"Assault weapons ban dropped from Senate bill"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Assault weapons ban dropped from Senate bill"

"Assault weapons ban dropped from Senate bill"

Not the time to breath easier, be vigilant.

Assault weapons ban dropped from Senate bill - First Read

A ban on assault weapons won't be included in major gun legislation set to take shape this week -- all but guaranteeing it won't pass Congress.
    Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a onetime ally of the National Rifle Association, informed California Sen. Dianne Feinstein on Monday that the proposal to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines won't be included in a broad package of new gun laws that's taking shape this week and will be considered on the Senate floor in April.

"People say well, are you disappointed? Obviously I'm disappointed," Feinstein told reporters Tuesday. Feinstein has worked on gun violence issues for decades.
    “The enemies on this are very powerful. I've known that all my life,” she said.

Congress passed an assault weapons ban in 1994, but it was allowed to expire when lawmakers didn’t renew it a decade later.
    The move is a setback for President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden’s push for broad new gun control in the wake of the massacre at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school that killed 20 schoolchildren and six adults.
    The Senate still plans to vote on the ban, but only as an amendment to the larger gun bill. Feinstein also asked for a second vote on a measure that would just ban high capacity magazines for assault weapons; that's likely to garner more support.

Putting an assault weapons bill into a broad package of gun laws -- instead of insisting that Feinstein offer it as an amendment -- could have helped it earn more votes. But the ban is so controversial, including it would have likely doomed other gun restrictions that have some bipartisan support.
    Leaders are now considering how to shape the larger package and plan to release their bill this week. On the table are a bill to broaden background checks for gun buyers, a school safety measure and legislation to make gun trafficking and straw purchasing a felony punishable by up to 25 years in prison.
    The gun trafficking and school safety bills were both approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee with bipartisan support.

Yuri Gripas / Reuters
    Sen. Dianne Feinstein arrives at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on the assault weapons ban in Washington on Feb. 27, 2013.

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"
    "It Is A Weak Man Who Urges Compromise!!"

Bummer.

Looks like Harry Reid won this round.
    - Tom Aiello
    [email protected]

...I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by TomAiello View Post
    Bummer.

Looks like Harry Reid won this round.
    I'm a bit more cynical. I believe this was the plan from the start. DiFi will offer her AWB as an amendment from the floor, all of the Democrats from pro-2A states (like Claire Bear and Joey Munchkin) can vote against it (and claim in the next election that the stood up for the 2A), before voting on the "reasonable" expansion of background checks and a separate amendment to limit magazine capacity. Then, when this gets to the house, Republicans can say the stood up for the 2A by passing a version that doesn't include the mag capacity ban, only a "reasonable" expansion of background checks. It's all theater.
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

4. Remove Advertisements
    XCRForum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wombat338 View Post
    I'm a bit more cynical. I believe this was the plan from the start. DiFi will offer her AWB as an amendment from the floor, all of the Democrats from pro-2A states (like Claire Bear and Joey Munchkin) can vote against it (and claim in the next election that the stood up for the 2A), before voting on the "reasonable" expansion of background checks and a separate amendment to limit magazine capacity. Then, when this gets to the house, Republicans can say the stood up for the 2A by passing a version that doesn't include the mag capacity ban, only a "reasonable" expansion of background checks. It's all theater.
    I have to agree, "Beware the chicken in the hen house with the Red furry tail!"

Damn! I had just popped open a Mickey's Big Mouth to celebrate and now you guys are saying it is all part of a sneaky plan by politicians to take our weapons another way.

I'm so naive. I thought we had won.

No winners in this one. Long war, many battles.Name:  joust.gif
Views: 169
Size:  5.7 KBName:  usa.gif
Views: 127
Size:  11.8 KB

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Quote Originally Posted by trebor View Post
    I have to agree, "Beware the chicken in the hen house with the Red furry tail!"
    Wouldn't the tail be blue in this case?

Quote Originally Posted by Trip5896 View Post
    Wouldn't the tail be blue in this case?
    Don't wanna go there . . .
    “Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” -- James Madison

Making this public and fighting on either side makes both sides winners. Stuff like this just a smoke screen to make it look like "Look how Democracy Prevails once again"

"A number of homes in Brentwood belonging to police officers have been burglarized and even worse, the intruders stole firearms."

So apparently in Brentwood, CA the burglars are targeting police officers for their guns and probably uniforms I am thinking to perform criminal acts. Any thoughts?

"Be Vigilant and Safe!!"
    "Molon Labe!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsors