Increase opening angle of older XCR
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By navalbeaver
  • 1 Post By Sean K.
  • 1 Post By Mechanic

Thread: Increase opening angle of older XCR

Increase opening angle of older XCR

I was unable to find the answer to the following question and it seemed like it should go under Maintenance.

My 2010 XCR-L (5.56) opens very little when pushing the take down button near the buttstock. I know that in later versions they changed it so it hinges open to a full 90 degrees like an M4/M16. Is there something I can do to make my XCR open up more? What is limiting the amount it opens when pivoting on the front pin? At this point I'm willing to take a dremel to it and repaint/coat that weapon later.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmw2018 View Post
    I was unable to find the answer to the following question and it seemed like it should go under Maintenance.

My 2010 XCR-L (5.56) opens very little when pushing the take down button near the buttstock. I know that in later versions they changed it so it hinges open to a full 90 degrees like an M4/M16. Is there something I can do to make my XCR open up more? What is limiting the amount it opens when pivoting on the front pin? At this point I'm willing to take a dremel to it and repaint/coat that weapon later.
    Thanks
    You'll have to remove material from the bottom rear of the lug the barrel bolt installs into. If you look when you open it up, you can see where it makes contact.
    Merlin likes this.

Super easy to do. I took mine off with a 3" roloc sanding disc on a 90º air die grinder. A 4.5" angle grinder with a flapper would work just as well if not better. Just don't take too much off. Funny, after I sent in my upper for warranty work, RA started making the uppers with this material removed. Much easier to access things and if you had a popped primer or something lodged in the trigger group.
    Merlin likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

A hand file works equally as well. And, allows you to make small adjustments. I think I did this while watching some blue Bloods reruns.
    Merlin likes this.
    "Don't Tread On Me!"
    -- (reiterated without permission) Rich Hornay

Sponsors