XCR-M: Fluting a light barrel - Page 2
Like Tree7Likes
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: XCR-M: Fluting a light barrel

Went to zero at 200 yds today. Wind was a pain in the ass (gusty). However, there were a few groups I managed to send off while the wind was low and my natural point of aim was solid.

Bottom line: 3-inch groups at 200 yds = approx 1.5 MOA out of this thing. I'm pretty pumped!!!

Need to go back when the wind is dead calm just to really nail down my zero, but it's like 95% there.XCR-M: Fluting a light barrel-img_20150124_143454067_hdr.jpgXCR-M: Fluting a light barrel-img_20150124_133749024_hdr.jpg

One caveat I will say (not to insult anyone), but you REALLY have to have a good setup so you can get a SOLID natural point of aim. I thought my trigger squeeze was good enough but when I started out I was getting 8-inch groups at 100 yds, swearing I saw the crosshairs on the target as the bullet went off. But then I really focused on closing my eyes, exhaling, and opening them to see where the crosshairs were. If they didn't naturally fall right on the bullseye, I had to adjust my body (not the gun) until it was right on. Unless you do make sure you do that, those rounds are gonna fly. Most of you probably know all that but I thought I'd throw it out there.
    Last edited by Mjmastr; 01-24-2015 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crusoe View Post
    We are looking forward to a before and after accuracy report. It looks good.
    See my last post--much better than I was expecting.

Also of note, I now have to keep it on the highest gas setting to keep it cycling properly (now that the barrel is so much shorter). Doesn't bother me though--as long as she works

With regards to the POA.

I've been paying a lot more attention to how I shoot my M the last couple of sessions. Solid bipod mount sand bag under the stock and made sure I wasn't forcing the rifle in a direction it didn't want to go. Lots of positive pressure on the stock, into my shoulder and at the cheek weld. Earlier sessions were 4-6" at 100. Now I'm consistently at 2-2.5".
    I'm not a competition shooter but my comparison between the M and my stock bolt gun (yes they're two different platforms so they will "shoot" differently) with the same ammo and conditions left me really disappointed in the M. Until RA can tell me my rifle is in spec, and there being a known problem with certain rifles, I'm hesitant to chalk it up to just my ability.

If RA comes back and says the rifle's good...... Shit. If there's a problem, I'd hope they fix it and the rifle shoots consistently.

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

That does not look safe. I linked it to the engineer. I will talk to him about it.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleNurple View Post
    That does not look safe. I linked it to the engineer. I will talk to him about it.
    If you're talking about ADCO's fluting, the company has a good reputation and I'm sure their safety minimums for barrel wall thickness are well-considered. I have several ADCO-fluted HBARs -- I just can't imagine any significant weight savings from fluting a light barrel. (But maybe the -M LBAR is a heavier profile than the -L in 7.62x39.)
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

The re-contour left a pretty sharp angle right in front of the chamber. That is what makes me nervous.

Not only does the barrel contain the pressure of the round it also takes on the stress of the operating system.
    Last edited by PurpleNurple; 01-25-2015 at 01:39 PM.

The re-contour left a pretty sharp angle right in front of the chamber. That is what makes me nervous.
    Interesting. Well, so far so good. Let me know what the engineer says. Thanks!

Here's another pic of the barrel.XCR-M: Fluting a light barrel-img_20150116_105159972.jpgXCR-M: Fluting a light barrel-img_20150116_105112418.jpg
    Last edited by Mjmastr; 01-25-2015 at 04:22 PM.

Ya, looks like a stress riser.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

So it could double as a grenade?
    "Spes Mea in Deo Est"--My hope is in GOD
    The antidote for fifty enemies is one friend.--Aristotle

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsors