Old trigger disconnector spring on Enhanced trigger?

Thread: Old trigger disconnector spring on Enhanced trigger?

Old trigger disconnector spring on Enhanced trigger?

I attempted to upgrade my XCR from the old trigger to the new Enhanced trigger, but the old disconnector spring does not seem to seat properly into the new parts. The old spring is asymmetric, with the last coil and a half being wider than the rest of the spring: but the old spring seats perfectly and securely in the old trigger parts. No new spring came with the new trigger kit.

The wide-part of the old spring is too wide to fit into the "cup" on the new trigger. If I flip the spring upside down, then the narrow part fits into the cup provided in the trigger, but the wide-part will only fit into the disconnector's notch off-center. Either way I'm concerned the spring will walk out or kink up under use.

Suggestions?

Is this the way it's meant to be, and the disconnector spring will be fine? Is there some special way I need to mash the spring in to get it to sit securely?

Or do I need to order a new disconnector spring? Can I use one from an AR-15, or is the disconnector spring XCR-specifc?

Re: Old trigger disconnector spring on Enhanced trigger?

My old spring was trashed from coil bind in the old trigger/disc. assy.
    I put in an AR15 spring ( it may actually have been from some M16 parts I have but I think they are the same) and it has been working fine ever since.
    I suggested to Terra at the time that a new spring be included with the upgrade setup. Never heard anything back re that.
    Pete

Thanks for the reply shortfal, that's good to know I can use the AR-15 disconnector spring.

Since the trigger install PDF file in the sticky post says the wide end is supposed to fit into the notch on the disconnector, I carefully used a pair of pliers to mush the wider coils into the notch and then pull it up (kind of walking one side up then the other) so the spring is centered. It's definitely not flying out of that notch, and it centers over the pocket on the trigger part nicely now too.

I finished the trigger installation, and yes, the trigger pull is noticeably lighter (I have a 7.62x39 XCR with the stronger hammer spring), as is the resistance on the charging handle. Trigger resets fine, dry-fire and hand cycling all look good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I was going to suggest forcing the wide end into the notch,but you already had that figured out by the time I finished reading the thread...lol.Either way,it's not a terrible idea to have several disconnect springs for cases of wear or loss.They do get beat up pretty good.My disconnect spring was snug like yours,but I had problems with resetting on mine.I had to polish a little where the hammer releases the disconnector (new trigger).

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

Early on when I was trying to get my original XCR trigger/disc. working better I noticed the spring coil binding and trashing that spring. I ended up cutting one of the pockets deeper with a carbide end mill. That done the coil bind issue went away. The trigger was still crap though.
    When installing and trying out the new trigger assy. I had a problem with the nub that sticks out the side of the hammer wanting to hang up on the inside of the upper rec. I ended up milling about .025 off the side of that nub.
    That took care of the problem. I find it interesting no one else here has reported having that issue.
    That new trigger made it a whole new gun!

Sponsors