XCR-M: Fluting a light barrel - Page 3
Like Tree7Likes
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XCR-M: Fluting a light barrel

So today was disappointing…
    Started out shooting US M80 Ball at 100 yds. First two groups shown here (I did adjust the windage in between shot groups). Just about 1”

On the 3rd group (5 shots) it seemed to start grouping 4-5 inches below where it was hitting just moments before. Overall about a 5" group.
    XCR-M: Fluting a light barrel-img_20150128_092333275_hdr.jpg

Then I decided to bring it in to 50 yds and fire at a very slow rate (1 shot per min). I was able to see where the rounds impacted in the order that I shot them. The first one was about 2.5", the next was just under 4"
    XCR-M: Fluting a light barrel-img_20150128_100038056_hdr.jpg
    XCR-M: Fluting a light barrel-img_20150128_100031194_hdr.jpg

For the last group, I did rapid fire of 10 rounds. Still not compromising fundamentals. Bulls eye was right on every time the round went off. 3.5" again, at only 50 yds
    XCR-M: Fluting a light barrel-img_20150128_100524120_hdr.jpg

Now I know I got the whiz-bang short fluted barrel, but has anyone else experienced this as well? Is it the barrel or something else? The gas tube seems to fit pretty snug and doesn’t rattle. The scope is on there solid.
    The easy button is blaming this on the fluting/contouring job but could this be due to something else?
    I may have nulled the warranty by sending my barrel to ADCO, but can RA still fix it? I know it might not be for free but at this point I don’t have any other options.
    Last edited by Mjmastr; 01-29-2015 at 10:35 AM.

I doubt it's the fluting. While I have read that fluting can slightly compromise accuracy (due to the flutes not being identical and different portions of the barrel heating and expanding differently), I suspect that vertical stringing has some other cause. Did you notice whether your group is "walking" up or down?
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

Sorry -- I just clicked on your photos and noticed you numbered the shots. Difficult to diagnose via the Internet, but given that they go up and down, if you were using the same ammo throughout, shooter error is the most likely culprit. Were you shooting from sandbags or something similar? Was your cheekweld and grip the same for each shot?
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Yah, like Wombat said. Would be interesting to see this one and Nate's shot from a sled... to rule out the human factor.
    Fool-proofing serves only one purpose: identify bigger fools.

I'm telling you right now, 4" groups at 50 yds, for me, is not shooter error. Everything was consistent. Bipod. Positive forward pressure on the stock & consistent cheek weld. Stuffed rucksack underneath the stock & lower. The thing was rock solid and the cross hairs were right on at the moment the round went off every time. Natural point of aim was perfect. Grip was consistent. I have zeroed a SCAR at 100 yds many times with 1" groups and no bipod. I've zeroed M4s literally dozens of time with tight groups. Something is fishy with this thing. I don't mean to sound cocky, but I have never shot 4" groups at 50 yards with that much going into making my shooting platform solid. Plus, my first two groups seemed okay, and then it just started to open up. This is crazy! Haha yeah I should just put it on a sled just to make sure, but I really don't want to invest in one...
    Last edited by Mjmastr; 01-28-2015 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjmastr View Post
    I'm telling you right now, 4" groups at 50 yds, for me, is not shooter error. Everything was consistent. Bipod. Positive forward pressure on the stock & consistent cheek weld. Stuffed rucksack underneath the stock & lower. The thing was rock solid and the cross hairs were right on at the moment the round went off every time. Natural point of aim was perfect. Grip was consistent. I have zeroed a SCAR at 100 yds many times with 1" groups and no bipod. I've zeroed M4s literally dozens of time with tight groups. Something is fishy with this thing. I don't mean to sound cocky, but I have never shot 4" groups at 50 yards with that much going into making my shooting platform solid. Plus, my first two groups seemed okay, and then it just started to open up. This is crazy! Haha yeah I should just put it on a sled just to make sure, but I really don't want to invest in one...
    Then it ain't you. It's the gun. Sorry for what seems to be a remedial course in shooting basics, but you're new to the forum and the vast majority of shooters (myself included) are not great shots at any real distance nor are they good MOA shooters from a bench at 100 yards. When people are making recommendations about how to shoot precision, they are doing so b/c we don't know your background; nothing more.

Based on what you're saying....you're one of the ones that actually knows how to get MOA results with other platforms so there's no reason for us to think that the fault lies with you.

I think what this boils down to is that the -M, like the -L is a battle rifle. It's not generally going to be a precision paper puncher. Bravo has proven you can hit man sized targets all day at 500-800 yards....if you are a very good shooter and you know your rifle. If you're looking for MOA or better for paper punching and tight groups, the -M isn't really a good choice. But, then again, in Canada....they don't have a whole lot to choose from in a semi-auto .308.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

No offense taken brother. I appreciate the insight. I can totally accept that the M is not going to be a 1 MOA gun, but right now it's shooting 5-7 MOA. That leads me to believe it's not just the nature of the XCR-M, but some defect.
    Last edited by Mjmastr; 01-29-2015 at 10:37 AM.

No offense taken brother. I appreciate the insight. I can totally accept that the M is not going to be a 1 MOA gun, but right now it's shooting 5-7 MOA. That leads me to believe it's not just the nature of the XCR-M, but some defect.
    I'd agree there....problem is: Alex has a hard time admitting his product ever has any flaws, so expect him to blame you, the ammo or your modding the bbl by fluting it.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants; the creed of slaves."-William Pitt the Younger

No offense taken brother. I appreciate the insight. I can totally accept that the M is not going to be a 1 MOA gun, but right now it's shooting 6-8 MOA. That leads me to believe it's not just the nature of the XCR-M, but some defect.
    Mjmastr....I took the liberty to alert RobArms about your issue and this thread....Alex called and talked to me yesterday....not sure how you can get the complete upper back to them (You are in Canada correct?) If so go through your distributor/FFL.....I am real sure the factory can solve the problem(I am pretty sure the problem is Not just the barrel)....contact [email protected];[email protected]
    KermitZ
    Merlin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps96Kz View Post
    Mjmastr....I took the liberty to alert RobArms about your issue and this thread....Alex called and talked to me yesterday....not sure how you can get the complete upper back to them (You are in Canada correct?) If so go through your distributor/FFL.....I am real sure the factory can solve the problem(I am pretty sure the problem is Not just the barrel)....contact [email protected];[email protected]
    KermitZ
    Kermit's the Man or Frog.
    mjorin likes this.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsors