The Legend of "Ole Dirty" and FAL story (15,000 rounds without a clean)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of "Ole Dirty" and FAL story (15,000 rounds without a clean)

The Legend of "Ole Dirty" and FAL story (15,000 rounds without a clean)

This is the tale of Ole Dirty the Texas Legend. Contents of this post was taken from the FALfiles Forum. This rifle has gone 15,000 rounds without a clean, oiling only.

__________________________________________________ __________

James decided that he would conduct a duration experiment just to see how long a standard post ban FAL rifle could go without a cleaning of any kind. The rifle started life as a nice StG 58 kit built on an Imbel receiver with a DSA fake long Belgian flash hider and a spray can camo finish. Since I have known James, the rifle has always been very reliable and accurate and really one of his favorite firearms.

The experiment started as a challange to see if a FAL could withstand continued abuse and filthiness that a less robust rifle could only dream of. Ol' Dirty has had over 15,000 rounds of various surplus ammo fired through it without a cleaning. The chamber area has an incredibly nasty build-up of carbon (it actually now has an almost solid carbon feed ramp). The gas plug is pretty much frozen up from carbon fouling and I don't think the piston has been seen for some time now. The rifle still cycles perfectly and the accuracy is as good as ever. I have shot my rifles against this rifle many times and it is tough if not impossible to beat. Accurate shot placement out to 400 and 500 yards is common for James and Ol' Dirty.

It just goes to prove what the FAL can accomplish under the most extremely filthy conditions.

Update: I have been informed that this was never intended to be an experiment but that James just doesn't like to clean his rifles.

20 days into the test James finally decided to give Ol' Dirty a bath. A quick dunk into the nearest mud puddle should do the trick.

Soak cycle.

Drip Dry

Blowing out the water, minnows and crud. Ol' Dirty is good for another 3000 rounds (and ofcourse as we later found out, much much more)

At about the 9000 round count

Lube on all the wear surfaces. 10,880 rds so far. Last 5-600 rounds there has been about 5 jams where the case did not extract all the way and was caught by the bolt closing. Also one where the case was stuck in the chamber and it ripped the rim off. Never had the problem of the case sticking and only when it was dry did the case not make it out. I've been trying not to do anything to it but if this keeps up I'll have to start looking for the cause. Here's a picture of the bolt and carrier.James

It can only get so dirty and then it cleans it self, if you know what I mean. Sometimes it looks dirtier than other times. As I lube and shoot it crap falls off and then get added back on. If you have a chrome bore on your AK I don't think you have to worry about shooting the bore out on it. James

Handguard exhaust at 13,000+ rounds

Bolt at 13,000 + rounds

OK here is my latest grouping done today 1-6-2008. It was very windy today and the sun was making my rear sight a little hazy so between that and the wind I'm surprised I got this. I did a little sighting in first and when I thought it was about right I covered all the holes and put on a 3" dot.

I don't know what happened on the first shot that is way high but the next four ended up pretty good. Back in November of 2003 Tex shot a 2" group with Ol' Dirty at the Turkey Day shoot at Gibsons. That was about 9000 rounds ago so I guess the barrel hasn't really changed. If I had the sun to my back and the wind wasn't blowing so hard I might could have done a little better.

With the cost of ammo what it is nowdays I don't think I will be shooting 9000 rounds during the next four years so it might be awhile till I get the total up a significant amount.

James

Almost 15,000 rounds

Notice the rusted hole in gas tube, but yet she still shoots

Re: The Legend of "Ole Dirty" and FAL story (15,000 rounds without a clean)

Great story. I absolutely love my FAL. Just add a PWS compensator and she purrs like a kitten.
    "Imagine a world in which we are all enlightened by objective truths rather than offended by them" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thats crazy!....Hopefully his next update won't be pics of him laid out on a stretcher with half his face blown off.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

So is he going forever or looking for a certain round count? Not sure I would want to go much more looking at those last pics, at least for safety's sake.
    Don't confuse enthusiasm for competence

Want more grip for your M&P Pistol? Send me a message.

Quote Originally Posted by aziator View Post
    So is he going forever or looking for a certain round count? Not sure I would want to go much more looking at those last pics, at least for safety's sake.
    Imbel FAL receivers are "rated" to 80k rounds, so most likely it could probably go much more than that. At 15k rounds the rifle is still laughing. But James the owner does admit it is probably near the end of it's life. No kaboom, but it will eventually stop working.

As one of my favorite xcr poser once said, "we must learn from history" hahahhaahha

THIS IS WHY THE FAL IS THE GREATEST RIFLE OF ALL TIME!

Disclaimer: I don't have a dog in this fight, I own AR15's, AR10's, AK's, XCR, M14's (type), G3 (type), FAL's, Nagants, Garands, Mausers, so I really have no benifits by claiming the FAL as THE GREATEST RIFLE OF ALL TIME other than to piss some people off. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by EricCartmann View Post
    I really have no benifits by claiming the FAL as THE GREATEST RIFLE OF ALL TIME other than to piss some people off. ;D
    I wonder who that may be??? :duh:

I personally have never owned a FAL. I may someday, just haven't found a role for it to fill yet.

DSM

that gas tube will be the first to go, thinner metal. It'll blow apart under the handguards and wedge everything up, hopefully not in the shooter's face.
    When have any of our plans ever actually worked? We plan, we get there, all hell breaks loose.

Yeah, the rust is what would worry me. Eventually it wont take the pressures and come apart. Fortunately most people that stake their lives to their rifles clean them and I doubt you would ever see one in this state on the battlefield. Guess it is good to know that it can go that far.

I don't know that I would even keep that thing in my gunsafe for fear something will fall off it and get everything dirty

I wonder who that may be??? :duh:

I personally have never owned a FAL. I may someday, just haven't found a role for it to fill yet.
    ;D I was not talking about you. Just FAL haters in general. Who says you need a role for your guns? Or you plan on making a movie? I have not found a role for my Nagant or M95 either, but that did not stop me from buying them

Yeah, the rust is what would worry me. Eventually it wont take the pressures and come apart. Fortunately most people that stake their lives to their rifles clean them and I doubt you would ever see one in this state on the battlefield. Guess it is good to know that it can go that far.

I don't know that I would even keep that thing in my gunsafe for fear something will fall off it and get everything dirty
    would worry me too and i would not put it in my safe either. i'll post something on the FAL forums about the dangers of continuing and see what kind of response i get.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsors