Break-in issues (Accuracy & casing damage) - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Break-in issues (Accuracy & casing damage)

Re: Break-in issues (Accuracy & casing damage)

Once again thanks for your advice. OK one item at a time.

Naval Beaver: I was able to track some down through a Canadian Distributor. This means that I won't have to pay duty, or worry about them being held at the border. I am going to be in Florida in a couple weeks, so I figured I get them while I am in the US, but for now, I found a "local" source. Thanks though, I appreciate you stepping up.

Ghost: I ordered 3, and as per your advice, I think I will keep a spare in the hand grip. I definitely will not shoot without one. I did not see any obvious damage, but in the last magazine, I had two FTFs (using 110 Gr Hornady V-Max). The rounds were ejected, examined, and then fired without incident. To piggy back on what Buddy Chryst said earlier, if I listened to what the rifle was telling me, this might have been the first clue that something might not be totally right. (These were the only 2 FTFs I have had after 180 rounds.) I am still breaking the rifle in, so I am still shooting it with the gas on 4 (180 rounds, so I hope to be able to lower the gas setting next time I can go to the range). As for the brass denting, that seems to have stopped after about 100 rounds, I think it could have been directly related to the tight fit of everything before the break-in really started. It is still "launching" the brass about 10-15 feet in the air and about 20 feet from the rifle. In some cases, the brass is clearing the fence on the range. The accuracy seems to have gotten better. I haven't gotten to the "big" range since the first night, and it is hard to tell on a 25 yard range on base, but I am getting groupings a little bigger than the size of a quarter @ 25 yards, so at 50 or 100, they will all be on the paper which is a LOT better than what I was getting the first night. You mentioned to make sure the ejector screws are tight. At the risk of sounding really dumb (which I am), specifically, which springs are you referring to?

BTW, one of the things I really like about this forum is the willingness of those with experience to help out us new guys. Nobody around here shoots an XCR, so it is nice to have someplace to turn to for advice from someone familiar with the gun.
    "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." ~ Sir Winston Churchill after the Battle of Britain.

Remember, the break-in is an estimate. If I were you, I'd turn the gas down. If you're throwing brass 20 feet or more and destroyed a buffer, the rifle is telling you it's overgassed.

The break in is to prevent malfunctions from happening when you start off as parts wear against each other a bit. Some rifles need it, some don't. Some might have an issue that break in won't resolve.

In my completely non-expert opinion, switch to setting two and see how it shoots. If its still slinging brass quite a distance, go to one. If rounds are only going a few feet, bump back up to three. If its just right, you got your sweet spot.
    Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

I'm going to defer to BuddyChryst, he has been at this racket longer than I have. Try it his way and see if that does the trick. You may be done breaking it in already.

Regarding the ejector, it is the metal origami piece bolted inside the right side of the upper receiver. There are 2 light-colored bolts, 5/32s if memory serves but I may be mistaken. Those 2 bolts hold the ejector inside the receiver with just enough clearance so it doesn't rub the bolt as it reciprocates, but close enough that it ejects the spent round as it is extracted from the chamber out the ejection port. These are nearly always treated with red loctite at the factory during assembly, but checking that they're snugged down tight and hitting each one with a witness mark is a good step to make right now while the rifle is still new. Some very early XCRs had bolts come loose from the helicoils but that has not been a common complaint in a rather long time. That said, anything can be manufactured imperfectly, so take a look. I happen to like white nail polish as a witness marker, paint a narrow strip over the bolt onto the receiver inside surface and you'll be able to tell at a glance if anything is coming loose.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Ghost-6, I really like your witness mark idea. I do it all the time as an electrician terminating lugs on bus bars, but for some reason never thought to do it to my rifle. Good call!

Hi all, I know this is a very old thread but I just recently bought an XCR-L and shot it for the first time the other day. I had the gas set on 5 and then turned it down to 4 and put about 50 rounds through it at 50 yards with both 55 and 62 grain.

All shell casings were ejecting out about 20-30 feet, with a dent on one side at the mouth/neck area looking like a crescent moon. Is this normal? Should I worry about this potential issue damaging my rifle? I just want to make sure I get it checked out or resolved before pumping anymore rounds through it. Any help is much appreciated as this is my first rifle!

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Break-in issues (Accuracy & casing damage)-f71a41ba-0951-4bb9-bdd0-fffcc50831fa_1599492702345.jpeg   Break-in issues (Accuracy & casing damage)-28707cce-a81b-4c44-9677-11a5fbbd7b5d_1599492729889.jpeg  
    RobertSlaughter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LJB853 View Post
    Hi all, I know this is a very old thread but I just recently bought an XCR-L and shot it for the first time the other day. I had the gas set on 5 and then turned it down to 4 and put about 50 rounds through it at 50 yards with both 55 and 62 grain.

All shell casings were ejecting out about 20-30 feet, with a dent on one side at the mouth/neck area looking like a crescent moon. Is this normal? Should I worry about this potential issue damaging my rifle? I just want to make sure I get it checked out or resolved before pumping anymore rounds through it. Any help is much appreciated as this is my first rifle!

Thank you!
    Over gassed....SeanK is the expert, hopefully he'll be along shortly....providing the first 2 numbers of your serial number may help, the gas systems have gone through a few generations now. We know there was definitely a qc issue in the past (with respect to port sizing). If you can measure the size of your ports, I can link you to his post on the correct sizes.

*Edit, In case I don't check back fast enough, here's the post with the gas port info https://www.xcrforum.com/forum/15-fi...ort-specs.html
    Sean K. and RobertSlaughter like this.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
    Over gassed....SeanK is the expert, hopefully he'll be along shortly....providing the first 2 numbers of your serial number may help, the gas systems have gone through a few generations now. We know there was definitely a qc issue in the past (with respect to port sizing). If you can measure the size of your ports, I can link you to his post on the correct sizes.

*Edit, In case I don't check back fast enough, here's the post with the gas port info https://www.xcrforum.com/forum/15-fi...ort-specs.html
    I think he's squared away in one of his other posts about the case damage...........
    TexasChris likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Thanks for the info guys. The first 2 numbers in my serial number are 11. Not sure if this helps diagnosis but next time I shoot I plan to try shooting gas level 3 all the way down to 1 and see how it looks and report back. I was shooting accurate the last time but it was just showing those dented casings at the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by LJB853 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. The first 2 numbers in my serial number are 11. Not sure if this helps diagnosis but next time I shoot I plan to try shooting gas level 3 all the way down to 1 and see how it looks and report back. I was shooting accurate the last time but it was just showing those dented casings at the mouth.
    That's an OG XCR with, what I'm assuming is, a 1100 S/N and not an 11,000#. It's probably just overgassed. Does it have a Type 1 block? I don't remember where your other thread's at or if you mentioned the gas block type.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Hi Sean, it actually is an 11,000 serial number. I've attached a picture of the gas block..looks like a Type 3 based on research done.Break-in issues (Accuracy & casing damage)-img_6156.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors