Great first few outings!!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mighty Horse

Thread: Great first few outings!!

Great first few outings!!

200 rounds of pmc and assorted other crap and no failures! Trigger feel is smoothing out alot as well as the rest of the gun. Major noticeable difference when racking the since new! I swear it seams like my groups tighten up as the barrel gets hot, actually I just think the whole thing is working better and better with break in. I've never had a rifle make this much noticeable improvement over break in. Not that it was bad from the start.

Out of the box the rifle looks great, no tool marks anywhere, and black finish is very uniform. Fast stock looks great and seems rugged as hell. A little play where it extends but not much at all. Folding and unfolding is a two handed affair, not the way the video shows guys working it with there thumb. Locking folded or open is very positive, no play in the least.Not sure if it will break in over time or not as I won't be using it much. As a side note I also bought another fast stock from K for my pistol at the same time and it performs the same, might be even a little harder to operate. Rubber padding seems rugged, slightly disappointed with the plastic cheek rest just becouse it dosent match the ruggedness the rest of the package gives off. Both extend easily and smooth with solid lock up.

Safety is very positive click click, but the ambi does rub pretty noticeably on my hand. I think this may be an issue for long sessions with no gloves. Might need to work on my grip as well.

Bolt release play seems slightly excessive but is normal and the same as my L. Minamal pressure needed to manually lock the bolt back (again seems like a very positive lock up) and just the right amount to realease it. It just feels right, not to much not to little.

Mag release is very smooth with a fair amount if resistance, again just feels right.

Firing pin is massive on this thing and if paired up could be used as chop sticks.

Bolt has a few odd machine marks on it that I'm not sure isent intentional around the stud that sticks up on it. Bolt rides very smith in carrier. Was suprised that the M uses a totally different buffer set up then the L. For those that don't know the M's buffer rides on the bolt carrier as opposed to the L's in place on the lower receiver.

Guide rod looks real good! Keeping an eye out for cracks near the carrier.

Barrel looks great inside! Smooth no shavings when I pulled it apart out of the box. Chamber seems to be polished. Came out and went back into place easily without drama and seems to be holding zero. Have had it out 3 times.

Gass system seems rugged, port sizes seem to line up properly. Had trouble with the plug at the end loosening up during the first outing. Beared down on it while cleaning and it seems tight still after second outing.
    Runs on gas setting three, any less and it won't cycle so far. Keep in mind I'm running crap ammo. Recoil seems real manageable though I can't do any double taps with it. Can anybody? Would be awsome if I you can with gas all the way down or somthing. Though I can fire pretty rapidly and stay on target fairly well. I'm a novice though so it is what it is.

So anywho I REALLY like this gun guys. But I'm gonA say somthing and probably get rocks thrown at me! It's not as smooth as my FNAR. That's all, don't know how else to say it, my FN is like butter. Now that aside the XCR destroys the FN in all other catagories! Maybe not distance shots but everything else. I can finally say I get it, What makes a rifle a battle rifle verses somthing like the FN. There is zero doubt in my mind which one I would grab to go fight with in a bad situation. I've asked the question for a long time, "what makes a rifle a battle rifle" and after handling and shooting both guns side by side I finally got it.

Anyway I'm might be rambling at this point as I just washed down some more pain meds for my back with a beer, so thank you XCR forum for turning me on to this platform
    Merlin and TexasChris like this.

Try some decent ammo and you might be surprised at the difference, I personally only use American Eagle, never had a issue of any kind.

By smooth do you mean less recoil? If so, a good brake would probably make a huge difference.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Not so much less, just different, more of a shove. Also the fn weighs a lot more. It's still real early in the game though, I wanna try some better ammo with gas turned down after more break in.

I honestly have no experience with muzzle brakes but am interested to learn. Is it as simple as just screwing one off and another on? There's really that noticeable difference? What one would you all recommend?

Guys don't miss understand me! This gun is awesome! And is getting better and better as I get used to it.

Yep...as easy as screwing the factory FH off and putting a new one on....assuming you don't live somewhere that required it to be pinned.

You should be able to do double taps with no issue with a good brake....but from what I've found, if it works well as a brake, it doesn't work that well to reduce flash. There's no free lunch.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Do you have any specific models/makes in mind I can research?

I can't remember the one I put on my XCR-M. PRI I think. The one on my POF 308 works really well (POF brand).

The M comes with a brake unless you received it with some other muzzle device, but I couldn't attest to its efficacy because I swapped it immediately. I use an AAC Brakeout and shoot faster and tighter hammer pairs than I do with my 5.56mm AR that doesn't have a muzzle brake. Would probably be even better with the straight AAC brake rather than the hybrid. There is a little more to installing a muzzle brake than simply screwing it on; you need to align the ports properly, but also get the correct amount of torque using a torque wrench. In order to do both at the same time, you need to use shims or a crush washer.

As far as the gas setting goes, there's nothing wrong with your rifle if it doesn't like to cycle below 3; I believe anything lower is for suppressors anyways. You might get it to cycle reliably on 2 with hot loads, but at that point you really aren't reducing the recoil any.

People are absolutely correct that a muzzle brake will do nothing for your blast and flash. For a .308 carbine with a 16" barrel (meaning the blast and flash is already quite present), putting a muzzle brake on there makes it brutal to sit next to on the line. That combined with the M's tendency to throw brass 20 feet make it an unpopular neighbor on the range.

What do you mean by port alignment? I'm assuming you just mean lined up on the barrel properly. Also I'm surprised that torque comes into play, is there other reasons other then just staying on?

Hoping it will run on a lower setting after more break in. I think it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Horse View Post
    What do you mean by port alignment? I'm assuming you just mean lined up on the barrel properly. Also I'm surprised that torque comes into play, is there other reasons other then just staying on?

Hoping it will run on a lower setting after more break in. I think it will.
    J. some brakes have to have the ports aligned in a certain direction so the gases assist in keeping down muzzle rise etc.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Sponsors