

I was chucking spent casings on setting 7 about 15-20 feet. Certainly not what I'm used to with that high of a gas setting. I didn't turn it down as I figured 6 mags is only 150 rounds...it may just need more break in.

The gun feels great when running. I have only shot a few other 6.5Gs....this one seems really tame (I do have a VG6 Gamma .300 BLK brake on it though & the ones I've shot had 3 port brakes)....4-5 tap shots on target at that range were easy. Felt like substantially less kick than my 7.62x39 9" XCR. I am very interested to run it side by side....and with 5.56. The recoil felt more like 5.56 than X39 to me ....of course that might be due to being undergassed (for that high of a gas setting).

Overall, I really like the gun....just hope I can get it running 100%.

I'm planning to eventually try taking this thing out to 5-600 yards with a can on it.

I also recently broke down and bought a Kalashnikov-USA Komrad 12 "firearm". Dude, this thing is AWESOME. I didn't think it would run 1190ish FPS loads. I'd read over and over that it needs 1340+. B/c of the CVD-19 mess, I couldn't get any 00 Buck or anything else, so all I had in my reserves was cheap Federal bulk pack from Wallyworld. I thought it would be single action.

Nope...ran all of it 100%. 7.5 and 8 shot. I think it may run better than my modded VEPR12 on that shit ammo. The factory mags seem to be good to go, but I splurged and spent the money on the CSSpecs 8 round mags (the 10 are just stupid long). I got them mainly b/c they advertised being able to load into a Saiga on a closed bolt. But, if you're thinking you're going to load them that way, you're likely mistaken....at least I couldn't get them to using a conventional grip. Instead I found that if I turn my hand over, in other words....instead of having your support hand's thumb & pointer finger at the top of the mag where the rounds come out, you position those fingers down towards the floor plate end of the mag, then just compress the first round against the bolt a bit, catch the lip on the mag on the shelf in the front of the mag well and rock it in. You can use the same method to load the factory mags on a closed bolt.

Recoil was more tame than out of the VEPR too for some reason....might be that the SBA3 brace is wider than the RA XCR stock I mated to the VEPR I have. Having shot my buddies VEPR a lot with the factory folding stock, I'd say it's not any better in terms of recoil than mine with the XCR stock.

I've got the parts to put a folder on it and drop in an ALG trigger. The factory one is smooth but very long on both take up and reset. It will only be like 22" folded.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Nice review!
    Sean K. likes this.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Great review, I would love to find a 11" 6.5 grendel XCR

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Outing #2.

Mags 3,4,5 and 10 had the same issues as before once per mag.

I ran 1-11...the others ran fine, but a few didn't lock back on empty.

Ejection is erratic. Sometimes it throws cases 20', others dribble out of the gun.....I think the gas dial ports aren't aligned correctly or it's got the wrong dial.

A friend with a 6.5G AR ran mag #4....no issues with feeding but failed to lock back (his rifle is known to be undergassed though even with an adjustable gas block opened up all the way).

I'll have to pull it apart and start checking port sizes/alignment before I can definitely say anything about it being the mags or the gun. The fact that the SAME mags had problems makes me think it's the mags....but having spotty ejection makes me question the gas system.

I'll report what I find. Hopefully I posted my Type 3 gas dial sizes for the X39...I'd guess those should be close to the same as 6.5G.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Stock from Rob Arms Type 3 Dial Port Sizes 6.5G with 11" bbl:

7=.082"
    6=.076
    5=.070
    4=.067
    3=.064

I don't have calibrated gauge pins for the smaller sizes....drill bit wise they are apparently smaller than .040 thou.

Seems like it has the wrong dial.

Very interesting! And that sucks! Any idea what caliber that dial goes with?
    Last edited by mjorin; 04-19-2020 at 12:01 AM.
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by mjorin View Post
    Very interesting! And that sucks! Any idea what caliber that dial goes with?
    Based on what I'm seeing in the port sizes thread....I think it may be the right dial for a much longer bbl....like the 16" or 18.6" maybe.

I haven't checked the bbl or gas block port themselves though...so it could be that those are undersized.

Oh...and I'm guessing the reason it's so tame is being undergassed. It's odd b/c when I shot it the first time I was by myself and was shooting and moving which meant the spent cases were all scattered out and I only noticed the ones that were being flung what I thought was about 20 feet out of my peripheral vision.

This time I had people watching for ejection distance and some were just dribbling out of the ejection port while others were 12-15 feet away. Granted, this was on setting 7 the whole time both days and I have verified that is the largest port and it does align correctly with the bbl port (assuming the bbl port is TDC on the bbl at 12 o'clock).

I also ran a 10.5" 5.56 XCR-L with Type 1 gas (standard length) and a 9" 7.62x39 XCR-L (mini-length gas in standard upper; buried Type 3 block) for comparison.

The 5.56 is just super smooth....very little, very controllable recoil.

The 6.5G definitely has more kick and isn't quite as controllable, but with the current gas situation, it's pretty easy to get 4-5 round strings on a target at 50 feet no problem.

The X39 has the most recoil of the bunch, but to be fair, I have the gas turned up 1 more position than is necessary to run reliably with the Unimags. If I run the 30 round curved ASCs....I can run it down one setting. I didn't bring any of the curved mags b/c they look stupid, lol.....so I couldn't compare that aspect. While it has more recoil, it's still able to get 2 maybe 3 rounds off really quick before coming off target. Part of that additional recoil might be due to the shorter gas system and bbl length as well (obviously).

Theoretically, the X39 and 6.5G shouldn't require as many follow up shots as 5.56, but I'd guess that depends on shot placement more than anything (as usual), the type of round (40 grain V-max in .223 is pretty devastating at short range) and whether or not your opponent has armor you're having to shoot around.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 04-20-2020 at 04:06 PM.

I've noticed the inconsistent ejection on a few of my xcrs. Several solid with the occasional dribbling out. Maybe it's an extractor/ ejection issue. I've not taken any good data on it.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    I've noticed the inconsistent ejection on a few of my xcrs. Several solid with the occasional dribbling out. Maybe it's an extractor/ ejection issue. I've not taken any good data on it.
    Yeah, not sure what's causing it as the standard deviation of the ammo types I'm using are supposed to be good. I'm inclined to think it's gas though since the bolt isn't locking back on an empty mag reliably...even on mags that ran 100%. Could be a follower issue in the mag too though...something slightly out of spec.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors