XCR-M Accuracy - Page 3
Like Tree3Likes
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: XCR-M Accuracy

ntm

Re: XCR-M Accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by popups View Post
    Sounds like the way the barrel mounts is the problem if it isn't the quality of the barrel. It would make sense. The heat could be expanding the barrel pocket of the upper. Since there is only one bolt and its on the bottom, the barrel could be moving around slightly, which shifts impact. That could explain why, from what I heard, you should shoot a few rounds to heat the barrel, then tighten it.

If that is the case the XCR would, more than likely, need to be redesigned. Which I have said many times before.

There is a good reason why other barrel extensions, on rifles with quick detaching barrels, use more than one bolt for retention.

I do not know if Robinson Arms has a dedicated tester for their rifles. Hopefully they do, if not, they should give some rifles to some professional trainers to test in their courses and give feedback. The other competitor's rifles get thoroughly tested.

Nope, I played around with the barrel mounting quite a bit, going as far as to try it as a full "glue" in, with and without the barrel retaining bolt's pressure, and different degrees of pressure. That had negligible results, and so was returned to the stock configuration.
    The m's retaining bolt is indeed a poor design though...feeding a bunch of pressure directly into the bottom of the chamber isn't going to be good for accuracy on any rifle. That bolt is also the only true path for recoil energy from the barrel.
    My Lmt mws also uses only one bolt that's physically in contact with the barrel as well, but it runs crosswise as more of a recoil lug and the whole reciever "clamps" onto the barrel extension. The Lmt barrel extension/chamber is also at least three times more heavily built than the xcr-m's.

Quote Originally Posted by ntm View Post
    Occasionally.
    Groups were very inconsistent. It'd string badly as it warmed up. All of the m's we have up here are doing it. Strangely it seems to be related more to the temp of the chassis than the barrel.
    I sold mine and purchased an Lmt mws, which outshoots the xcr-m's best groups all day, every day.

The m is still a valid option up here due to it's non-restricted status, but down in the states with no limitations on 308 ar's like the obr, repr, mws, dpms's, and sr25's, you'd have to be a little crazy to choose the xcr-m over them.
    It was at it's best with an aimpoint or eotech and short range blasting, long range accuracy was not it's thing.
    Can our brothers to the north post some pics of your groups?, with ammo, distance, weather info, please.

ntm

Quote Originally Posted by XCR_Texas View Post

Can our brothers to the north post some pics of your groups?, with ammo, distance, weather info, please.
    100 yards, xcr-m.
    -10 degrees celsius, no wind, rifle at ambient temp.
    168gr gmm, 175 gmm, remington 175gr smk match, one group of steel cased surplus.
    Five seconds per round, one minute between groups.
    The rifle shot considerably better when you pulled it from a warm truck and began shooting immediately. Not consistantly better, but it'd occasionaly throw a group out that'd be moa or better. That tended to be the exception rather than the rule though.
    Most pics of groups at 100 I've seen from other xcr-m owners are similar. High left to low right stringing, exaggerated by lower ambient temps. It's still there even at +20 degrees c though, just not as pronounced.

For comparison, this is the lmt mws with 168 gr gmm at 300 yards, in the same temps with a whole lot more wind (5-15mph full value).

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

^ That looks fairly lousy to me!

Quote Originally Posted by astroman View Post
    ^ That looks fairly lousy to me!
    Yes it does. This is bumming me out man.

Thank you very much for posting all that info.
    Doing a little thinking on it now.

Rob

Yup, this is a real deal breaker for me. Hopefully they'll figure out what's going on and fix this. Glad not to be an early adopter right now.

ntm

To be fair guys, it did shoot better in warmer weather.
    Our xcr-l's are the same way, not terribly accurate, especially in colder weather.

If you care to sign up for the cgn forum, there's an excellent review there, with many pictures of groups, from a fellow (not me !) that purchased a 7.62x39 xcr-l, a 5.56 xcr-l, and an xcr-m all at the same time and his experiences with them.
    Here's the link, but you do need to sign up.
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...ighlight=xcr-m

Our xcr-l's are the same way, not terribly accurate, especially in colder weather.

If you care to sign up for the cgn forum, there's an excellent review there, with many pictures of groups, from a fellow (not me !) that purchased a 7.62x39 xcr-l, a 5.56 xcr-l, and an xcr-m all at the same time and his experiences with them.
    Thanks will do here.
    What optic & magnifcation were you using?
    My XCR-L is giving me better results. I.E. All my rounds will be in the black on those shoot n see's at 100. Using federal 55 fmj, 60 grn. Hornady TAP, or 62 green tip.
    I'll get the occasional flyer with 55/62's but not with the TAP or anything I load. Just FYI
    ETA; Im using a Leupold MRT on mine. Mil dot. M4 knobs.

Are these shots fired using a vice? If not, I'd like to see how the rifle fairs taking the human element out.

Ok I have gone on and registered and looked at the thread.
    One thing I see already that makes me think the "M" is capable of better groups is the shooters shooting position.
    Not trying to bag on you or anyone else, (I do appreciate all your help & pictures of your group & all) but shooting unsupported is not the best indicator of the guns potential.
    I prefer prone shooting as the guy in the linked thread is doing too. But for group testing I shoot off of a pack, a bi-pod, or even a sandbag.
    He has an okay group in his picture of the his "M" groups but he is shooting prone unsupported off of his fist. This tells me the gun can do better,
    things might not be as bleak as we at first thought.
    What shooting positon & rest were you using when you shot your groups that you posted?
    Thanks.

ETA; I read the post & he says he attached his harris bi pod, but pictures show him shooting off a block of wood supported by his fist. So not sure whats going on.
    Good posts though by "Brobee", very informative & very cool how he made his own reactive steel.
    Mr_otto likes this.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sponsors