Optics help XCR-M - Page 4
Like Tree6Likes
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Optics help XCR-M

I have the Vortex Razor Gen 2 on my xcr-m and you will not be disappointed at all ! The eye relief is better than what they say its over 4-5 inches and with both eyes open its a dream to . Lol.. Yes its pricy at 1600.00 but you get what you pay for.I have shot. 12inch and 16 inch targets at 6 and 800 yrds with outstanding results . Next is 1000yds and see what It can do.

Quote Originally Posted by chevyxcr View Post
    I have the Vortex Razor Gen 2 on my xcr-m and you will not be disappointed at all ! The eye relief is better than what they say its over 4-5 inches and with both eyes open its a dream to . Lol.. Yes its pricy at 1600.00 but you get what you pay for.I have shot. 12inch and 16 inch targets at 6 and 800 yrds with outstanding results . Next is 1000yds and see what It can do.
    WOW holy wow, that sounds like my next optic. I bought the Vortex spotting scope... might as well double down and get the sights. Hard to believe 800 yds. I couldn't paint a barn at 50, ha ha.

Looking at scopes has proved more challenging than I thought. Ideally 500 dollars would be the upper limit of what I would pay, but it seems like the scopes that have the 'FORM FACTOR' that I need are way more expensive. There are scopes whose minimum magnification is 10X that cost under 300 dollars. Yet to get a 1 - 4 or 1 - 6 or 1 - 8 or 1 - 10 - you have to pay out your ass.

Given that this will most likely take months of research for the best bang for the buck. I am looking deeply at these:
    Vortex 1-6
    GRSC 1-6x
    Busnell elite tac 1-6
    SWFA SS 1-6x
    Leatherwood Hi-Lux CMR Rifle Scope 1 - 4
    Whatever else I have not found yet.

Leatherwood is $225 and this is my fav - good features for the price. It makes me think that a 1 - 10 should be priced at 800 to 1000 dollars.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Power does NOT determine price with good glass.....the glass quality and durability of the elevators within the scope is what determines price....along with a healthy mark up for name brands.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by flows0002 View Post
    Looking at scopes has proved more challenging than I thought. Ideally 500 dollars would be the upper limit of what I would pay, but it seems like the scopes that have the 'FORM FACTOR' that I need are way more expensive. There are scopes whose minimum magnification is 10X that cost under 300 dollars. Yet to get a 1 - 4 or 1 - 6 or 1 - 8 or 1 - 10 - you have to pay out your ass.

Given that this will most likely take months of research for the best bang for the buck. I am looking deeply at these:
    Vortex 1-6
    GRSC 1-6x
    Busnell elite tac 1-6
    SWFA SS 1-6x
    Leatherwood Hi-Lux CMR Rifle Scope 1 - 4
    Whatever else I have not found yet.

Leatherwood is $225 and this is my fav - good features for the price. It makes me think that a 1 - 10 should be priced at 800 to 1000 dollars.
    The CMR is decent, but it is heavy. On a 5.56 or 7.62x39, I would say the 4x is fine, but not on a .308. Quality of glass is like most optics that are made in China (that's where it is made). Not great, not terrible. Serviceable for a battle rifle.

BTW, Leatherwood just came out with a version specifically for the AK round.
    Last edited by fmunk; 05-31-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    The CMR is decent, but it is heavy. On a 5.56 or 7.62x39, I would say the 4x is fine, but not on a .308. Quality of glass is like most optics that are made in China (that's where it is made). Not great, not terrible. Serviceable for a battle rifle.

BTW, Leatherwood just came out with a version specifically for the AK round.
    Yep this is going on my 308 so I need durability and/or a good warranty. From what I have read the CMR is built tough and the military is even using a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Power does NOT determine price with good glass.....the glass quality and durability of the elevators within the scope is what determines price....along with a healthy mark up for name brands.
    Healthy markup for a name brand? Fuck that. I just want the specs. Specs are all that matter. Given that the leatherwoord CMR comes recommended by lots of ppl on different forum who are rather impressed at this scope at this price point. I dont think that something like a 1 - 8 should be so expensive.

1 of the many positive reviews( of which there are quite a few )

Well, having owned a CMR and now a GRSC, I can tell you the optical clarity is far superior on the latter. With optics, you do get what you pay. If you are willing to settle for what the hi-lux offers, then good for you.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

Quote Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
    Well, having owned a CMR and now a GRSC, I can tell you the optical clarity is far superior on the latter. With optics, you do get what you pay. If you are willing to settle for what the hi-lux offers, then good for you.
    sean k. was the first to mention the GRSC to me. I like this scope and nothing is definite yet, with regards to the choices above. I just feel that leatherwood has a good scope, with good features, good durability and good price. Given that it offers all of this at 250. The only thing the other scopes offer is magnification ( ok maybe clearer glass too ) but paying 500 to 1250 more for a scope that only offers 2 to 6 times more magnification doesn't sound logical.

No decision on my part has been made yet - maybe get the IOR Eliminator 1 - 10 dual focal plane?

Sig
    Quote Originally Posted by flows0002 View Post
    The only thing the other scopes offer is magnification ( ok maybe clearer glass too ) but paying 500 to 1250 more for a scope that only offers 2 to 6 times more magnification doesn't sound logical.
    Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

I have an old Tasco that SWFA use to sell as their own (does Tasco still make the SWFA brand?), fixed 10 w mil dot. Scope has been great for the $300 tag over 10 years ago I beleive. That said, it's built nothing like the Vortex I picked up. If you're looking for value in Glass, I'd at least ensure it's made in Japan (I believe that's how Vortex actually breaks down their scopes per price range, where they're manufactured at).

On a sidenote, currently there are over 90 brands of ductless mini splits being sold in the US. Not ONE single brand is made in the US. Japanese are the most expensive, but best built IMO with the most support in the US you'll find, followed by those made in Korea, the least expensive being made in China, which I wouldn't even install in a dog house due to the quality and support offered even though they're at least half the price of the Japanese models (a Japanese model was actually installed in a pretty well known singers doghouse here in NC lol).

Point being, it does seem the Japanese has their manufacturing process down for quality.
    Last edited by Sig; 06-01-2013 at 08:05 AM.
    If assholes could fly, this place would be JFK international.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

I have an old Tasco that SWFA use to sell as their own (does Tasco still make the SWFA brand?), fixed 10 w mil dot. Scope has been great for the $300 tag over 10 years ago I beleive. That said, it's built nothing like the Vortex I picked up. If you're looking for value in Glass, I'd at least ensure it's made in Japan (I believe that's how Vortex actually breaks down their scopes per price range, where they're manufactured at).

On a sidenote, currently there are over 90 brands of ductless mini splits being sold in the US. Not ONE single brand is made in the US. Japanese are the most expensive, but best built IMO with the most support in the US you'll find, followed by those made in Korea, the least expensive being made in China, which I wouldn't even install in a dog house due to the quality and support offered even though they're at least half the price of the Japanese models (a Japanese model was actually installed in a pretty well known singers doghouse here in NC lol).

Point being, it does seem the Japanese has their manufacturing process down for quality.
    Understood. It seems that Japanese glass is among the best. Ideally I would be able to find a 1 - 6 or 1 -8 coming in at under 1000. SWFA SS and CRS seem to be around that price range.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Sponsors