XCR Forum banner

New handgun (first one)

6K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  cjt50 
#1 ·
Well I finally bit the bullet and added my first handgun to the armory, odds are this is the only one I will ever buy. It is a RIA 1911 .45acp, nice build quality, has been very reliable in the 200 rounds I have put through it so far, accuracy is POA (I have only tested it out to 25 yards) and the price was right at only $400.

Only one problem, 45 is not cheap and I went through 40$ of it in 15 minutes at the range. ouch.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice, that's a good looking pistol.

Yeah, I've had the same issues with ammo though. One of the shops here had a good deal on some decent brass cased stuff a while back at $13.95 / box. I should have bought all they had, but when I went back I bought their last box and they haven't gotten any more in.

#3 ·
My future father-in-law got a RIA Tactical .45 for his birthday last year. I was very surprised with the quality of it especially for the price tag ($435.00). Congrats on your first handgun. May it not be your last!

If you don't plan on buying another pistol (like a 9mm) that's cheaper to shoot and you don't reload, you might consider looking into one of the numerous .22LR conversion kits available for 1911's.

#6 ·
Yes I do believe the design is over 100 years old...

#8 ·
Although I know it existed for testing before being adopted, do you know of any plans for the 100 year anniversary? I'm kinda "meh" on the 1911 myself (I don't like manual safeties much) but I might be convinced to get an anniversary model.

#18 ·
Yes, I believe Colt has a 100th Anniversary model planned. I would be surprised if there were not others planned.

#12 ·
Instead of red and blue states we could have .45 or .38 Super states with a few independent states of 9x23 and 10mm! I can hear it now, "Those 38 Super guys always want to raise property taxes to buy more dueling trees."

#15 ·
Hehe. My first was a 1911 also 23 yrs ago. Colt MK IV Ser 80 They were $380 retail in 1987. Still have it.

#22 ·
He he. My first was a 1911 also 23 yrs ago. Colt MK IV Ser 80 They were 0 retail in 1987. Still have it.
He he. My first was a 1911 also 29 yrs ago. Colt MK IV Ser70. They were $350 retail in 1981. Still have it. Me too!
Then I bought an AR15 SP1 brand new for $350 which I still have. I said at that time I did not need to purchase another gun. Ya, right! I now have many more than I ever dreamed of having. I don't trade or sell. I keep them all. The point being: never say never, it might bite you in the arse! I still haven't figured out how I got out of control though most of my purchases came during the Clinton years!

SheepDog :2rifle:

#20 ·
1911's are always good. too bad I didn't have the cash at the time otherwise I would have bought one; instead I went with the always wonderful XD45.

#28 ·
I LOOOOVE 1911's... they are the sweetness of honey kissed from the lips of a fine lady. Here is my next one:

My first was a Kimber CDPII, then I got a COLT series 70 (sold it), then got a Kimber Custom Classic (no schwartz safety), then I had Springfield Commander sized I gave to my father, then I had a Springfield V-16 Longslide that shot .45 Super (sold it last fall), then I had a Remington Rand WWII original 1911 that I eventually sold. Now I will have this. I will probably sell the two Kimbers this year to finance one more of these.

The RIA's are pretty reliable pistols, I think you will be happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.