'quicker' front takedown pin?
Like Tree6Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'quicker' front takedown pin?

'quicker' front takedown pin?

Hey all
    I remove my upper for transportation quite often and the front takedown pin with the cotter-pin retainer is a PITA. Does anyone make a faster solution?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie_N View Post
    Hey all
    I remove my upper for transportation quite often and the front takedown pin with the cotter-pin retainer is a PITA. Does anyone make a faster solution?

Thanks
    Not that I'm aware of.....

Ya, the AR design is much better in that regard.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Do you have a flush front pin? The early versions were flush and harder to push out. Updated pins protruded more.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Do you have a flush front pin? The early versions were flush and harder to push out. Updated pins protruded more.
    It's not quite flush, no. It's easy to push out once the cotter-pin is pulled out. So I suppose the next logical question would be if that cotter pin is necessary at all? AR15s don't use them...

Pin is necessary. There's nothing else holding the pin in. It doesnt have the spring/detent setup the ar does.
    Sean K. likes this.

Real quick thought, (others will chime in if I am wrong), but I have never removed that cotter pin. I just push the takedown pin from the left side, to the right, untill it protrudes a little bit, and then continue to pull it from the right side until the upper is free. just like an AR. the mechanism that keeps the tension, and stops it from coming all the way out is different, in the respect that it is a simple cotter pin rather than a detent and spring, but the effect should be the same.
    Merlin likes this.
    hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and make hay while the sun shines!

Quote Originally Posted by Carpenter View Post
    Real quick thought, (others will chime in if I am wrong), but I have never removed that cotter pin. I just push the takedown pin from the left side, to the right, untill it protrudes a little bit, and then continue to pull it from the right side until the upper is free. just like an AR. the mechanism that keeps the tension, and stops it from coming all the way out is different, in the respect that it is a simple cotter pin rather than a detent and spring, but the effect should be the same.
    True. I do the same.
    Merlin likes this.

You guys are absolutely right... I don't have to remove the cotter pin at all. That was silly! Glad I posted. Cheers
    Merlin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie_N View Post
    You guys are absolutely right... I don't have to remove the cotter pin at all. That was silly! Glad I posted. Cheers
    Wait, you were removing the cotter pin every time you took the upper off? I missed that completely. Absolutely zero reason to do that. As Carp said, it's just like an AR....except most of mine seem to seat a lot tighter than my ARs and is harder to get to come out far enough to pull from the right side.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Wait, you were removing the cotter pin every time you took the upper off? I missed that completely. Absolutely zero reason to do that. As Carp said, it's just like an AR....except most of mine seem to seat a lot tighter than my ARs and is harder to get to come out far enough to pull from the right side.
    Yep I am that big of an idiot. Granted I've only removed it 2 or 3 times now but I'll be doing it a lot more in the future so I'm glad I asked. I see a cotter pin I remove a cotter pin. Simple Man like that LOL
    Merlin and TexasChris like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors