XCR-M Bolt and Carrier?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XCR-M Bolt and Carrier?

XCR-M Bolt and Carrier?

It had been rumoured some time ago that the -M bolt and carrier are going to be different then the -L. (cant remember where I read it :-[ )

Anyone want to comment or better yet, maybe a picture of two, Kolob, VB,,,,,,,,, anyone?
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Re: XCR-M Bolt and Carrier?

Wouldn't it have to be different out of necessity due to the caliber? Meaning being more robust and the receiver looks slightly bigger.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

The Type That Asks "Why"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Wouldn't have to be different out of necessity due to the caliber? Meaning being more robust and the receiver looks slightly bigger.
    From the information I have gathered. The bolt and the carrier design have been changed for the M; along with the gas block. Obviously. The receiver, from what I can tell, is about 1.5in longer. A little near at the barrel nut, half an inch or so for magwell, half an inch after the brass deflector and a little at the rear most part of the lower.

It would be nice if we could see first hand why and how the parts changed. For instance why does the gas block have that protrusion at the front? Is it to increase pressure?

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

It would be nice if we could see first hand why and how the parts changed. For instance why does the gas block have that protrusion at the front? Is it to increase pressure?
    If I understand correctly the gas system was improved on the "M" to give more control over pressure,due to the fact there is such a wide variance in 7.62x51 surplus and commercial 308. Winchester ammunition that more adjustment was necessary to insure function with all types of ammo.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by dont_tread_on_me View Post
    If I understand correctly the gas system was improved on the "M" to give more control over pressure,due to the fact there is such a wide variance in 7.62x51 surplus and commercial 308. Winchester ammunition that more adjustment was necessary to insure function with all types of ammo.
    How does the new design compare to a FAL's adjustment?

Wouldn't it have to be different out of necessity due to the caliber? Meaning being more robust and the receiver looks slightly bigger.
    Sorry, I didn't word the op correctly, I ment a different design then the -L, not just bigger / longer. I just remember someone mentioning that it was going to be "different"
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by cjt50 View Post
    Sorry, I didn't word the op correctly, I ment a different design then the -L, not just bigger / longer. I just remember someone mentioning that it was going to be "different"
    Ah OK. We may have to wait and see the first ones shipped unless Alex chimes in.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

How does the new design compare to a FAL's adjustment?
    I can't speak to the design itself,as far as similarities,but I think the idea of a large amount of adjustment like the FAL was a goal.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.----John Stuart Mill

Let me try to answer some questions here. The bolt and carrier are different. There's lots of reasons and not enough room to discuss here. It has nothing to do with the caliber. I like the .308 design a little more because it's more efficient.

The gas system is very much like that of the M-14. It works almost exactly like that of the M-14. The M-14 had a shutoff located on one side (I think it was for launching grenades). Instead of a shutoff, we have a gas valve with five settings (one is for a suppressor). Unfortunately we could not use the stock M-14 parts so we designed our own.

I am assuming that it is not like the 3 lug design of the -L. M-60ish 2 lug design maybe? (just the lug part, not the entire bolt) I'm just curious :ninja:

When you say "like" the M-14 gas system, does it have a seperate piston?

Guess we'll just have to wait until it hits the street to know for sure......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors