XCR Carbon Fiber Charging Handle - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XCR Carbon Fiber Charging Handle

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Swift View Post
    No mold. A mold would have been a weaker way of doing it and would not have provided the look and strength I was after.
    Kickass...lets see some demo vids!~
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    That's pretty neat. How will it take getting banged around?
    Since it is solid carbon the piece is extremely strong. As a matter of fact to cut into this stuff takes some pretty heavy duty machinery along with some VERY sharp implements(bits, blades and the like). Also compared to the factory piece which is plastic it is considerably more resilient to heat. So in short I would say overall the carbon is far more durable than the plastic used by Robinson Armament.
    Last edited by Slow Swift; 08-12-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Made this one last night. It works just like the factory handle with functioning forward assist. If anyone has any recommendations as far as what would be cool design for my next one, let me know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I'd love a step by step on how you're manufacturing the little boogers.
    Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. ----- Have gun. Will travel.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
    Kickass...lets see some demo vids!~
    I've never uploaded a video but if I can do it, what would you like to see?

The whole process. There's a small CF movement happening on youtube. Lots of people interested in garage manufacturing. Myself included.

I'd love to see how you started from sheets of carbon fiber, all the way to finished product. If you have a good camera shoot highest quality possible and don't compress before uploading to youtube....I've been able to upload avchd (sony HD) straight to youtube and it is THE way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
    The whole process. There's a small CF movement happening on youtube. Lots of people interested in garage manufacturing. Myself included.

I'd love to see how you started from sheets of carbon fiber, all the way to finished product. If you have a good camera shoot highest quality possible and don't compress before uploading to youtube....I've been able to upload avchd (sony HD) straight to youtube and it is THE way to go.
    All I have is my phone. Beyond that I won't be going through the whole process anytime soon. I may be able to put something together, it will just take me some time because making these things is not a quick process. To make the ergonomic handle with the curved contour took about 20 hours total, from solid carbon block to finished product. BTW do you by chance live anywhere near Houston?

I really like this one. I wouldn't mind getting a few of those if they weren't too terribly expensive.

Is the 20 hours one at a time, or is it a batched process?

Made this one last night. It works just like the factory handle with functioning forward assist. If anyone has any recommendations as far as what would be cool design for my next one, let me know.

Last edited by Underground; 08-13-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

Quote Originally Posted by Underground View Post
    I really like this one. I wouldn't mind getting a few of those if they weren't too terribly expensive.

Is the 20 hours one at a time, or is it a batched process?
    The 20 hours was for a single handle but it was the curved ergonomic design that you see in the picture below.

The handle that you referenced(which more closely resembles the factory handle) is not quite as labor intensive but still takes a good amount of work to produce. I can get with my team and see what they think about knocking a few of these out for you and get back to you. I would need to know how many you are after though before getting into cost.

All I have is my phone. Beyond that I won't be going through the whole process anytime soon. I may be able to put something together, it will just take me some time because making these things is not a quick process. To make the ergonomic handle with the curved contour took about 20 hours total, from solid carbon block to finished product. BTW do you by chance live anywhere near Houston?
    Houston isn't too far away from me, and I travel frequently. PM me with what you're pondering on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsors