XCR-M at the range
Like Tree145Likes
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: XCR-M at the range

XCR-M at the range

Got to shoot my M for the first time today. 18", full length upper with quad rail (I know, it's already "old")

I've been waiting to figure out what optics and mounts I wanted to put on the top. Finally got everything in hand, installed and ended up with some free time.

I started at 25 to get a rough zero with the scope. 2 strings of 5. Not slow fire but not very fast either. All holes were touching for both groups.

Moved out to 100. I got a little over zealous at this point. I dialed down the gas and put a suppressor on. Group of 5 opened up A LOT. 2 failure to extract (2nd lowest setting), short stroke, gas turned up to 2nd highest, worked fine. Not happy with the accuracy.

Removed the can, (still on 2nd highest). Got through 4 rounds. Got approx 2 MOA with those. Stuck case with broken rim on the 4th round. Nothing to tap it out so I was done for the day.

Overall, happy with my setup and the feel of the rifle. Really like the trigger.

I should know better about the gas but I was excited. It'll be full open for the next several range sessions.

My ammo was some Malay surplus. Had some other stuff to try but didn't get to it today. If that stuff will hold 2 MOA. I'm happy with it.

Not happy about the group opening up with the addition of the can. I'll do some checking of mounts etc and try some different ammo to see what I can do about that.

Ejection pattern was a little errattic. Some went forward to the 1:30, 2 o'clock. others went back to 4 o'clock. In the same group of 5. The suppressed rounds that cycled properly went to the 4 o'clock.... 45 feet away. I didn't find them until I was done and all cleaned up. I'm hoping that with some break in and a lower gas setting, that will diminish. Some of the shells on my L's are thrown 50'+ when shooting with a can. That's on the S setting.

Hoping to get to the range again tomorrow. Will update. Sorry for the lack of pics.

2" with surplus is good.

"Removed the can, (still on 2nd highest). Got through 4 rounds. Got approx 2 MOA with those. Stuck case with broken rim on the 4th round. Nothing to tap it out so I was done for the day."

hmmm. That cleaning rod attached to an AK is beginning to make sense now.

Hey Nate, are you running a chrome lined bore or the SS bbl?
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by crusoe View Post
    2" with surplus is good.

"Removed the can, (still on 2nd highest). Got through 4 rounds. Got approx 2 MOA with those. Stuck case with broken rim on the 4th round. Nothing to tap it out so I was done for the day."

hmmm. That cleaning rod attached to an AK is beginning to make sense now.
    The AK guys would say the AK doesn't need it!

Sean, I'm assuming it's the chrome.

I actually got it from another dealer (just over dealer cost, I didn't want to wait). Are they offering SS? I'm not real savvy with the M stuff so far. I only got this one because I was bored and on the web.

SS was the only original offering. My understanding is SS only came in HBAR. If you have a light/med profile, it's likely chrome lined......Theoretically, the SS shouldn't have the extraction issues since the chamber is reamed to the correct size and not coated.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

It's a heavy profile. low 800s on the SN.

I'd guess SS then....but I'm not sure. Sorry I'm not more help.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

What can were you using? I now have 2 30 cal cans and can experiment to see which can/rifle combo "plays together" the best. I haven't yet tried a can on my XCR-M. My recently received Ark30 cut my 6.8 AR groups by over 50%!

Barrel is chrome lined.

I used a sdn-6. I've got some other options to use. Thread on may be the way to go.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsors