Bolt won't fully close.
Like Tree3Likes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt won't fully close.

Bolt won't fully close.

Sometimes the bolt will not fully close on my XCR-M. It stops 1/4 to 1/2" from the closed position. I have put about 200 rounds through it so it is broken in. I have done alot of reloading for my bolt gun but I am new to loading for the semi auto. I feel it is related to brass size beacuse it is difficult to open the bolt and eject the round after it stops short. It will do this 10% of the time. I am full length sizing my brass every time and seating to an OAL of 2.80". Any advice is apprciated.

Thanks

Re: Bolt won't fully close.

Have you tried any other factory loads? It looks like you are reloading your own? Does it happen progressively more as the round count went up?

You could try removing the barrel and using an empty yet to be primed brass and test fit using the bolt.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

I put a bit of surplus stuff throught it and I don't recall any issues with that. Everything else I have loaded myself. I do trim the brass as well and bump the shoulders back too. It does not show a pattern as far as being related to theround count. I have a round that got stuck 2 times, so maybe I will remove the bolt and just try dropping it into the chamber.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Be safe. Let us know how that one fits.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Wow, that answered that! (sort of). The surplus round dropped .2" deeper into the chamber than my hand load. The question is.....why. The AOL of both is the same. I tried to chamber that same hand load 2 times and the shoulder shows signs that it was contacting the throat of the chamber? The top half of the case also shows sings that it was very tight in the chamber. I have never had any issues with brass sizing in my bolt action.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bolt won't fully close.-dscf2759aaa.jpg   Bolt won't fully close.-dscf2759aaa.jpg  

One of the handloaders would have to speak to that and provide more help. But in my opinion I would have a gunsmith or someone measure the chamber.

Is your brass new?

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

No, it is not new brass.

Some of you reloading experts chime in here.

I am only guessing at this point but I would say the brass is oversized somewhat or it could be the chamber contributing as well. I do not know if bolt versus semi would matter when trying to use different .308 ammo, whether reloaded or not.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    Have you tried any other factory loads? It looks like you are reloading your own? Does it happen progressively more as the round count went up?

You could try removing the barrel and using an empty yet to be primed brass and test fit using the bolt.
    "Not a expert but have reloaded close or over 1k rounds for my .308 semi-auto." I reload for a CETME so I have a fluted chamber fyi.

Basic questions.

1. How many times has the brass been fired? I do 2 reloads per brass. Up to 5 never more. Expect to fully re-size case in semi's.

2. Are you fully measuring the rounds circumference and diameter?

3. Brand of dies/ how old/ how many rounds reloaded in the dies. "THIS SHOULD NOT MATTER UNLESS HAND-ME DOWNS". Looks for erosion inside the die.

4. Are you over/under lubing? Photo's kind of blurry. Half lubed cases can cause case stretch in the die and tearing.

Without measurements to me it looks like once too many times fired brass or a tight chamber. Like mentioned above I'd swing down to my local smithy and ask for a measure. He'll do it for free or for damn near. The problem could be a number of things. As I stated I'm barley cracking 1k reloads for the .308. That's like making it to pre school from diapers .

I reload .40, .45, .223, .308..Limited reloads on all but .223/.308 both around a 1k.

I'm sure the other guys can chime in with something better...

Arcwolf6

Ryan B.

I just spoke to a buddy at a local gun shop that loads for semi and bolt actions. His immediate response was that I need to be using small base dies for the semi auto. He did mention that if the chaber is tight, I can have it reamed out. I am not crazy about modifing the chamber after spending $2700 on the rifle. I have not had any luck locating small base dies in my area. The brass I was using may very well be fired too many times, I loaded some once fired DA military brass and had less trouble with it than some Federal that had been through the rigner a few times. I am currently using new Dillon dies (200-250 rounds loaded). I think the cases are getting fully lubed, however, I will pay closer attention to that. Hopefully I can find a small base resizing die soon and try that.

thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors