12.5ish Grendel Pistol.... - Page 3
Like Tree12Likes
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12.5ish Grendel Pistol....

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    I'd have to go back through some other threads but I thought someone posted ADCO wasn't doing xcr barrels anymore.
    That's what I'd read too.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Steve at ADCO says it's "fake news". Sounds like they're still an option.
    Sean K. and TexasChris like this.

Good to know.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Is that a AAC brake/flash hider? If so, do you know the model?

I wish those MountainMan folding charging handles had Forward Assist (and they were still available). That looks really sharp on there and probably makes storage easier since you don't have the giant knob sticking out. Though to be honest, I don't know that I've ever had the bolt not go home on my XCRs when doing a chamber check.
    Yah I over thought it years ago and sold mine to go back to stock. If it's your SHTF rifle, the forward assist is kind of like a fire extinguisher: you've not need one, but you wish you had when you do.
    Sean K. likes this.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

I too wish the folding charging handles were still available. Truly innovative for this platform.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Steve at ADCO says it's "fake news". Sounds like they're still an option.
    Haven't emailed ADCO but it *looks* like they no longer do fluting on any bbls. Maybe that's what we were reading. I was just looking for fluting options for weight reduction on my -M Hbar and X39 Hbar on their site. No options for fluting now. Just profiling and dimpling.

Just sent an email asking....I'll post up the results.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 06-18-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Haven't emailed ADCO but it *looks* like they no longer do fluting on any bbls. Maybe that's what we were reading. I was just looking for fluting options for weight reduction on my -M Hbar and X39 Hbar on their site. No options for fluting now. Just profiling and dimpling.

Just sent an email asking....I'll post up the results.

Steve's (ADCO) response was a little vague. I asked:

You used to flute bbls (5 and 6 flute if I recall correctly). I no longer see the service in your gunsmithing section; just profiling and dimpling. Is that correct? If so, do you have any recommendations for companies that can flute Robinson Armament XCR bbls (or AR bbls)?

His response:

Sorry, I'm not sure who flutes barrels?

To which I've replied:

So you no longer do fluting then? Just to clarify.

I'll post up the answer but it sure looks like they no longer do fluting work.

Steve's answer:

Correct.

My reply:

Thanks. I'm guessing there were a lot of problems with the service and maybe it's not a great idea.

Steve: No, the problem was people got too picky. We offered fluting for years and no one complained. All of a sudden the milling marks in the flutes that always existed were no longer acceptable and everyone complained. So we quit offering it. From the other places I spoke to, they stopped offering for the same reason.
    Steve

So apparently, if you want fluting....you need to go elsewhere. No idea who does fluting for XCR bbls, but I looked in to it and most places that flute seem to focus on either a custom bbl (don't work on ones you send in) or bolt guns. The ones that do AR are pretty AR specific and said that if it was other than AR, you'd incur custom fixturing fees to hold a non-AR bbl for the fluting process so you don't get chatter and get a good surface finish. Custom fixturing started at $125 at the sites that listed a price in addition to the ~$140 to $275 for the fluting.

Sounds like re-profiling/contouring an RA HBar might make the most sense now....cost from ADCO is $120 for a the whole bbl. But...you can buy a light profile from RA for $400, so you've got to do a cost/benefit analysis to see if the extra $280 or so makes sense to get an additional complete bbl assembly.
    Last edited by Sean K.; Yesterday at 08:11 AM.

These guys fluted an xcr Hbar for me. I had them do the “wrought iron” https://www.longriflesinc.com/produc...nt=11249278401

Edit...looks like their prices went up!

Quote Originally Posted by averageSantini View Post
    These guys fluted an xcr Hbar for me. I had them do the “wrought iron” https://www.longriflesinc.com/produc...nt=11249278401

Edit...looks like their prices went up!
    Yep...that's one of the places I looked at. Prices are no longer reasonable for the service from what I can tell.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsors