Possible Type 0/1 to Type 2 mod?
Like Tree2Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Possible Type 0/1 to Type 2 mod?

  1. #1
    XCR Guru navalbeaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Posts
    2,439

    Possible Type 0/1 to Type 2 mod?

    Anyone else think you could remove the firing pin and chop off the back of a type 0 or 1 bolt to turn it into a type 2?

    I'm guessing there might be some internal differences in the firing pin channel based on the changes to the FP over the years. But the bolt head is the same and there was the guy that decided to run a type 1 bolt in a type 2 carrier without the type 2 firing pin.

    It wasn't on purpose but I've ended up with more of the type 2 lowers than type 1s. Just thinking if it'd be an easy "fix" if it came down to it.

  2. #2
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931
    Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Anyone else think you could remove the firing pin and chop off the back of a type 0 or 1 bolt to turn it into a type 2?

    I'm guessing there might be some internal differences in the firing pin channel based on the changes to the FP over the years. But the bolt head is the same and there was the guy that decided to run a type 1 bolt in a type 2 carrier without the type 2 firing pin.

    It wasn't on purpose but I've ended up with more of the type 2 lowers than type 1s. Just thinking if it'd be an easy "fix" if it came down to it.
    I'd have to look at the bolts more closely, but I think it might be possible.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  3. #3
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931
    Looked at the Type 1 vs. Type 2 bolts tonight.

    I *think* it would be a simple chop. There ARE some differences. The lug in the Type 2 that the op rod front foot sits against is larger than Type 1 lug, but it's "larger" in such a way that it shouldn't affect function from what I can tell. There's also a relief cut around the lug in the Type 2 that appears to be slightly deeper and wider than the Type 1. I didn't take measurements, but I don't think you'd have to mirror this on a shortened Type 1 bolt to make it work in a Type 2 weapon.

    Also, my Type 2 bolt looks as if it was just cut down....

    The front foot on a Type 2 Op Rod also has a recess cut in the front....for what reason, I don't know.

    So to summarize, I'd say it's definitely doable. I think it would work with no issues.....

    I'm guessing the bolt itself is pretty hard, so one might want to do a rough cut with an abrasive cut off wheel (pick your poison as to what type of angle grinder/chop saw/etc.) Then clean it up on a sander. I probably wouldn't use a band saw to cut it. A lathe would do a great job as well....provided you have access. The lathe would be the most accurate, but frankly, I'd feel very confident doing it by hand with a 4.5" angle grinder and 1/16" cut off wheel and then clean it up on a 12" disc sander.

    The one issue might be that the cut end might not be hard enough since I doubt they are through hardened and are probably induction hardened instead.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931
    BTW, Nate.....if you have a Type 1 and Type 2 bolt to look at, the differences are pretty plain but are relatively minor.

    I suck at computers or I'd post some pics, but if you have access to both types....take a look. If not, let me know and I can take some pics and mark them up to better explain what I'm talking about above.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  6. #5
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931
    Totally off topic question (in the grand tradition of the forum, lol).....

    Do you happen to have any loose 6.5G dials? Of course, RA hasn't been quick about getting back to me to spec out the gas dial port sizes and we might be doing a shoot this weekend and I'd like to try and get at least port 7 fixed before going. Not sure what to drill up to....thinking .098" to be "conservative". Just wondering if you have a 6.5G dial (that isn't mounted on the gun...don't tear anything down to check) and can throw a drill bit in it to give me a ball park for the #7 setting.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  7. #6
    XCR Guru navalbeaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Posts
    2,439
    I might be able to get my grendel apart tomorrow but I don't have a way to measure with any accuracy.

    I got what you're saying about the lug on top of the bolt. Type 0 and 1 are the same. There's no cutout on the right rear corner on Type 2. I haven't had a chance to take anything apart and look yet but now I'm wondering if it's a timing issue for locking.

  8. #7
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931
    Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    I might be able to get my grendel apart tomorrow but I don't have a way to measure with any accuracy.

    I got what you're saying about the lug on top of the bolt. Type 0 and 1 are the same. There's no cutout on the right rear corner on Type 2. I haven't had a chance to take anything apart and look yet but now I'm wondering if it's a timing issue for locking.

    Then absolutely do not fuck with it. Not a big deal. I have a go forward plan for the weekend if I don't hear from RA. Just thought you might have a spare dial laying around.


    Near as I can tell, it's not a timing issue. It looks like they realized they didn't need the cut out to me, but you may be right. No way to really know without trying it.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  9. #8
    Carbineman InVader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Totally off topic question (in the grand tradition of the forum, lol).....

    Do you happen to have any loose 6.5G dials? Of course, RA hasn't been quick about getting back to me to spec out the gas dial port sizes and we might be doing a shoot this weekend and I'd like to try and get at least port 7 fixed before going. Not sure what to drill up to....thinking .098" to be "conservative". Just wondering if you have a 6.5G dial (that isn't mounted on the gun...don't tear anything down to check) and can throw a drill bit in it to give me a ball park for the #7 setting.
    I talked with the tech. He said you could open the barrel hole up to as high as .082, but he seemed to think the inconsistent ejection sounds more like an extractor problem. He suggested seeing if the bolt holds a round securely if you hold it in your hand and twist it up and down to see if it wobbles around.
    Sean K. likes this.

  10. #9
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,931
    Quote Originally Posted by InVader View Post
    I talked with the tech. He said you could open the barrel hole up to as high as .082, but he seemed to think the inconsistent ejection sounds more like an extractor problem. He suggested seeing if the bolt holds a round securely if you hold it in your hand and twist it up and down to see if it wobbles around.
    So I tried that on both my 6.5G and one of my x39s. The x39 was "less" secure with the 6.5G rounds than it was in the bolt from the 6.5G, but both were pretty secure. The X39 bolt/gun runs just fine.

    The #7 port in the dial is already at .082". Did you mean the actual bbl port when you said "barrel hole" in reference to opening it up to .082? I haven't checked the gas block or bbl port sizes yet.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  11. #10
    Carbineman InVader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    The #7 port in the dial is already at .082". Did you mean the actual bbl port when you said "barrel hole" in reference to opening it up to .082? I haven't checked the gas block or bbl port sizes yet.
    Yes, the gas port hole in the actual barrel.
    Sean K. likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •