Anyone running a M with the mini length handguard and new style tucked gas system?
Like Tree4Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Anyone running a M with the mini length handguard and new style tucked gas system?

  1. #1
    Newbie richiemfmead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    7

    Anyone running a M with the mini length handguard and new style tucked gas system?

    Ill be picking up a M pistol with tailhook brace and mini length handguard with tucked new style gas system and wanted to ask a few questions to anyone that has one.
    1.) Hows the accuracy from the short barrel
    2.) How is it suppressed?
    3.) Am I right in the assumption I can swap a 14.5in pinned and welded flash hider then a stock straight on it and it'll work fine? For those of you that have done the conversion whats the cost? Is it available in 6.5 creedmore?
    4.) Whats your thoughts overall? Reliability? Pictures please if you have the exact setup Ill be getting.

  2. #2
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,823
    Quote Originally Posted by richiemfmead View Post
    Ill be picking up a M pistol with tailhook brace and mini length handguard with tucked new style gas system and wanted to ask a few questions to anyone that has one.
    1.) Hows the accuracy from the short barrel
    2.) How is it suppressed?
    3.) Am I right in the assumption I can swap a 14.5in pinned and welded flash hider then a stock straight on it and it'll work fine? For those of you that have done the conversion whats the cost? Is it available in 6.5 creedmore?
    4.) Whats your thoughts overall? Reliability? Pictures please if you have the exact setup Ill be getting.
    ***EDIT*** The below is WRONG. See navalbeaver's post #7 for ATF link ****
    If you put a stock on it (as per #3) you've made a rifle and can no longer go back to the tailhook/pistol configuration by law. JFYI.....


    I miss the strike feature.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 01-30-2018 at 08:08 PM.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  3. #3
    XCR Guru navalbeaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    If you put a stock on it (as per #3) you've made a rifle and can no longer go back to the tailhook/pistol configuration by law. JFYI.....
    Sean, I though it was "started as a pistol", that you could go back and forth. It's the "started as a rifle" that can't be converted to a pistol. Several kits (RA included) from manufacturers that have a pistol setup with a longer barrel and stock.

    With that said. This crap changes and I'm not a lawyer.

    I'm going to say accuracy is a crap shoot at this point. Without shooting the barrel with decent ammo, of guess 1-1.5 moa. I'd have more XCRs of they were consistently under 1 moa. You may get lucky and get a "good" one or figure out what your rifle likes.

    Haven't heard/seen anyone suppress the M with the type 3. If it's comparable to the type 3 on the L, it should be good. But, while different platform/caliber.

    Barrels are $600 retail from RA.

    Creedmoor is an option.

    Solid platform with tons of options. My only dings are show to get parts and they aren't as accurate as my ARs.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,823
    Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Sean, I though it was "started as a pistol", that you could go back and forth. It's the "started as a rifle" that can't be converted to a pistol. Several kits (RA included) from manufacturers that have a pistol setup with a longer barrel and stock.

    With that said. This crap changes and I'm not a lawyer.

    I'm going to say accuracy is a crap shoot at this point. Without shooting the barrel with decent ammo, of guess 1-1.5 moa. I'd have more XCRs of they were consistently under 1 moa. You may get lucky and get a "good" one or figure out what your rifle likes.

    Haven't heard/seen anyone suppress the M with the type 3. If it's comparable to the type 3 on the L, it should be good. But, while different platform/caliber.



    Barrels are $600 retail from RA.

    Creedmoor is an option.

    Solid platform with tons of options. My only dings are show to get parts and they aren't as accurate as my ARs.

    Once a pistol becomes a rifle, it cannot go back to a pistol. The only exemption (to my knowledge) to this is the Thompson Contender series.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  6. #5
    XCR Guru Merlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,840
    It's been awhile but I think Sean is correct about pistol->rifle cannot do pistol<-rifle.

    "Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

  7. #6
    Sig
    Sig is offline
    XCR Guru Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,339
    +3

    But correct me if I wrong, if it's a registered SBR, you can put any legnth barrel you want on it.

    The issue is you can't use common sense here.
    If assholes could fly, this place would be JFK international.

  8. #7
    XCR Guru navalbeaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Posts
    2,411
    Last edited by navalbeaver; 01-30-2018 at 04:55 PM.
    Merlin likes this.

  9. #8
    XCR Guru Sean K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    21,823
    Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Well shit...I stand corrected. Thanks for the correction Nate! Kind of cool that's the case now as I was concerned if I ever wanted to try a longer bbl on the pistol build I have going with you that if I put a real stock on it, I couldn't go back to the pistol config. This brings up some pretty nasty gray areas though.....1) constructive possession can't be proven now at all if one owns a pistol and rifle version of anything 2) seems the smart gun buyer buys every firearm possible as a pistol.....provided it's a QD type bbl assembly, one can really configure to SBR type lengths or DMR/Rifle lengths at will.
    Merlin likes this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

  10. #9
    XCR Guru navalbeaver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Well shit...I stand corrected. Thanks for the correction Nate! Kind of cool that's the case now as I was concerned if I ever wanted to try a longer bbl on the pistol build I have going with you that if I put a real stock on it, I couldn't go back to the pistol config. This brings up some pretty nasty gray areas though.....1) constructive possession can't be proven now at all if one owns a pistol and rifle version of anything 2) seems the smart gun buyer buys every firearm possible as a pistol.....provided it's a QD type bbl assembly, one can really configure to SBR type lengths or DMR/Rifle lengths at will.
    Like so many other gun rules/laws/opinions, as Sig said, it doesn't involve common sense.

    I always recommend that my customers build their virgin lowers into pistols first.... always build a pistol first.... pistol first.

    I've started doing like you mentioned. With the braces becoming more functional (have you seen the latest collapsible A3 brace from SB?) I've picked up a few "pistols" that I can do whatever I want with(no NFA).
    Merlin likes this.

  11. #10
    Newbie richiemfmead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Well shit...I stand corrected. Thanks for the correction Nate! Kind of cool that's the case now as I was concerned if I ever wanted to try a longer bbl on the pistol build I have going with you that if I put a real stock on it, I couldn't go back to the pistol config. This brings up some pretty nasty gray areas though.....1) constructive possession can't be proven now at all if one owns a pistol and rifle version of anything 2) seems the smart gun buyer buys every firearm possible as a pistol.....provided it's a QD type bbl assembly, one can really configure to SBR type lengths or DMR/Rifle lengths at will.
    This is exactly my plan. 9.5in 308 pistol with gearhead work tailhook brace (eventually mod 3 which is telescopic mp5 style) then 18in or 20in 6.5 creed (or might just leave it 308, havn't decided that part yet) and prs style stock for long range. My pistol with also have the new prototype DMR 2 stage trigger that RA just released (or will be releasing shortly). If I do my part, with all the latest advancements, can I expect a sub moa gun (in the dmr 18in configuration)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Mid length gas system for 16" 1/7 barrel
    By wyominglarry in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2012, 07:56 PM
  2. Gas system length
    By bigern in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-20-2012, 09:29 PM
  3. XCR micro gas system length?
    By XCR_89 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-26-2011, 12:17 AM
  4. Mini gas tube length?
    By the tick in forum Problems
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 08:20 PM
  5. Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 07:15 PM