Stuck rounds, managed to clear.
Like Tree4Likes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck rounds, managed to clear.

Stuck rounds, managed to clear.

So i managed to get my XCR-M out to the range for about 7 and a half hours yesterday. I had about 120 factory ammo in various weights from Nosler, Federal, Winchester, Hornady etc.
    I also loaded 50 rounds with 168g AMAX's at chargeweights of 42.0, 42.5, 43.0, 43.5 and 44.0 grains of Varget to do some load development. Also loaded about 17 AMAX's that were pulled using a kinetic puller which really messes up the poly tip - these were to get me sighted in. Well let the bolt go on a full mag and the bolt got stuck not fully into battery. Took about 30 min of work to remove the damn round and man was it scratched to shit! Put another in with the bolt locked back, fed by hand to see and yep, didnt chamber either.

All the factory ammunition worked flawless and shot really well. I was averaging about 1.75 moa at 100 yards using a HiLux CMR 1-4 which for me I find quite acceptable especially as I usually run high end scopes with large magnifications. Even the crappy Norinco copper washed junk shot about 3 MOA 10 round groups!

So Im not new to reloading - started about 10 years ago or so and Im pretty anal when it comes to reloading ie neck tension/neck turning etc as I used to shoot FClass etc. I have Lee 3 die set for .308, and a RCBS 2 die set for .308 and just picked up a Redding Body Die for - yup you guessed it - .308.

Now the reloads I was using were FL sized after being once fired in the RCBS dies. They work fine in my buddys Savage 10TR. Would I need to buy a small base FL die? Or do you think the redding body will do? Ive loaded for a Kel Tec .308 with no issues and a T97 (bullpup .223) with using standard dies. This is my first issue with reloads not fitting.

What does everyone think?
    Thanks in advance!

Heres the XCR-M!
    XCR-M OD Green in .308
    Heavy Barrel, Quad rail
    NEA stock adaptor
    Magpul UBR OD Green buttstock
    PWS FSC-30 MuzzleBrake
    Fab Defence Foregrip
    TDi Arms rail covers
    Urban Tactical ERT sling with Troy QD sling mount
    HiLux CMR 1-4
    Burris XTR 6screw rings (highs) - pic showing Vortex Low rings
    Not shown - Magpul BUIS on 45* offest mounts
    Stuck rounds, managed to clear.-imag0643.jpg
    Last edited by MadMarty911; 03-12-2015 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

It's not easy to figure out with the info you've got at this point.....
    Did you check the body length with a comparator? The reason I ask is that I've got to size my brass under SAAMI spec if I want it to chamber right.
    Not much at all (new brass is all sized under SAAMI spec), but enough that it makes a difference.
    FWIW, the way I got around that was taking the top of the shell holder down. Again, I only needed like 5 thou, but without that the brass wouldn't measure in.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

What extra info do you need?
    Hmmm. Checked and the only measurement that is off is just forward of the web, by 1 thousandth. Wonder if that could really be whats stopping the cartridge and bolt inertia?

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

I'm real preferential to the RCBS precision mic.
    My first knee-jerk reaction is that your casing is a touch too long. It could also be a touch too wide, but if you're running the casing up until the shellplate touches the bottom of the die (both are the same brand, right?) then that's probably not the case.

Of course, it COULD be your die. I helped a guy (local to me, much easier to do) with a new 270 WSM. Turned out that the die was bad. RCBS did right by him though.
    Do you really think we want laws to be observed? We want them broken. There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be crimes that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants law-abiding citizens? Pass the kind of laws that can’t be observed, enforced, or objectively interpreted - and you create a nation of law-breakers.

Have you sent your Lee neck dies in for a honing with a couple fired casings to have the die enlarged for your chamber yet ?? I was just wondering if they could have over honed the mandrel area and now you necks are to big for you chambering? And if you haven't done it yet get on the phone with Lee and get that neck die blue printed to your chamber diameter your brass will last 20 30 loads with nealing included and only full length the casings
    And Neal them 4 times out of the 20 !!!! Saves big bucks the only place I can get good brass they want 2$ ech .308 oh yes only push the brass ring build up every 5 firings to if you get you neck die resized !!! I just joined up today do you have a good load for your 308 in a 175 208 grain?? Do some more experiments and relay some more information to us and we'll be able to help further if we have more info!!!Stuck rounds, managed to clear.-uploadfromtaptalk1426223296779.jpg

thanks Jason!

Is your die seated down far enough? When I experienced what you described that was the issue.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonjeep83 View Post
    Have you sent your Lee neck dies in for a honing with a couple fired casings to have the die enlarged for your chamber yet ?? I was just wondering if they could have over honed the mandrel area and now you necks are to big for you chambering? And if you haven't done it yet get on the phone with Lee and get that neck die blue printed to your chamber diameter your brass will last 20 30 loads with nealing included and only full length the casings
    And Neal them 4 times out of the 20 !!!! Saves big bucks the only place I can get good brass they want 2$ ech .308 oh yes only push the brass ring build up every 5 firings to if you get you neck die resized !!! I just joined up today do you have a good load for your 308 in a 175 208 grain?? Do some more experiments and relay some more information to us and we'll be able to help further if we have more info!!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1426223296779.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	704.0 KB 
ID:	8438

thanks Jason!
    I used the rcbs FL die not the Lee. I always make sure my dies are burr and mark free, I also had the die setup right. I may just size some brass on each FL die and see if one is off.

Bravo, I love using the Forster ultra micrometer seating die. Won't load without one now!

Roger that on the Forster!
    As far as I'm concerned, there's not a nickle's worth of difference between the Forster Ultra and the Redding Benchrest.
    In case my intent doesn't come across right, that's some VERY high praise for the Forster.

But the RCBS precision mic isn't a die, it's a tool. You take your brass and put it in the tool, and it gives you a precise headspace reading, between the datum line and the bolt face (if you're concerned with brass stretch during extraction, there's an included adjustable dummy case you can use to get that measurement). With that, you can get your headspace set on your sizing die to just perfect. There are some other things it does well too, but for me, that's the biggie.

Gonna try that Bravo as I just use it for bullet seating.

UPDATE -

Did some FL resizing using my Lee die set, and all fit and function just fine. Either the RCBS dies are slightly out of spec or Id need the RCBS small base dies. I even tried chambering some brass that was 2.0.25 and they were fine.
    Bravo, Merlin and SLCXCR like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors