Question on 6.5G and the X39 XCR Bolt?

Thread: Question on 6.5G and the X39 XCR Bolt?

Question on 6.5G and the X39 XCR Bolt?

Does it use the 7.62x39 bolt? I'm assuming so since that's the parent case, right?

What about mags?

Looks like Elander's site says something "new" is coming. https://www.e-lander.co.il/ Are they still the go to for reliable 6.5G mags?

I'm thinking of using my Unimags or ASCs seen here:

https://ammosc.com/products/magazine...agazine-detail

Price on the Elanders seem comparable to the ASCs within a few dollars...so I'd go with whatever is known to be good to go.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 12-25-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

Yes on the x39 bolt. I asked Alex about using a type 1 x39 bolt and he was pretty adamant(without giving details) that RA wouldn't recommend that and they would only ship grendels in type 2. That was years ago and I've never followed up and I haven't tried it myself.

I've been using the elanders and they've been fine. By no means hard use though. The 24(?)rders I've got have all been 100% fully loaded in an AR and XCR so far.

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    Yes on the x39 bolt. I asked Alex about using a type 1 x39 bolt and he was pretty adamant(without giving details) that RA wouldn't recommend that and they would only ship grendels in type 2. That was years ago and I've never followed up and I haven't tried it myself.

I've been using the elanders and they've been fine. By no means hard use though. The 24(?)rders I've got have all been 100% fully loaded in an AR and XCR so far.
    Well if you can't run it in a Type 1, I'm probably out. I doubt I'd convert an existing and buying a whole Type 2 for the caliber makes it less desirable since I'd only need a bbl at this point if I could use the Type 1 bolt. I wonder the reasoning. Guess an email is in order. **ETA** Sent an email...will update if I get a response.***

Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 12-25-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Some weights for my own reference.

My POF DI Revolution in .308 with a 16.5" bbl, BCM KAG, factory brake/furniture except BMC rail panels and MIAD grip. Troy standard front sight and Magpul Pro rear with 1-8X Primary Arms ACSS Scope on a RECON-SL ADM QD mount.

8 lbs. 13.2 oz.

.308 XCR-M 16" HBAR Keymod stnd. upper with Type 2 gas, troy micros, KAG, small 3 slot rail panel for bipod mount, MIAD, GGG-1199 bolt gun QD scope mount, GRSC 1-6x24 scope, BCM KM sling mount, PRI 3 slot brake:

10 lbs 13 oz.

.308 XCR-M 12" HBAR KM stnd. upper, type 3 gas, troy micros, KAG, 3 slot rail, MIAD, VG6 gamma .300 blk brake...no scope/mount

8 lbs. 8 oz. Add roughly 24 oz for 1-8X PA ACSS and GGG-1199 QD scope mount....so ~10 lbs.

5.56 XCR-L competition KM upper, type 3 buried gas, light bbl profile 16", A2 FH, 3 slot rail panel, MIAD, GGG-1199 QD scope mount, Leupold 1.5-5X scope, BCM KM sling mount, troy micros:

9 lbs. 5 oz.

7.62x39 XCR-L standard railed upper, Type 3 gas, HBAR 16", VG6 Gamma .300 blk brake, Troy micros, Leupold QD rings, 1-6X24 Primary Arms ACSS scope for X39, MIAD:

9 lbs. 11 oz.

If I profile the x39 bbl to "light" at ADCO...I save ~6 oz. .....exactly the amount the 5.56 XCR-L with the comp KM differs from the X39 XCR-L 16" (keep in mind the KM comp upper weighs almost exactly the same as the full railed stnd. length upper).

The 6 oz. is noticeably lighter. I actually thought the 5.56 comp upper XCR-L felt similar to the POF Revolution....even though it's 8 oz. heavier.

Conclusion: the 6.5G XCR-L in a KM comp upper 16" light profile bbl with scope is going to weigh in around 9 lbs. 5 oz.....a full half pound more than the POF in .308, but 1.5 lbs lighter than the XCR-L 16" HBAR, so if I prefer the XCR operating system...it still makes some sense.
    Last edited by Sean K.; 01-11-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Well if you can't run it in a Type 1, I'm probably out. I doubt I'd convert an existing and buying a whole Type 2 for the caliber makes it less desirable since I'd only need a bbl at this point if I could use the Type 1 bolt. I wonder the reasoning. Guess an email is in order. **ETA** Sent an email...will update if I get a response.***

Thanks for the heads up.
    I never got an answer on the reason as to why you have to have a Type 2 bolt...but I'm guessing it's b/c of the different "carrier tails" seen here:

https://robinsonarmament.com/xcr-l-bolt-carrier-parts/

for different calibers.

What I don't really get is the way the "carrier tails" break down...especially since 6.5G and 7.62x39 share the same parent case....I'd think they'd use the same "tail"....but it shows the x39 Russians using one type versus the other calibers...guessing due to the length of the cartridge, not the diameter....but I thought 6.5G was a X39 as well. Beats me.

My understanding for the carrier tails was for the harder primers on the Russian stuff. The Russian tail allows slightly more travel of the firing pin. It's enough that you can tell side by side with the naked eye.

I kind of feel like it's just Robinson covering themselves if something bad happens. There was the guy on the forum that used a type 1 bolt in a type 2 barrier. It worked. I don't think the grendel in a type 1 would carry as big an issue as a type 1 bolt and a type 2 carrier though. It would seem the critical dimensions are close enough for a type 1 grendel to work, seeing how there's no other talk of not mixing other old barrels with type 2 bolts but obviously RA doesn't recommend it for the general

Quote Originally Posted by navalbeaver View Post
    My understanding for the carrier tails was for the harder primers on the Russian stuff. The Russian tail allows slightly more travel of the firing pin. It's enough that you can tell side by side with the naked eye.

I kind of feel like it's just Robinson covering themselves if something bad happens. There was the guy on the forum that used a type 1 bolt in a type 2 barrier. It worked. I don't think the grendel in a type 1 would carry as big an issue as a type 1 bolt and a type 2 carrier though. It would seem the critical dimensions are close enough for a type 1 grendel to work, seeing how there's no other talk of not mixing other old barrels with type 2 bolts but obviously RA doesn't recommend it for the general

Right. And I can see that. I think it's a case of CYA for Rob Arms. I bet one could run a 6.5G bbl and a Type 1 BCG in a Type 1 lower....but I'd rather not try it and blow up a gun either.

Sponsors