Stuck rounds, managed to clear. - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck rounds, managed to clear.

Got back from a rifle shoot late last night. 5 hours to get me into Northern Utah, west of the Salt Lake, and then 6 hours back due to traffic crossing Salt Lake City.

That XCR runs just fine, although I had a moment of "WTF?"
    The bolt locked up tight on my first two rounds down the tube. Had to pogo the rifle, as there wasn't any budging that casing outta the chamber elsewise. And it was an empty in the chamber both times.
    HINT: if you're cleaning your -M, while watching Walking Dead, always make sure you get the right setting on the regulator before you try to shoot for score. Yeah, I had it bottomed out - DUH. Stupid nooby mistake!

In the end, I was 3 points lower than first place (almost everyone there was shooting "expert") - I pulled third.
    I'd be somewhat disappointed with myself, except for the fact that I chose to run the rifle off of the sling, where most everyone else (and that includes the top 2 guys) were running their rifles off of bipods or some kind of rest.

Two things became apparent:
    1. I suck at shooting that rifle left-handed, offhand position, under time. Gotta work on it. And I'm settled on changing out my FAST stock somehow. That angled cheekpiece smacked my left cheek pretty hard (no time to adjust the LOP on the stock). Got a little red bruise under my left eye. My guess is that my head sets slightly more forward on the stock when shooting left-handed. If I can get a flat cheekpiece, I'll keep it, at least for now. Elsewise I'll go to a Magpul stock.
    2. I suck at reholstering while sprinting. On the move I'm slick, but not at a sprint. They had a funky stage of shooting a plate rack on the move, then reholster while running to the rifle - then engaging with the rifle. On retrospect, I felt like Mel Brooks not being able to get his pen in the pen holder until Harvey Korman says "think of your secretary"..... I'll work on that a little too, although not much. I've never heard of anything bad happening to someone because they couldn't reholster a loaded pistol fast enough.

Those 175 SMK bullets sure do smack the steel well. I've liked them for years. Hopefully those Hornady 168 AMAXes will be just as good, when I switch to them completely!
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Sounds like you did pretty dang good! I have about 500 168G AMAX and cant wait to get some load development done with them. Ive found that only one type of factory loading cycles reliably on setting 3, everything else on 4 which kinda sucks but Oh Well!

I have the Magpul UBR stock on mine and love it!

After 3 years I have found some 175 grain SMK for my 5R am I going to be pleased with them and do you think I should use winchester casings for the volume ore Norma brass? Also I have 500 A MAX from Hornady 208 grain for my new 300 win mag I'm hoping they work good or do you guys have a better bullet brass combo for a win mag

thanks Jason!

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Marty, that UBR is exactly what I was thinking of.... You don't have problems with shooting it in awkward positions do you?
    On those AMAX bullets, I'd bet you'll really like them. The BC on the Hornady isn't developed the same way they are on the Sierra, so you can't compare numbers. I tried, and was really surprised when the AMAX shot a lot flatter than what I had figured that it would. Between that, the fact that I seem to be able to get them easier - and cheaper - than the SMKs, the accuracy is at least as good, and the fact that the ZMAX is cheaper still on bulk (the AMAX and the ZMAX are the same bullet with different colored polymer tips), I don't see a reason to stick with the SMK.

Jason, on your brass, it kinda depends on what you're going to do with it. For closer-range stuff or fast shooting, you won't see enough difference to make the Norma worth the price difference IMHO. For longer range, the Norma gets the nod - the only brass I like more for that than Norma is Lapua..... That having been said, I used to shoot Winchester in service rifle for the slowfire offhand, and rapidfire prone and sitting. I couldn't tell the difference.....
    For the 300WM, it'd be hard to beat those 208's, but try some of their 178 AMAX bullets too. They're flatter shooting up close, but have more wind drift further out too. Just kinda depends on what you're doing with them.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Oh nice to here ya I only paid 45 cent for the a max and 208 match but I'm going to go for distance and I can't find lapua around here !! I here winchester has a 57 grain water volume with with 4064 should keep a 175 super sonic to 1000 yards does the Norma have the volume to stay supersonic in 308

thanks Jason!

I haven't run a casing yet that wouldn't let me hit at 1K, but 4064 isn't the powder I'd recommend.
    Run that puppy full of Varget, or possibly IMR 4166 if you feel like experimenting. In 308, especially a boltgun, it's the ticket. In a gasgun, I recommend Varget over all else - at least until I can get enough experience on 4166 to make a better statement.

I second Varget......... Even though its hard enough to find without telling others how awesome it is!

Bravo; The UBR stock works quite well in most shooting positions for me - with one caveat : optics.
    What I mean by that is depending on the eye relief on your optic, and the general shape of your face/head may cause a minor issue.

For example.... I have a HiLux CMR 1-4. Not the greatest eye relief - my only real dislike about this scope (aside from not being a true 1x). So I had it mounted further back as Im 6'4'' and utilise most stocks to their limit of travel. Now being somewhat jowly..... yes jowly..... I found that part of my face, right in front on my ear - back of my jaw - would pinch slightly from recoil and the back of the UBR buffer tube pushing back. Now I moved my optic maybe a 1/4" or so and that fixed the issue, but it is something to consider as this stock is a little different than your regular buttstock.

Now to get myself a Sightron S3 1-7.......
    Bravo likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsors