Fun range day with my new XCR-L! WEEOOOO!

Thread: Fun range day with my new XCR-L! WEEOOOO!

Fun range day with my new XCR-L! WEEOOOO!

I took my lady and a friend who just got his firearms license to the Victoria Fish and Game Club yesterday. I just got my XCR in .223/5.56 recently and have been itching to get it out. So despite the 3pm traffic jams we had to wade through, and the fact that we missed the turn off (my bad) we finally made it there. I mounted a low mount Vortex Strikefire onto my XCR and quickly had it sighted in. The Strikefire has a 4MOA dot which I think is pretty decent, although I found it to be asymmetrically shaped. The lens caps that come with it are absolute garbage, and nearly impossible to close without having a fierce battle in order to get them to close properly. Other than that I found it to work great with the cheek weld on the first gen skeleton stock the XCR comes with. The XCR was enjoyed by all (most of all myself), and was more accurate than I expected. I managed to be able to hit a approx 4'x4' steel plate at the 200yrd mark every time with minimal effort. I managed to get a couple half decent groupings at 100 yards (keeping in mind the Strikefire has a 4MOA dot) as pictured below. Even my friend, and lady were doing pretty well with it. It was definitely the favorite as my 44mag packs a punch with the loads I make for it, and left us all with some nice shoulder bruises. One of the guys at the range seemed very interested in the rifle and I told him all about it and where he could get one, so hopefully I converted another innocent soul into the black rifle addiction...

We ended up shooting for a few hours and I think everyone (especially me) had a great time.

So here is a quick breakdown of my setup.

1st gen Robinson Armament XCR-L
    Vortex Strikefire Optc Mounted
    Wolf Polyform 55gr FMJ
    Mags used: LAR15, Beo Metal mag

Unfortunately I just got my PMAGs in the mail today so I didn't get to use them...

Also I noted that POI=POA at 25 yards, but the POI shifted upwards from POA past that, so I had to aim lower for farther ranges such as 100yrds and 200yrds. I found this odd, but oh well.

Anywho enjoy the pics!

Girlfriends Group at 25 yrds:

Me sighting in the Strikefire at 25 yrds

Girlfriend Shooting

Me

Carter

Group at 100yrds after I learned to aim below the target from the POI shift

My first group at 100yrds not knowing that there was a POI shift upwards. Not bad considering the 4MOA dot IMO

Any day at the range, especially when things go like they should, is a good day. Thanks for pictures and range report
    "Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." - Pres. A. Lincoln

Spotted the problem for you - the optic is too close to the deck.
    I ran across this not too long ago, when a kid needed help getting his new AR zeroed.
    If you like the optic at that height, then it's all cool - you'll just need to learn the zero. If not, raising it would be beneficial.
    If you do leave it there, experiment with zeroes at different yardages (using a 25M zero, run it from 25 to 400 - then repeat after changing to a 100M zero, etc. You'll find a zero that shoots flatter with that optic height).
    Nice pics! Looks like a good time!
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that canít be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo View Post
    Spotted the problem for you - the optic is too close to the deck.
    I ran across this not too long ago, when a kid needed help getting his new AR zeroed.
    If you like the optic at that height, then it's all cool - you'll just need to learn the zero. If not, raising it would be beneficial.
    If you do leave it there, experiment with zeroes at different yardages (using a 25M zero, run it from 25 to 400 - then repeat after changing to a 100M zero, etc. You'll find a zero that shoots flatter with that optic height).
    Nice pics! Looks like a good time!
    It's not the optic height, the bullet is still rising at 100 yards. So if you zero POI at 25, yes the POI at 100 with that zero will be higher.

That's actually a good mount height for the XCR. The cheek weld is lower with the tube stock than an AR, so you probably don't want the sights mounted as high off the receiver.

Fun range day with my new XCR-L! WEEOOOO!-chart1.gif

That guy, he said I should be oblong and have my knees removed. But I don't trust him, he plays the banjo.

Ok, then don't do the homework. No sweat off my back.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that canít be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Ooooh that Mare's Leg is nice!

I need one.

Sponsors