DSA FAL vs ... ? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: DSA FAL vs ... ?

Re: DSA FAL vs ... ?

Ad says it is built with original FN made parts and assembled with a new U.S. receiver and barrel. Comes with 2-20 round metric pattern mags. 21" bbl. ???
    "No one knows what it's like to be the badman..."-The Who

Quote Originally Posted by badman400 View Post
    Ad says it is built with original FN made parts and assembled with a new U.S. receiver and barrel. Comes with 2-20 round metric pattern mags. 21" bbl. ???
    Most likely "FN License" parts. There are a lot of nice FAL part kits out there from real Military Arms Factories, such as Steyr and Imbel, nothing wrong with these kits. Even better if they are new. 3 years ago you could get a complete FAL parts kit for as low as $150, these kits have everything to build an FAL except receiver... those days are long gone though.

If it is built from an L1A1 then it is an inch FAL, so therefore it could even be Pakistani or Indian L1A1 kits. I am thinking it is not Australian or British. If it is an inch kit then it should use inch mags, but since it uses metric mags the receiver was probably modified to take metric mags. My guess the reason for this is there are a lot of inch kits out there so they built the Receiver to work with L1A1 inch kits, but yet still be compatible with metric mags because metric mags out number inch mags like 100-1.

American Barrels in general are not as nice as the barrels from say Steyr or Imbel. Steyr barrels are considered tops, very accurate and chrome lined. American FAL barrels are usually not chrome lined.

By law since 1989, the Receivers (which is considered he gun) of semi auto guns have to be made in the USA. American FAL receivers are either Century, Hesse, Enterprise or DSA. DSA is considered to be tops. Enterprises are considered almost garbage, and Century and Hesse are considered complete garbage.

Thanks for the quick response and info!
    "No one knows what it's like to be the badman..."-The Who

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

My DSAs (1 each SA58 standard and STG58C) are from the 2004 -2006 timeframe. The only thing I had to do was polish ("file" is much too strong a word for what I did) the underside inner edges of the rails in the receiver. This is essentially a rapid accelleration of the break in process and leads to much smoother feeding, especially in a new rifle. I don't know why DSA and/or other receiver manufacturers don't do this at the factory... they should. But they don't, so you should spend five minutes doing it on your new rifle.

My opinion is that if you want the highest chance of a solid rifle that works and has top quality components out of the box, the DSA factory rifle is the best bet. In fact I prefer DSA's all US made components on the SA58 to those of the Austrian milsurp kit on the STG (which is a "factory kit rifle", if you will). DSA factory rifle will cost more than a true kit build however. If you know what you are looking for you can do a quality build for less money.

Regarding the barrels specifically (with respect to Cartmann's opinion):

The SA58 US made barrel is not chrome lined, and is .308 spec. .308 spec calls for a very slightly tighter headspace I believe, and these are also not chrome lined at all. .308 also supports (on paper at least) a higher peak pressure than 7.62x51 spec.

The surplus Austrian barrel on my STG58C is: military x51 spec (looser headspace, lower peak pressure, chrome lined chamber only... not barrel). I have fired some commercial .308 in this rifle without incident, but not much.

Overall, I prefer the US made barrel here. It should put less wear and tear on the brass (via less streching as a result of the tighter chamber), and at least with my examples, is noticeably more accurate than the milspec barrel. Theoretically I guess the milspec chamber should be a little more reliable in adverse/dirty condition, but we are talking about a relatively big round here anyway, the SA58 isn't notably tight in any condition I've seen, and I just suspect you'd have to get a whole lot of rounds down range to notice any sort of reliability difference.

May be a moot point anyway since I assume they will need to start putting US made barrels on the STG's soon to comply with the barrel ban from a while back.

Both barrels in my FALs are USA non-chrome lined barrels.

It is nice having chrome lining, but I think it is way overrated sometimes. It is more for corrosion resistance than longevity, but I clean my weapons fairly regularly and I live in the desert so rust is not really a big issue even if I don't. I also have yet to out shoot a barrel that was not chrome lined. Still though, it is better to have it then not to have it.

tk

You guys actually CLEAN your FALs?

I thought part of the mystique was not ever having to clean them <g>

tk
    The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." Judge Alex Kozinski, 9th District

Quote Originally Posted by tk View Post
    You guys actually CLEAN your FALs?

I thought part of the mystique was not ever having to clean them <g>

tk
    haha true true

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Sponsors