Mini vs Standard - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini vs Standard

It's not that Merlin, it's that I'm both stubborn and unwilling to just take 'common knowlege' as authoritative.
    So I make a lot of mistakes and reinvent a lot of wheels. But I do learn from each and every experiment! HA!
    Even more than that, I've learned that what's right for me isn't right for everyone else. There are general rules of thumb, but always exceptions.
    Sometimes I come to the same conclusion that people 'in the know' had told me long ago. But when someone says "it just is, trust me", I can't do it. I've got to know WHY.
    I'd consider it a character fault on the whole.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

As long as we learn from our experience and impart that to others that can choose to use or not but questioning is all a part of the learning process.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

There is nothing magical about 18". The Brits uses 16" for their latest .308 AR purchases.

The thing with FALs and M14s, why 18" is the magical number is because that is the shortest you can go for reliable cycling without modifying the gas system.

I would go 16" if you plan to shoot 800 yards or less, because that is the shortest you can legally go without a tax stamp.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for all you guys insight. I think I'm going to stay with the 16". I don't plan on going any greater than 500 yds.
    Most of the time will be 300 or less. And like was previously stated, I could always switch later. I figure that's what I originally wanted, so ill just stick with it.
    Thanks again for all input. And feel free to add anymore.

Between 16" and 20" you will lose about 100 fps at the muzzle for M80 type ammo (147gr pills). It's really nothing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by fireman5980 View Post
    Thanks for all you guys insight. I think I'm going to stay with the 16". I don't plan on going any greater than 500 yds.
    Most of the time will be 300 or less. And like was previously stated, I could always switch later. I figure that's what I originally wanted, so ill just stick with it.
    Thanks again for all input. And feel free to add anymore.
    Fireman5980,

Any updates? I assume you went with the 16". Did you go with the -m mini or standard. I would be interested to know as we'll how they balance out between the two. I am leaning towards the -m mini, but do not want to leave myself without options other than an SBR and being limited to shorter rather than a longer barrel accessory later. If anything I would want to add an 18 or maybe even a 20" barrel later on. From what I understand 16" is the max on the mini -m.

Also, did you get the light or heavy barrel and thoughts.

FWIW I do not plan on doing and CQB or 1000 meter shots. Mostly paper, range, hunting, etc. Also, for reference I am 5'8" so not the biggest and baddest Rambo type dude!!

Thanks and I welcome any and all comments!!
    Last edited by Justjeepn; 12-04-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Is that correct? That the 16 inch barrel is the max on the mini M?

I would have to go back and check, but last I saw on their website specs was up to 16". Unless the website is not updated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsors