AR stock adapter.... - Page 3
Like Tree10Likes
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AR stock adapter....

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Yes. And on the Dlask, there isn't even a surface for you to modify. The adapter angles away and the buffer tube is indexed by a small fix screw. You could mount an end plate, but it would just hang in the breeze. But, straight out of the box, NEA is the only one that'd work with the buffer tube equipped Magpuls.

Here is a picture from Dlask's site: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/027...g?v=1396641685

To run QD, you'd need something like this:
    Now I don't get both of you. This is my UBR on the RA adapter. Is it because the UBR 'buffer tube' has less threads and will not index correctly? There is no indexing screw on the bottom of the DLASK?

AR stock adapter....-dscn1756.jpgAR stock adapter....-dscn1757.jpgAR stock adapter....-dscn1758.jpg

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Merlin, there is a indexing fix screw on the Dlask just like the RA adapter. However, ideally, you want the whole end of the UBR stock to butt up against a surface... like the end of an AR receiver and end plate, as the UBR was designed for. What you're showing is certainly serviceable, but not ideal. The only thing keeping the tube and stock indexed is that little fix screw. That's not a lot of support. Not as much as there would be if the indexing lug on the end of the stock was set in a recess at the end of the receiver/adapter. If you ever need to pogo the gun or bash zombies with your stock, you could easily knock that UBR out of index and cause the fix screw to damage your tube.

This is why I'd recommend against UBR unless you have a NEA adapter. Otherwise, a CTR or other Magpul stocks w/o integrated tube would be better. With those you'd at least have the castle nut to help you maintain index and provide support/strength.

Through Bing image search, below is a picture someone here posted. It's a UBR installed onto a Dlask adapter. Again, the only thing holding index is that little fix screw. You can almost see the exposed lug, just hanging below the bottom of the adapter. It has nothing to interlock with.

Here is another picture someone else posted here of the NEA adapter with UBR. As you can see, the NEA adapter emulates the end of an AR and mates up to the UBR fully. You may have to jack up your monitor's brightness to see it better. Camera should've been focused on the gun for correct exposure. This adapter shifts the axis of the tube higher in relation to the barrel to make room, so the lug at the end of the stock can mate up to the adapter. IIRC, the adapter itself is also ever-so-slighlty taller than the end of the XCR and you can kind of see that in this picture.

Last edited by fmunk; 03-26-2015 at 07:04 PM.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

I'd go with Fmunk said - functional but not ideal, since the lug below the buffer tube has nothing to dig into.

FWIW, I was talking about the fixed stock adaptors, I don't prefer to do folders......
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    I'd go with Fmunk said - functional but not ideal, since the lug below the buffer tube has nothing to dig into.

FWIW, I was talking about the fixed stock adaptors, I don't prefer to do folders......

Yah, folding stock is a nice feature but I've not found it to be all that useful... even when I lived in Nevada. Now in CA, rifles have to be minimum of 30" to be legal... Anyway, I think the most ideal way to have a folder and a UBR is probably a NEA adapter with Law Tactical's AR folder adapter. Both have the recess necessary for the lug to interlock with. But, then you're adding adapter to another and increasing weight to an already heavy stock/rifle. Factory folder with CTR/MOE is really what I'd run.
    Last edited by fmunk; 03-26-2015 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks Guys. I understand better now. I don't fold the stock unless transportation or storage requires it, so that is why I was looking at the DLASK. Good points and advise taken into consideration.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Now I don't get both of you. This is my UBR on the RA adapter. Is it because the UBR 'buffer tube' has less threads and will not index correctly? There is no indexing screw on the bottom of the DLASK?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1756.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	265.0 KB 
ID:	8534Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1757.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	303.6 KB 
ID:	8535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1758.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	280.8 KB 
ID:	8536
    Ok, so I took a look at my UBR install last night and also a install video on YouTube and have a couple of questions based on the pic of the DLASK below. The video shows the UBR being installed into a detente at the 6 o'clock position of an AR adapter which the RA does not have. I am gong to take a closer look again to see if I can do anything with what I have now. Apparently there are different versions to the UBR (think Bravo mentioned this too) so I will probably have to put on my thinking cap.

1. In Red - Can someone measure the width and height of the detente at 6 o'clock on the DLASK for me? Thanks.
    2. In Yellow - Is there a screw here to lock in the tube if needed?

AR stock adapter....-xcr_stock_grande.jpg

What I am going to try and do is bottom out the UBR 'tube' and lock it in on the video to see if that will work on mine.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Not exactly....
    I had a machinist cut my stock adaptor (in the area of your red circle) to make a place for that lock to go into.
    You've got to have someone who knows what they're doing though, because there's not much "meat" left between the set screw threads and the cut when it's done.

If it'll help, I'll try to get some pictures of mine. Just let me know.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Not exactly....
    I had a machinist cut my stock adaptor (in the area of your red circle) to make a place for that lock to go into.
    You've got to have someone who knows what they're doing though, because there's not much "meat" left between the set screw threads and the cut when it's done.

If it'll help, I'll try to get some pictures of mine. Just let me know.
    Thanks B. I will let you know, one thought I had in case of the thinner material is to get everything where it needs to be and tap straight through the adapter and the tube, then use a pan head screw to secure it together.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Or you could do it like I do.....
    I have the threads cut down to where they bottom out in the adaptor, then put enough loctite on the threads that a set screw would be completely useless.
    But then, I am known for overkill at times.
    Merlin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post

1. In Red - Can someone measure the width and height of the detente at 6 o'clock on the DLASK for me? Thanks.
    2. In Yellow - Is there a screw here to lock in the tube if needed?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xcr_stock_grande.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	8572

What I am going to try and do is bottom out the UBR 'tube' and lock it in on the video to see if that will work on mine.
    Width of the indentation is 0.205". Height is 0.254". And yes, there is a fix screw at the location you circled in yellow. In the adapter pictured left, it would be on top (upside down).
    Merlin likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsors