How to remove muzzle brake?

Thread: How to remove muzzle brake?

How to remove muzzle brake?

Hope this is the right forum...question is just simply how have you guys gone about ***safely***changing muzzle brakes on your XCR?

Any help here is appreciated.

Re: How to remove muzzle brake?

put the barrel in a vice, get a flash hider tool, attach to the hider and turn counter clockwise using a socket wrench. It may take a little bit of force but it will come.
    "When your life depends on it, you will not rise to the level of your expectations, but rather fall to the level of your training."

Jon, thanks for the reply. So just any old benchvise will work?

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Jon posted the right way.

Mine is more of the ghetto way.

The most important "safety" thing is to make sure it's unloaded.

The only other safety that would really need to be considered would be the safety of your finish. Using a thin cloth can help.

Use a wrench of the appropriate size to simply unscrew the brake. Using a vice helps, but the first time I removed my muzzle brake, I did it sitting on the couch holding the rifle with my knees.

Also, some people have had luck putting a screw driver or something through one side and out the other and using that for leverage. Don't know that I'd recommend that though. Easy to screw up the brake and a screw driver thin enough to fit there wouldn't have a lot of strength.
    The above text may or may not represent the views of the XCR Forum, LurpyGeek, or various personalities contained therein. May not be reproduced without the express written consent of Major League Baseball. Keep out of reach of children. Consult a doctor before reading. May cause drowsiness, itching, apathy and vomiting. Do not resume sexual activity while operating heavy machinery. Thank you and good day.

Yeah in terms of safety I was thinking not torquing the upper or the twisting the barrel out of spec. I tried the 'on the knees' method but felt like I was putting too much pressure on the upper and so forced myself to stop and find out the best way. Seems maybe I'll go dig out the benchvise before I search town for a gunsmith with fancy equipment.

If you care about your finish on the barrel, then make sure you put the barrel between two pieces of wood. The wood should conform enought o apply the correct amount of pressure to the barrel thereby preventing it from turning while maintaining the parkerized finish.
    "If the provisions of the Constitution be not upheld when they pinch, as well as when they comfort, they may as well be abandoned." - U.S. Supreme Court Justice George Southerland, 1934

WWW.GLOCKFAN.US - Glock Pistol Forum

WWW.ACRFORUM.COM - Remington Bushmaster ACR Rifle Forum

DO NOT VISE THE UPPER. PEOPLE HAVE OVER-TIGHTENED AND SQUISHED THINGS IN THE PAST.

Wrap the gas block area in a towel and gently vise on to it. This will prevent rotation. Then you should be able to twist off the muzzle device.

If you live in a state with restrictions, it may well be pinned and welded on. What state are you from?
    Resident Forum Slut

Terra it was just spun on, crush washer behind. I got it off with some gunsmith help. He used santoprene vise covers on the gas block. Came right off, had some trouble getting the original indexed straight up and down though. Did you guys originally send them out with peel washers or do I just need to crank the hell out of it to get it lined up?

To get it indexed correctly, tighten it up, back off a bit, tighten it up again, keep repeating and it should slowly work its way around a little more each time. At least that's what worked best for me.

Then, when you've tightened it to the point that the threads strip, back it off a quarter turn and voila!

I guess I'd better clarify that the last sentence there is sarcasm... :-\
    The above text may or may not represent the views of the XCR Forum, LurpyGeek, or various personalities contained therein. May not be reproduced without the express written consent of Major League Baseball. Keep out of reach of children. Consult a doctor before reading. May cause drowsiness, itching, apathy and vomiting. Do not resume sexual activity while operating heavy machinery. Thank you and good day.

we just use crush washers.
    Resident Forum Slut

Sponsors